Transfer rumours

Yorkie

What's JWP like as an actual midfielder if you take away the set pieces? Soz for my ignorance, but I've never really watched Southampton much,  but obviously I've seen him score some fabulous free kicks. 

10 minutes ago, TRon said:

What's JWP like as an actual midfielder if you take away the set pieces? Soz for my ignorance, but I've never really watched Southampton much,  but obviously I've seen him score some fabulous free kicks. 

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I had the impression that he was fairly slow, not very combative, relatively small but tidy passing ability, so basically a shorter Shelvey with hair and better free kicks.

1 hour ago, Conjo said:

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I had the impression that he was fairly slow, not very combative, relatively small but tidy passing ability, so basically a shorter Shelvey with hair and better free kicks.

Yeah that was pretty much my impression of him as well. Tidy player, not a midfield boss by any stretch of the imagination, but can hit some of the best free kicks in the world. 

So its rumoured that we have not experienced any reluctance from other EPL clubs to sell to us in January.  My very real concern is that clubs will string us along and then pull out of the deals at the last minute  meaning we will have to move to our second choice only for the same thing to happen again and so on until we miss out on any of our targets with EPL experience.  

7 minutes ago, Ankles Bennett said:

So its rumoured that we have not experienced any reluctance from other EPL clubs to sell to us in January.  My very real concern is that clubs will string us along and then pull out of the deals at the last minute  meaning we will have to move to our second choice only for the same thing to happen again and so on until we miss out on any of our targets with EPL experience.  

Won’t happen. Agents and players will have a fit. It’s why the entire idea is nonsense.

19 minutes ago, Ankles Bennett said:

12 minutes ago, Ankles Bennett said:

Im still concerned that if we get relegated the other EPL clubs will collectively collude to amend the O&D test in our absece to ensure PIF are excluded from being a director once we are promoted back to the EPL.  Its therefore essential that we ensure the EPL are not given the opportunity to effectively cut the clubs supply of financial support from PIF.

I get the impression you're a glass-half-empty kinda fella?

12 hours ago, Kaizero said:

Apropos of nothing, but how is John Carew viewed in hindsight by Villa fans?

Loved.

If he had added consistency, he'd have been one of the best strikers in the world (and therefore prob wouldn't have played for us). He's always going on about how we remain his team since he left, so he's remained massively popular.

Also scored in that 5-1 demolition of Birmingham and celebrated by picking up that ball boy in front of the Holte End. Good times.

11 hours ago, Joey said:

I lived in Bensham for years, nowt scary about the place man. 

However, there was one time when I was about 15 and I noticed 2 kids hiding near my front door so I opened it and asked what they were doing.

Then a few mins later around 30 Jewish folk ran around the corner. Kids told me "you can do them in because you're big". Thanks but no [emoji38]. Turns out they had been throwing fireworks at their houses and these Jews chased them away. They were proper apologetic. Police came (2 of them and a dog for all these people) and sorted it all out. 

That's about the worst that ever happened. 

:ructions:

That part of Gateshead has the largest orthodox Jewish population in the UK outside London, it's so weird, so totally random. 

It was 1988-89 I lived there, and believe me, it was absolutely rough as nails. Lived in an end terrace on Osbourne Terrace and had kids throwing bricks trying to piut through the side window on the second floor. Mate had a decent Fiesta XR2 - first day we were there, neighbours knocked on door and advised us to not leave it there as there was no chance it would still be there in the morning. Walking down that main road towards the station one time, can't remember what it's called, there were a load of high rise flats which aren't there any more (we went back there 10 years ago), some bloke comes running out of the grounds carrying a big telly, vaults the wall without dropping the telly, then turns around and just throws it at a copper chasing him. At 9am.

We used to drink at the Five Wand Mill, proper locals boozer. We were probably the only students in a 3 mile radius. We'd enter the pub quiz and win it every week to the point that the one night, the gaffer advised us to leave as the locals were getting fucked off with us (they'd started shouting stuff about 'the little fucking professors')

It was rough as fuck but I wouldn't change it for anything, happy times.

4 minutes ago, brummie said:

That part of Gateshead has the largest orthodox Jewish population in the UK outside London, it's so weird, so totally random. 

It was 1988-89 I lived there, and believe me, it was absolutely rough as nails. Lived in an end terrace on Osbourne Terrace and had kids throwing bricks trying to piut through the side window on the second floor. Mate had a decent Fiesta XR2 - first day we were there, neighbours knocked on door and advised us to not leave it there as there was no chance it would still be there in the morning. Walking down that main road towards the station one time, can't remember what it's called, there were a load of high rise flats which aren't there any more (we went back there 10 years ago), some bloke comes running out of the grounds carrying a big telly, vaults the wall without dropping the telly, then turns around and just throws it at a copper chasing him. At 9am.

We used to drink at the Five Wand Mill, proper locals boozer. We were probably the only students in a 3 mile radius. We'd enter the pub quiz and win it every week to the point that the one night, the gaffer advised us to leave as the locals were getting fucked off with us (they'd started shouting stuff about 'the little fucking professors')

It was rough as fuck but I wouldn't change it for anything, happy times.

Love stories like this :thup:

I would spunk 25m to 45m on a shithouse DM.

Then id bring in a skilful attacking right back and a shithouse CD for around the same. Sell Clark and Hendrick if poss.

Then id look at a backup striker on loan.

In the summer, bring in another CD and a skilful attacking left back.

Sign a striker permanantly then look at skilful right sided attacker and backup keeper. Sell Ritchie, C-Slice, Karlo and Gayle.

We dont have to go beserk - maybe 8 players across the next 2 windows.

If it's alright with the big 6 thats is....

(This could all change by next week)

Newcastle boss Eddie Howe says English forward Dwight Gayle, 32, is in his plans after the player was linked with a return to Championship side West Brom, where he scored 24 goals on loan in 2018-19. (Birmingham Live)

Well either Howe is bigging him up to increase any fee we can get for him, or he's as hopeless as some of us suspect. If he picks Richie tomorrow the jury will no longer be out.

The interesting parts.

Newcastle United have made the signing of Jesse Lingard their priority in the January transfer window and are prepared to offer a deal that will make him the highest earner in the club’s history.

Lingard’s contract at Manchester United is due to expire next summer and Newcastle want to kickstart their season and usher in a new era at the club. Talks have already taken place with Lingard’s advisers and he has been offered a 4½-year deal significantly in excess of the £100,000-a-week salary of the club’s present top earner, Miguel Almirón. Newcastle are ready to offer a substantial transfer fee for the England international, despite the short amount of time left on his contract. United risk losing the 28-year-old for nothing if they do not sell him in January.

Lingard has struggled again for starts at Old Trafford this season and contract talks about an extension broke down in November. West Ham United, where the England forward scored nine goals in 16 games during a loan spell in the second half of last season, are also showing renewed interest.

Newcastle are six points adrift of safety at the foot of the Premier League table and have not won a game this season, a big problem as they look to invest the wealth from being 80 per cent owned by Saudi Arabia’s public investment fund. The form has also concerned Lingard, who is eager to play regularly to push for a place in Gareth Southgate’s England squad.

Eddie Howe, the Newcastle head coach, has remained coy on the subject of movement in the transfer window, aware that the side will have had to show some form before then to tempt high-profile signings.

I’d rather we didn’t sign him tbh. Smacks of a Nicky Butt/Joe Willock combo I.e: Man Utd reject and a bit vein of form last year masking what he’ll actually end up being for us, week in/week out. 

Definitely a no for me. 

I'd 100% take him. Needs to be playing if he wants in for the World Cup. Showed his quality at West Ham and whilst his position is not where we should really be prioritising he'd improve us, especially if Fraser continues to pull up no trees. 

Priorities should be CB and CM. A striker and full back added to that to, but we'll likely not get all that in January.

I think lingard would be an excellent signing, and that he’s miles better than he’s rated on average. He isn’t a winger and he isn’t an am and he isn’t a number 10 so he has done terrible at man United overall but his time at West Ham and his England performances have proved that he is an intelligent, modern sort of interchanging midfielder who has the attributes to keep the ball, give it to more direct players around him and smash in the occasional thunder bastard. If he does come I think he will look very good feeding Wilson and ASM. 

When I was watching England at the Euros it was obvious to me that other teams couldn’t deal with the likes of foden, saka, grealish, Mount and Sancho moving all over at high speed. Lingard is the sort of player who does a lot better when he is linking all of that up and worse when he has a more rigid job to do. 

Edited by Billy Pilgrim

I think right now it would be very hard for me to find a player from a top six club I wouldn't take. 

Our defence - Dubravka aside - is bordering on Championship standard. Our midfield options are mediocre and one paced. I'd say the attack is relatively ok for getting us out of bother, but even then I feel like the bar for improvement here is so low. 

I'd say absolutely we have bigger priorities, but if he's a deal that is available to do quickly or ahead of the window, I'm totally ok with it. 

3 hours ago, Lazarus said:

Good player but wheres he gonna play? Who's spot is he gonna take?

Presumably wide right - wheres Joe L play?

It's good to have options and strength in depth. ASM seem to tire often and Joelinton is not as productive despite his recent performances. Lingard will also be motivated to make the WC team so I can see it working out for both player and club.

Realistically it is also hard to attract players of a higher caliber considering the league position we are at. Happy to get players at his level to secure our league status, then build in the summer.