Transfer rumours

Yorkie

1 hour ago, Rich said:

All I keep thinking is that French January in 2013(?) on steroids. We spent about 20p then and it proved to be more than enough. (We were 15th on 20 points, three points above Southampton in 18th with the same GD at that point. Ended up 16th on 41, five clear of Wigan in the end.)

I hope youre not an accountant

Just my wish. We have been linked with him but it's just paper talk like with many other players. 

(expensive quality player about to move, insert Newcastle here now too) 

Edited by Ikon

Linked with both Jonathan David and Aurélien Tchouaméni today.

Two incredibly talented 21 year olds, who have been linked with all the top clubs. However, they will be guaranteed to play far more if they came to us first. Might be the strategy we go for to try and convince them to join us instead.

30 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Two incredibly talented 21 year olds, who have been linked with all the top clubs. However, they will be guaranteed to play far more if they came to us first. Might be the strategy we go for to try and convince them to join us instead.

The Monaco wonderkid? Defo one I would look at - him and Brozovic in CM? Ooof

38 minutes ago, KaKa said:

We're a final destination now:indi:

Really don't think we need anything drastic like six players if survival is the only goal, and I think pressing the panic button could be quite risky. A couple of additions in key areas plus getting our current ones fit, confident and playing in the correct positions would sort us out. 

Agreed. This season is only about survival and building the foundation to grow on. We desperately need a quality CM with some leadership ability. If we can get someone like that in January that would go a long way in reducing the risk of relegation. We got quite different types of CMs in Willock, Hayden, Longstaff, Shelvey and Hendricks so I'm sure Howe would be able to use them to the best of their abilities in any given match given that they are not bearing the main responsibility of controlling the game.

Once we have a CM in place I would say we should look at possibilities of improving our full backs and a striker as cover for Wilson. 

If we can get 3 new players in that can go in and immediately improve the team (exception being the cover for striker) I would be very confident about staying up.

I don't think we need CB's as long as Howe plays our best ones instead of Clarke and Krafth.

ASM, Almiron, Fraser, Murphy, Ritchie is good enough in both quality and depth for wingers.

Getting Dubs back between the goal posts with Darlow & Woodman as cover is good enough in both quality and depth for goal keepers.

It all depends on what Howe gets out of our players/how they respond to him and what is actually available/interested in coming.

A month a go 6 new players wouldn't have been silly 

A LB, CB, DCM, CM, winger and Striker. Arguably another RB. 

Depending on what Howe gets from players we could probably do fine with a quality CB, CB/fullback, CM and a striker. I actually have more faith in our current CB's than our midfield. If we get a big upgrade infront/around them they will look completely different imo.

@Conjo Can't really disagree with your reasoning.  But if better players are available -- players who will be out of a contract at the end of the season, internationals not getting minutes at their clubs that are willing to go on loan, top players at clubs that desperate for cash, etc. --there's no reason not to spend in January.

Edited by gazza ladra

25 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

@Conjo Can't really disagree with your reasoning.  But if better players are available -- players who will be out of a contract at the end of the season, internationals not getting minutes at their clubs that are willing to go on loan, top players at clubs that desperate for cash, etc. --there's no reason not to spend in January.

Of course if the right deal is there for the right player who can contribute not only for the next 6 months, but for the next 6 years then yeah it makes sense. I'd be careful getting players just because they are available and better than we have now if that means large, long contracts for players that will difficult to move on and be out of favor in a season or two.

Agreed. I don’t think we are going to be a club that sees a player like Coutinho being available and decides to spend a huge transfer fee and wages to bring him here just because of the big name status. Granted, we will be looking for experience in a few positions, but I really see us going after quality younger players that are worth the long term investment 

We need to factor in that some signings don't work out (even in the well run clubs), you can strive for perfection in the transfer market all you like, it will never come.

With that in mind, we might need to over compensate in January, by signing one or two more than necessary.

Let's say we sign Tarkowski and Lingard in January (I think we will have problems with English clubs FWIW) and on day 2 Lingard pulls his hamstring and is missing for 6 weeks?

Ordinarily, you take injuries as just part of the risk but in our scenario, we really can't afford to take that risk. We might have to sign a Lingard (e.g) and also get a decent loan deal for another attacking player.

I think we need to look at some low risk + high risk markets. Let's say, again as an example, there is an opportunity to sign someone like Coutinho on loan with a big fee option for him in the summer. IMO, we have to take the risk that he might be an overpaid flop because we simply can't afford to spend the last 4 months with Jonjo pulling the strings in midfield.

In short, we need to be signing players all over the pitch because of the thinness of our squad. ONE good signing could transform our season, in the same way Dubravka made an impact that January or Sissoko did or someone like Cabaye who added real quality.

Bit of a ramble but hope that made sense. 

2 minutes ago, STM said:

We need to factor in that some signings don't work out (even in the well run clubs), you can strive for perfection in the transfer market all you like, it will never come.

With that in mind, we might need to over compensate in January, by signing one or two more than necessary.

Let's say we sign Tarkowski and Lingard in January (I think we will have problems with English clubs FWIW) and on day 2 Lingard pulls his hamstring and is missing for 6 weeks?

Ordinarily, you take injuries as just part of the risk but in our scenario, we really can't afford to take that risk. We might have to sign a Lingard (e.g) and also get a decent loan deal for another attacking player.

I think we need to look at some low risk + high risk markets. Let's say, again as an example, there is an opportunity to sign someone like Coutinho on loan with a big fee option for him in the summer. IMO, we have to take the risk that he might be an overpaid flop because we simply can't afford to spend the last 4 months with Jonjo pulling the strings in midfield.

In short, we need to be signing players all over the pitch because of the thinness of our squad. ONE good signing could transform our season, in the same way Dubravka made an impact that January or Sissoko did or someone like Cabaye who added real quality.

Bit of a ramble but hope that made sense. 

Agreed, but it does look arrogant with the likes of Burnley, who with Tarko, are not, as the gossip says, going to sell him in Jan, but to let him walk for 'Free' in the summer.

OK, I can see one side of their story - the PIF side, but would you bit your nose off to spite the rest of your face - NO, I wouldn't, I'd try to get as much for him as possible.

Whereas as much as Man Utd 'say things', they are at heart - money grabbers - so yes they'll run the PIF side of things - but come Jan - Lingard WILL BE leaving.

On that front - I read that as WHU are doing so well - if he moved there - he could end up in the same situation - so, there's a better than good chance that he 'Could' come to us (Fingers crossed - as I do like him as a player - doesn't seem to be as big headed as others).

I know this wasn't the wider point but I don't see the point in signing Lingard when there's Willock, Almiron, ASM and Joelinton all who you can define as attacking midfielders. We need to prioritise getting them into a coherent unit and complementing them with a more defensive centre-mid and a proper left-back, imo. Ritchie isn't one and Lewis can't be trusted at this point. Plus a striker to challenge Wilson. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

I know this wasn't the wider point but I don't see the point in signing Lingard when there's Willock, Almiron, ASM and Joelinton all who you can define as attacking midfielders. We need to prioritise getting them into a coherent unit and complementing them with a more defensive centre-mid and a proper left-back, imo. Ritchie isn't one and Lewis can't be trusted at this point. Plus a striker to challenge Wilson. 

Lingard is arguably better than 3 of them though. We've got to look to improve our squad across the board, there's no room for sentiment when you're staring down the barrel.