Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Lingard isn't right for us. He'd be Nicky Butt MkII.

He just appears to have the attitude of a player who thinks they're much better than they actually are.

Yes he's a million miles better than anyone we have, just don't see him coming here and putting the effort in to actually show it.

Just now, gjohnson said:

Lingard isn't right for us. He'd be Nicky Butt MkII.

He just appears to have the attitude of a player who thinks they're much better than they actually are.

Yes he's a million miles better than anyone we have, just don't see him coming here and putting the effort in to actually show it.

I'd agreed with you all day long but he showed for Wham he's much better than that.

10 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I never thought Butt didn't put the effort in for us - just thought he was on the decline when he joined, and by the end he was a snail.

He did try he was just way past his best when we got him.

He'd probably be much more highly thought of if it wasn't for that one absolutely disgraceful performance in the cup vs ManU, where he spent the entire game passing to them, and then proceeded to have a good laugh with the opposition at the end.

We've easily had 10 worse centre midfielders than him since 

42 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Lingard is arguably better than 3 of them though. We've got to look to improve our squad across the board, there's no room for sentiment when you're staring down the barrel.

Sure, we need to be ruthless in places, but the more sensible investment would be to upgrade weaker areas, resulting in a direct improvement to that specific position but also the unlocking of potential of other players in other positions. 'CAM', I'd argue, is one area where we're actually pretty well-stocked, particularly if we can get Miggy firing again and if we can get a tune out of Joelintahahaha... ahem. Anyway yeah, that's why DM and FB should be the priority imo. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Sure, we need to be ruthless in places, but the more sensible investment would be to upgrade weaker areas, resulting in a direct improvement to that specific position but also the unlocking of potential of other players in other positions. 'CAM', I'd argue, is one area where we're actually pretty well-stocked, particularly if we can get Miggy firing again and if we can get a tune out of Joelintahahaha... ahem. Anyway yeah, that's why DM and FB should be the priority imo. 

I agree, I'm just not sure it'll be looked at in that way. If there's someone available who will strengthen us I think we'll go for it, regardless of priority.

Got to think Howe will improve several of our squad though.

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Where's that been reported that West Ham are Lingard's boyhood club?

I'm amazed he's anything but a Man Utd supporter

Was definitely in the press at some point that that was the only reason he joined them. Answered my own point really there....in the press..must be balls 

I think the idea of many clubs not selling to us is bollocks. The odd one or two might, but most of them won't have the wherewithal to miss out on fees for players with contracts running down. They may try to mess us around, but the consortium have enough money to not need to play negotiating games that drag things out.

Unless there is a massive new manager bounce, our overwhelming priority is going to be getting good players for Howe's system in quickly. Not overpaying is unlikely to be a priority. I think generous offers should go in on Dec 31 on a take-it-or-leave-it basis. If they haven't decided within days, then we take our money to someone else because there are plenty of other clubs out there happy to take it. Obviously, we'll need a good DoF to do this properly. 

1 minute ago, Stottie said:

I think the idea of many clubs not selling to us is bollocks. The odd one or two might, but most of them won't have the wherewithal to miss out on fees for players with contracts running down. They may try to mess us around, but the consortium have enough money to not need to play negotiating games that drag things out.

Unless there is a massive new manager bounce, our overwhelming priority is going to be getting good players for Howe's system in quickly. Not overpaying is unlikely to be a priority. I think generous offers should go in on Dec 31 on a take-it-or-leave-it basis. If they haven't decided within days, then we take our money to someone else because there are plenty of other clubs out there happy to take it. Obviously, we'll need a good DoF to do this properly. 

It is bollocks...once they see an offer on paper they'll happily bend over like an alley cat on heat to take the money.

Only team I can remotely see not dealing with us is Tottenham, as they have the most to lose from us taking their European spots

11 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

He did try he was just way past his best when we got him.

He'd probably be much more highly thought of if it wasn't for that one absolutely disgraceful performance in the cup vs ManU, where he spent the entire game passing to them, and then proceeded to have a good laugh with the opposition at the end.

We've easily had 10 worse centre midfielders than him since 

Was that the game at the Millenium Stadium?

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Was that the game at the Millenium Stadium?

Probably...it was the one where Butt went down the tunnel arm in arm with Ferguson with a beaming smile on his face after we'd just been dry humped 4-1 where more of Butts passes ended up with Man U player than ours if i remember right

2 hours ago, gjohnson said:

Probably...it was the one where Butt went down the tunnel arm in arm with Ferguson with a beaming smile on his face after we'd just been dry humped 4-1 where more of Butts passes ended up with Man U player than ours if i remember right

Aye, I was there for that, such a waste of a trip, we were absolutely shocking. Probably the first time I really started to despise TalkSport as well, in the car on the way back we had it on the radio and they were goading our fans saying that Man Utd fans outsung us all game, when in fact it was quite the opposite on the day.