Transfer rumours

Yorkie

10 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I know a few senior sources at PIF and they are genuinely very worried about relegation (as they should be) as it would be massively embarrassing for them. Especially after all the efforts they made to buy the club.

You also said that the takeover would never happen due to financial concerns over Covid.

Weird how you know "senior sources at PIF" but have never posted anything concrete (or correct) on here. 

From football insider ...

"The initial plan had been to spend big on permanent signings but there has now been a U-turn in policy from the leaders based in Saudi Arabia and England.

The club’s hierarchy believe it would be better for the club to use the loan market amid fears of spending big money on stars and then getting relegated.

United chiefs are also aware that it will be hard to lure elite-level players to Tyneside in January at a time when they are facing a relegation battle.

That club are laying the groundwork for loan deals or loan-to-buy signings that could be completed at the end of the season if they stay up."

In all honesty, I actually think that makes sense. Buying permanently now will mean that we would have to perhaps go with lesser players than we can get next summer. So unless we can bring in some of those better players on an initial loan deal that only becomes permanent if we stay up, then its not the smartest move really. Even if our top options did come in permanently, what on earth do we then do if we go down? Immediately sell them for a loss? 

Don't think I have too much of a problem with the approach to be honest. Due to the financial crisis at so many clubs, there will be decent deals that can be done that will work for us still.

Any players we do bring in permanently would likely be players we really like who are not adverse to doing a stint in the champo next season if it comes down to it.

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

From football insider ...

"The initial plan had been to spend big on permanent signings but there has now been a U-turn in policy from the leaders based in Saudi Arabia and England.

The club’s hierarchy believe it would be better for the club to use the loan market amid fears of spending big money on stars and then getting relegated.

United chiefs are also aware that it will be hard to lure elite-level players to Tyneside in January at a time when they are facing a relegation battle.

That club are laying the groundwork for loan deals or loan-to-buy signings that could be completed at the end of the season if they stay up."

In all honesty, I actually think that makes sense. Buying permanently now will mean that we would have to perhaps go with lesser players than we can get next summer. So unless we can bring in some of those better players on an initial loan deal that only becomes permanent if we stay up, then its not the smartest move really. Even if our top options did come in permanently, what on earth do we then do if we go down? Immediately sell them for a loss? 

Don't think I have too much of a problem with the approach to be honest. Due to the financial crisis at so many clubs, there will be decent deals that can be done that will work for us still.

Any players we do bring in permanently would likely be players we really like who are not adverse to doing a stint in the champo next season if it comes down to it.

There's nothing wrong with that approach when you put it like that. Obviously they managed to spin it as negatively as possible in the earlier piece by saying they don't want to spend in case they get relegated. 

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

There's nothing wrong with that approach when you put it like that. Obviously they managed to spin it as negatively as possible in the earlier piece by saying they don't want to spend in case they get relegated. 

Yeah, they tried to be slick. Its a very fair approach really.

And if we do stay up it will then have us in a very strong position to then go for a much higher calibre of player in the summer.

27 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

You also said that the takeover would never happen due to financial concerns over Covid.

Weird how you know "senior sources at PIF" but have never posted anything concrete (or correct) on here. 

Christ, man :lol:… Just passing on what was told to me. That was a discussion that was happening, and they did “pull out” for that reason…Not an ITK by any means but I work alongside the biggest PIF executives on different projects and just casually pass on the snippets I hear.

We're going to spend, don't care what the rumours are from the press. Howe will have had his targets earmarked during his interview, sure that can change given what happens between now and the winter window, but we will spend.  

Anything leaked to the Journo's will be to avoid getting rinsed by agents and clubs. 

Surely they must have known we had and still have a massive chance to get relegated, doesn't make any sense not to spend on players or else we will definitely get relegated. Not really an embarrassment considering where we were when they took over and the lack of investment over many years. Would only be embarrassing if we get relegated and don't come back up quickly and I don't think they will care who thinks what tbh. I think we will spend no matter what happens.

1 hour ago, Manxst said:

If we get relegated, then it’d be embarrassing for them sure…so why not spend money to try and not get relegated? Doesn’t make sense. 

I never said they wouldn’t spend (not that I’d know)! Just threw out an article from football insider. The other stuff I mentioned was unrelated.

Edited by McCormick

As sensible as the loan approach might be, I just don't see the top 6 sides loaning us anyone (from the prem).  They were dead against the takeover and are hardly going to lend us players to surive relegation.  Buy at an inflated price or piss off will be the most likely scenario.  

I am sure they will invest, most likely in younger exeptional talen that will be less concerned about a year in the championship (should that happen).  If we can cut the gap and get back into the bottom half of the table, or look like we could, I think they will spend big.

if we are still 6 ploints off going into the transfer window, I am not so sure.  We are hardly going to attract top players then anyway. 

sounds like pif are getting cold feet now with the new announcement today.

They could in theory just run us as a slow build now.

Got a prem club now or if we go down a championship club at worst.

All this media crap of spending billions was never going to come off.

We need to sort out the infrastructure of the club as its been so neglected under Ashley.

1 hour ago, Dan Gleebals said:

As sensible as the loan approach might be, I just don't see the top 6 sides loaning us anyone (from the prem).  They were dead against the takeover and are hardly going to lend us players to surive relegation.  Buy at an inflated price or piss off will be the most likely scenario.  

I am sure they will invest, most likely in younger exeptional talen that will be less concerned about a year in the championship (should that happen).  If we can cut the gap and get back into the bottom half of the table, or look like we could, I think they will spend big.

if we are still 6 ploints off going into the transfer window, I am not so sure.  We are hardly going to attract top players then anyway. 

Man City and Chelsea didn't care about the takeover.

It was pretty much Spurs, Man Utd and Arsenal that were throwing the biggest strop because they are all in a moment of such uncertainty.

Could easily see us loaning Ake with a loan to a permanent move in the summer for example as he wants to play more ahead of the world cup next year.

Could also see a similar type deal with Chelsea for the likes of a Ross Barkley too if Howe wanted someone like that.

Ultimately though if we are interested in any of these clubs players that they aren't really using, really don't think they'll turn down money as they need t for their own rebuilds.

10 hours ago, Ronson333 said:

Being linked to Jonathan David, that would be a cracking signing.

Also linked with his Canadian strike partner Cyle Larin who I've always really liked the look of.

Someone is going to get an absolute bargain with Larin as his contract is winding down and he will apparently be available from Besiktas in January.

Liked him since his days in Orlando City. Think he's class and has all the attributes you'd want in a modern day forward.

1 hour ago, prefabtoon said:

sounds like pif are getting cold feet now with the new announcement today.

They could in theory just run us as a slow build now.

Got a prem club now or if we go down a championship club at worst.

All this media crap of spending billions was never going to come off.

We need to sort out the infrastructure of the club as its been so neglected under Ashley.

What new announcement?

5 hours ago, McCormick said:

I know a few senior sources at PIF and they are genuinely very worried about relegation (as they should be) as it would be massively embarrassing for them. Especially after all the efforts they made to buy the club.

This makes me think they’ll do whatever it takes to get out of it, which is reassuring.

Football insider is about as reliable as Burnsie, by the way.

1 hour ago, relámpago blanco said:

No but it makes sense to make use of the loan market as much as possible.  I could see us signing Lingard with a relegation release clause of whatever we pay for him though.

Ok thanks. Thought there was some actual club announcement I missed.

2 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

This makes me think they’ll do whatever it takes to get out of it, which is reassuring.

Football insider is about as reliable as Burnsie, by the way.

Relegation is possible but I am not remotely worried about it. We have a far better side than our position. We have some gaps but they can be addressed in January. 

On 22/11/2021 at 18:04, Yorkie said:

Just flicking through 'contracts expiring 2022' on transfermarkt. Not really much to choose from when it comes to PL-based attackers who wouldn't be taking quite a big step down (and therefore you wonder about their motivation). See Ben Brereton Diaz is on there, though. Wonder if he's worth a punt? Having a really good season at Blackburn, riding a wave on the Chile stuff, and it's an obvious step up

Another double tonight. 11 in 11, 16 in 20, second only to Mitrovic in the scoring charts. Bound to be getting some attention you'd think.