Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Just now, joeyt said:

:lol: you do know who Kieran Trippier is don't you?

It does not matter if he's the best full back in the world when we obvsiously need more urgent upgrades elsewhere in the team. Manquillo is probably the least of our worries in defence atm, nobody can deny that.

9 minutes ago, Beth said:

£50M is often quoted, so half of the budget on an aging RB?

Priorty for me is as follows: CM, CB, ST, FB, W.

Lets be honest here, everyone in football would be laughing their tits off at us if this deal went through. What next? £75M for Tarkowski?

£50m isn't often quoted. I think I've read that once, £200m is much more often quoted and most estimates go with a budget of anything between £200m to £800m over a period of 3 years.

Edited by kisearch

Just now, Beth said:

It does not matter if he's the best full back in the world when we obvsiously need more urgent upgrades elsewhere in the team. Manquillo is probably the least of our worries in defence atm, nobody can deny that.

We shouldn't be turning our nose up at any upgrade of any position, surely? The best full-back in the world would be a good signing. :lol:

Besides Trippier plays on both sides and LB is easily a weak link. 

I missed the part where we read about signing players in order of importance, but for what it's worth our right hand side offers nothing offensively so having someone on the right who can put in a great cross from any position could make a huge difference to our team. 

1 minute ago, kisearch said:

£50m isn't often quoted. I think I've read that once, £200m is much more often quoted and the estimate is that we have a budget anything between £200m to £800m over a period of 3 years.

There's also no way we pay fees up front anymore. A £25m Trippier might take £5m out of the budget in January.

For me at least the priority positions are full back and centre midfield. We also need a striker for Wilson's annual injury lay off, but we could easily exploit the loan market. A centre back would be decent, but our defence wouldn't look half as bad if they had a midfield in front of them that could shield them and keep the ball. A centre back is always going to look worse when they're getting turned and dragged out of position all of the time.

9 minutes ago, Beth said:

Manq was dreadful on Sunday

Can't believe what I'm reading

We obviously need other positions improved upon too but as long as Trippier isn't the only one then any improvement in any position is good.

On a lesser level, he's also somebody with a decent name, if we're to improve having players of his calibre and stature convinces others too.

If our budget is £50m and we also spend £25m on one player I'll eat my hat. It's one or the other surely, either the budget is £50m and we buy a few £10m-£15m players, or we're spending £25m on players like Trippier and spending much more. 

Edited by kisearch

23 minutes ago, kisearch said:

£50m isn't often quoted. I think I've read that once, £200m is much more often quoted and most estimates go with a budget of anything between £200m to £800m over a period of 3 years.

I'm pretty sure 200m  is quoted as the max financial fair play will allow us to spend over the next 3 seasons, going by our current financial sitution. Obviously this can go up if our financial situation improves.

My thoughts on the move come entirely down to how much they intend to spend this January.

If this takes away from strengthening the spine of the team, particularly CM, then I'd rather not. But as long as it's not hampering any other intended moves I'd be elated with Trippier for £25m.

6 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

I'm pretty sure 200m  is quoted as the max financial fair play will allow us to spend over the next 3 seasons, going by our current financial sitution. Obviously this can go up if our financial situation improves.

That also ignores amortisation, where the cost of the player is actually spread over the length of the players contract. So if we spent £50m on a player with a 5 year contract, that would only count as £10m for this year (but would obviously affect each subsequent year by £10m.

Guest reefatoon
31 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Are we only signing 1 player then?

No, but they must be signed in order. Trippier can’t be signed until 4 other players are signed by the sounds of it. Doesn’t matter if he becomes available first, he just has to wait until we fill other positions. :uglystupid2: