Transfer rumours

Yorkie

I can understand it purely from a self preservation point if view (not if they've clubbed together mind), even if our new owners were UNICEF. Why strengthen a club who is another relegation candidate/is likely to be a title challenger in a few years ?

2 minutes ago, madras said:

I can understand it purely from a self preservation point if view (not if they've clubbed together mind), even if our new owners were UNICEF. Why strengthen a club who is another relegation candidate/is likely to be a title challenger in a few years ?

Not happening. Cash trumps self preservation in football now. Owners are judged by the balance sheet by everyone except the fans....which is exactly why everyone barring us thought Mike Ashley was doing a great job.

Just now, gjohnson said:

Not happening. Cash trumps self preservation in football now. Owners are judged by the balance sheet by everyone except the fans....which is exactly why everyone barring us thought Mike Ashley was doing a great job.

I meant financial self preservation. Self preservation for the lower teams is staying up and the finances that brings and for the highers the riches of the Champs league and the greater exposure for sponsorship.

The last thing the lowers want is us leaving that pool upwards and the last thing the highers want is another fish in their pond.

I think clubs will be reluctant to deal with us but if us and a PL rival (say Burnley/Southampton) bid for a player and the player prefers us, it will be difficult for the selling club to decline the player's request.

A lot of it will come down to how much players want to join us.

2 hours ago, gjohnson said:

Sod them. There's plenty of other players that would improve us  and gladly join without even looking at PL cast-offs.

Not that they'll refuse to deal with us anyway....as someone said earlier transfers are completely agent driven, and an extra 0 to their pay will have them tripping over themselves to get players to us. 

Yes there'll be a lot of noise and bull, but ££££ speaks....when Chelsea got took over they were linked to more than 1000 players and ended up with 5

If we do start negotiating for EPL players we need to be careful clubs dont string us along and then pull the plug near the end of the transfer window.  We need to agree fees before the window opens and then sign them on the dotted line on 1st Jan and if they dont then drop them like a red hot brick and get the second choice to sign!

I think this is why the club hierarchy have been quiet about the bullshit sponsorship rules.  Charnley made the opening statement but the club have then let it lie.  Had they continually complained about the issue they would have really set themselves apart.  Instead they've not pressed and have likely recouped some goodwill and at least not lost any.  Will some clubs be reluctant?  Absolutely, but if the club conducts itself as one of twenty everything will work out.

Man City seems one of the clubs amicable to us. Any surplus players they can sell to us?

Loan with a commitment to buy if we stay up end of season.

Edited by LRD

40 minutes ago, LRD said:

Man City seems one of the clubs amicable to us. Any surplus players they can sell to us?

Loan with a commitment to buy if we stay up end of season.

Ake. Think there is a strong chance he could be here on Jan 1st.

Ake New Year.

Edited by Happinesstan

19 hours ago, Gaztoon said:

Does anybody truly believe clubs will so no to our money?

You think Burnley will turn down 20-25m for Tarkowski not a chance.

But if we truly only have £50m for each transfer window and we pay £25m for Tarkowski who are we spending the other £25m on that will ensure our survival.  Also loans in Jan are notoriously difficult as managers dont want to weaken their squads.  I dont want Lingard as he turned us down once plus i think he has his heart set on WHam.

I’d take Lingard in a heart beat, he’s a goalscoring midfielder, an international and has bags of big game experience. I think, despite the bling side of his personality, he’d be a good character around the dressing room too. As for Henderson and the Dutch lad, I’ve not seen much of them play to pass any real comment.

20 minutes ago, Ankles Bennett said:

But if we truly only have £50m for each transfer window and we pay £25m for Tarkowski who are we spending the other £25m on that will ensure our survival.  Also loans in Jan are notoriously difficult as managers dont want to weaken their squads.  I dont want Lingard as he turned us down once plus i think he has his heart set on WHam.

£10m down payment, the rest in instalments, another £40m to play with. Easy.

22 minutes ago, bodson said:

Yesterday the 20-year old georgian wizz kid, Khvicha Kvaratskhelia, destroyed Sweden in the qualifiers. Youtube him. It´s time for us to get a new Ketsbaia

Would love that. I spent a lot of time in Georgia recently and during a cross-country drive into the Greater Caucasus I got onto football with the driver which inevitably led to discussing Temuri. I was expressing how much fondness towards him remains in Newcastle and made a passing comment of how I'd love another Georgian in the side. He then raved about Kvaratskhelia being the best prospect in Georgia for some time, whilst lamenting his move to Russia. Bring him home.

54 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Ake. Think there is a strong chance he could be here on Jan 1st.

Ake New Year.

Do you rate Ake?

I think he is average at best and would be disappointed to see him play for us, under any circumstances and not just now that we can seemingly afford players who command high fees and salaries.

Whenever I watch him he seems to be at half pace and never actually does anything positive, >90% of passes are sideways or backwards, he doesn't put in a hard tackle and rarely seems to have any impact (positive or negative) in a game.  He - to me - is just a player making up a number on the field, does nothing wrong but, equally does nothing right.

I would be open to having my mind changed about him but, that is how I would view him as a player today!

6 minutes ago, pinkeye said:

Do you rate Ake?

I think he is average at best and would be disappointed to see him play for us, under any circumstances and not just now that we can seemingly afford players who command high fees and salaries.

Whenever I watch him he seems to be at half pace and never actually does anything positive, >90% of passes are sideways or backwards, he doesn't put in a hard tackle and rarely seems to have any impact (positive or negative) in a game.  He - to me - is just a player making up a number on the field, does nothing wrong but, equally does nothing right.

I would be open to having my mind changed about him but, that is how I would view him as a player today!

I rate him, although he’s probably more a prime Lascelles under Rafa type of CB. He’s quick, good in the air, recovers well from bad positioning/mistakes and above all else, is good on the ball. Plus he’s Gullit’s son…

1 minute ago, Dokko said:

Citeh want only £45m for Sterling. Wtf? Something happened to him?

That can’t be true surely? He’s out of form for them, but he’s a top top player and will get 20 + a season easily still in the right team. He’d get even more if he could finish…

2 minutes ago, HTT II said:

That can’t be true surely? He’s out of form for them, but he’s a top top player and will get 20 + a season easily still in the right team. He’d get even more if he could finish…

Apparently so. Him and Stones please. Best £70-90m we could ever spend. Gives them the money for Haaland.

I don't know about you guys but I'm not quite convinced by overspending to only get Lingard, Ake and Tarkowski. I feel that shopping abroad would open up a lot more exciting opportunities. I'm fine with striking a couple good loan deals from EPL clubs in January, but when it comes to investing in the squad for the long run, NUFC should be looking to sign talent from La liga, Serie A and Ligue 1 instead. Hopefully, with someone like Michael Emenalo as DoF.