Transfer rumours

Yorkie

A striker is an absolute must in January. Assuming we're not yet in the market for any signings that are going to represent our future, I'd take even an unfashionable stopgap on loan - it would make a big difference imo. Even someone out of favour like Tosun or Long or Nketiah someone like that. Just plucking names out of a hat there but the point is, the options currently at the club are so limited, any competent striker is going to add something. Wilson needs pushing and we've no one waiting in the wings for his next inevitable injury. 

Trying to sign players with expiring contracts in January could be a good strategy. Their clubs are desperate for cash and would like to cash in January rather than losing their assets for free.

For midfielders, plenty of options. I quite like Kamara and Tchouameni (both on expiring contracts). It would be easier to focus on Kamara since Tchouameni is heavily linked with Juventus, Chelsea, ManU and the likes. There is also Zakaria from Monchengladbach.

As for the striker position, Andrea Belotti has an expiring contract and his aggressive and physical style of play suits the EPL.

13 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

A striker is an absolute must in January. Assuming we're not yet in the market for any signings that are going to represent our future, I'd take even an unfashionable stopgap on loan - it would make a big difference imo. Even someone out of favour like Tosun or Long or Nketiah someone like that. Just plucking names out of a hat there but the point is, the options currently at the club are so limited, any competent striker is going to add something. Wilson needs pushing and we've no one waiting in the wings for his next inevitable injury. 

Nketiah isn't a bad shout for another striker option with prem experience, as he is out of contract in the summer now I believe, and is the kind of young British talent Howe has typically liked. Record goal scorer for England under 21s, but hasn't quite been given enough of an opportunity to come through at Arsenal.

8 minutes ago, Khalidao said:

As for the striker position, Andrea Belotti has an expiring contract and his aggressive and physical style of play suits the EPL.

Looks a powerful player, but was very surprised at how often he went down in the Euros. Didn't seem to relish any kind of contact at all. Made me nervous about him as an option.

3 hours ago, James said:

Some effective offers may be high loan fees and a guaranteed price subject to confirmation of PL status

This might be a wise strategy. Means we can attract better players, without their apprehension of possibly playing in the Championship.

1 minute ago, Ketsbaia said:

This might be a wise strategy. Means we can attract better players, without their apprehension of possibly playing in the Championship.

It would also push those parts of the fees, should we stop up, into next year's accounts.

I honestly believe the other 19 clubs will refuse to do business with us in January.  Its difficult enough any January but they want us gone from the EPL.  They will probably refuse to do business with use in the Championship as well, if we do go down.  So no loan of EPL fringe players either, so all our business will have to be done in Europe.  What we probably can do though is hoover up all the up and coming Championship and League 1 and 2 prospects for our Academy/U23's.

No one ever guessed who we would go for when the budget was often just anyone who's on a free. Now that the budget is infinity pounds I don't think we're gonna fair any better like. :lol: Will be really interesting to see the calibre of player they're after. 

Edited by kisearch

Most interesting and exciting transfer window in recent memory. Thankfully we’ll be shopping further up the list than premier league rejects. When we start fishing in their waters, making big offers for European talent they’ll soon get sick and start offering us their unwanted. Every which way it bites them in the arse.

52 minutes ago, Ankles Bennett said:

I honestly believe the other 19 clubs will refuse to do business with us in January.  Its difficult enough any January but they want us gone from the EPL.  They will probably refuse to do business with use in the Championship as well, if we do go down.  So no loan of EPL fringe players either, so all our business will have to be done in Europe.  What we probably can do though is hoover up all the up and coming Championship and League 1 and 2 prospects for our Academy/U23's.

Sod them. There's plenty of other players that would improve us  and gladly join without even looking at PL cast-offs.

Not that they'll refuse to deal with us anyway....as someone said earlier transfers are completely agent driven, and an extra 0 to their pay will have them tripping over themselves to get players to us. 

Yes there'll be a lot of noise and bull, but ££££ speaks....when Chelsea got took over they were linked to more than 1000 players and ended up with 5

Edited by gjohnson

1 minute ago, Gaztoon said:

Does anybody truly believe clubs will so no to our money?

You think Burnley will turn down 20-25m for Tarkowski not a chance.

No they won't. They'll make a big show of 'not wanting to deal with us', but when it comes down to it it'll be a case of 'an offer too good to refuse'.

Money from a Saint is no different to the money from a Sinner. If anything the first club to actually sell us a player will probably get more scorn than us.