Transfer rumours

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Khalidao said:

I don't know about you guys but I'm not quite convinced by overspending to only get Lingard, Ake and Tarkowski. I feel that shopping abroad would open up a lot more exciting opportunities. I'm fine with striking a couple good loan deals from EPL clubs in January, but when it comes to investing in the squad for the long run, NUFC should be looking to sign talent from La liga, Serie A and Ligue 1 instead. Hopefully, with someone like Michael Emenalo as DoF.

The issue is that the league is an uncompromising place to play, and even more so to come in and adapt to it. Those players are mentioned because they’re already used to it and could do an immediate job. Players from

abroad, no matter the reputation, can be overawed, at least for a season or two, and we need results immediately.

16 minutes ago, HTT II said:

That can’t be true surely? He’s out of form for them, but he’s a top top player and will get 20 + a season easily still in the right team. He’d get even more if he could finish…

Out of contract end of next year and already said he wouldn't mind going abroad when that contract is up so I think they'll just be happy to get anything back on him at this point.

Said it before but I think we should make him a priority in January, however slim a chance we may have, and then again in the summer if/when we survive.

Edited by wormy

8 minutes ago, Manxst said:

The issue is that the league is an uncompromising place to play, and even more so to come in and adapt to it. Those players are mentioned because they’re already used to it and could do an immediate job. Players from abroad, no matter the reputation, can be overawed, at least for a season or two, and we need results immediately.

Could be the case, even if there were some exceptions to the rule over the past few years. I just hope the transfer market strategy will be a mixture of signing proven EPL players and big talents from abroad.

It WAS 50m in each transfer window. That will have been revised.

Without spending silly money, they will do what they have to do to ensure survival.

Put it this way, we won't be letting players go for the extra couple of quid like we were doing under Ashley.

We also have potential to sell a couple of our fringe players. For example, we could probably get 3/4m for Shelvey from the championship, 1/2 for Clark, 3/4 for Gayle etc.

3 minutes ago, STM said:

It WAS 50m in each transfer window. That will have been revised.

Without spending silly money, they will do what they have to do to ensure survival.

Put it this way, we won't be letting players go for the extra couple of quid like we were doing under Ashley.

We also have potential to sell a couple of our fringe players. For example, we could probably get 3/4m for Shelvey from the championship, 1/2 for Clark, 3/4 for Gayle etc.

Been thinking about this. We need to let our unwanted players go for low offers to start building bridges with other clubs. Get the clubs who generally produce decent talent on board. I'd give Gayle to a Bournemouth, Birmingham or Forest. Shelvey to Fulham, West Brom etc...if they wanted them of course. 

1 hour ago, Infinitely Content said:

Would love that. I spent a lot of time in Georgia recently and during a cross-country drive into the Greater Caucasus I got onto football with the driver which inevitably led to discussing Temuri. I was expressing how much fondness towards him remains in Newcastle and made a passing comment of how I'd love another Georgian in the side. He then raved about Kvaratskhelia being the best prospect in Georgia for some time, whilst lamenting his move to Russia. Bring him home.

just YouTube’s him. He reminds me a lot of Kaka. The player not the lad from here :lol:

1 hour ago, pinkeye said:

Do you rate Ake?

I think he is average at best and would be disappointed to see him play for us, under any circumstances and not just now that we can seemingly afford players who command high fees and salaries.

Whenever I watch him he seems to be at half pace and never actually does anything positive, >90% of passes are sideways or backwards, he doesn't put in a hard tackle and rarely seems to have any impact (positive or negative) in a game.  He - to me - is just a player making up a number on the field, does nothing wrong but, equally does nothing right.

I would be open to having my mind changed about him but, that is how I would view him as a player today!

Surely if he is doing nothing right he is doing everything wrong lol.

PL experience being key is a myth PL based people use to make themselves more important. It's why Signing Seb Larrsson and Craig Gardner was viewed as better than signing Yohan Cabaye in 2012. Until they got on the pitch and it turned out our player was far beyond what the mackems had signed. 

1 hour ago, pinkeye said:

Do you rate Ake?

I think he is average at best and would be disappointed to see him play for us, under any circumstances and not just now that we can seemingly afford players who command high fees and salaries.

Whenever I watch him he seems to be at half pace and never actually does anything positive, >90% of passes are sideways or backwards, he doesn't put in a hard tackle and rarely seems to have any impact (positive or negative) in a game.  He - to me - is just a player making up a number on the field, does nothing wrong but, equally does nothing right.

I would be open to having my mind changed about him but, that is how I would view him as a player today!

Haven't seen enough to judge, but the connection to Howe and the need for a left footed CB, coupled with the fact he isn't getting much game time at City makes it an option to explore.

I'm talking about on loan, btw.

Edited by Happinesstan

2 hours ago, Khalidao said:

I don't know about you guys but I'm not quite convinced by overspending to only get Lingard, Ake and Tarkowski. I feel that shopping abroad would open up a lot more exciting opportunities. I'm fine with striking a couple good loan deals from EPL clubs in January, but when it comes to investing in the squad for the long run, NUFC should be looking to sign talent from La liga, Serie A and Ligue 1 instead. Hopefully, with someone like Michael Emenalo as DoF.

Pretty sure we could get those three without overspending on them, as two of them are out of contract in the summer. They would all be really solid buys/loans for where we are. 

1 hour ago, Ankles Bennett said:

Surely if he is doing nothing right he is doing everything wrong lol.

Haha, you're right!  I meant his contribution seems to have little impact in the game, he does not seem to make anything better but, also makes nothing worse...  :cheesy:

59 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Haven't seen enough to judge, but the connection to Howe and the need for a left footed CB, coupled with the fact he isn't getting much game time at City makes it an option to explore.

I'm talking about on loan, btw.

Is fair enough, he was decent at Bournemouth, decent enough to attract the attention of Man City...  I just personally don't rate him but, I am not an expert! (just a regular punter).

2 hours ago, HTT II said:

I rate him, although he’s probably more a prime Lascelles under Rafa type of CB. He’s quick, good in the air, recovers well from bad positioning/mistakes and above all else, is good on the ball. Plus he’s Gullit’s son…

I just don't see it in him, apart from the wonderful hair.  I do concede to all the comments above that he is probably an upgrade on what we currently have.

Sterling isn't realistic because I suspect PSG, Juventus, Barca or Real, perhaps even an Arsenal or Chelsea would lure him.

Mahrez being 30 isn't out of the question though. It would cost big money. A big loan fee of 10m plus 30m in the summer might do it.

That said, i just don't think we are going to making big, rash signings in January or spending on names.

Most of our signings will come from abroad, will have decent reputations and will not have the PL tax, which is coming our way.

If we can get a Lingard or Tarkowski, then we will do that but if we get messed around, don't expect us to hang around.

We need signings in the first week of the window, not the last, and that means getting quotes from clubs in December.

5 minutes ago, STM said:

Sterling isn't realistic because I suspect PSG, Juventus, Barca or Real, perhaps even an Arsenal or Chelsea would lure him.

Mahrez being 30 isn't out of the question though. It would cost big money. A big loan fee of 10m plus 30m in the summer might do it.

That said, i just don't think we are going to making big, rash signings in January or spending on names.

Most of our signings will come from abroad, will have decent reputations and will not have the PL tax, which is coming our way.

If we can get a Lingard or Tarkowski, then we will do that but if we get messed around, don't expect us to hang around.

We need signings in the first week of the window, not the last, and that means getting quotes from clubs in December.

Sterling isn't realistic purely because of position in the table. We can now easily match any offer PSG/Real/Juventus could give him. There won't be any offer from Barcelona as they can barely afford to keep the lights on at the minute

I think the next transfer window is clearly going to be a firefighting one, taking a small step up with perhaps 1 marquee signing. But given our precarious position and the distinct possibility we go down I don't think we'll go spend thrifty just yet.