Transfer rumours

Yorkie

7 minutes ago, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

I think he's probably done enough to warrant a move elsewhere that's better than Newcastle. But as you said, I don't really know if there's any teams in desperate need for a LB right now.

I still keep reading stuff like that!

I know footballers are (said to be) not very bright, but I actually do think that a reasonable percentage of them are bright enough to be able to see 'beyond the next pay packet' and are able to work out that in the near future there isn't going to be anywhere better to be than at Newcastle United - no matter what happens at the end of this season.

4 minutes ago, manorpark said:

I know footballers are (said to be) not very bright, but I actually do think that a reasonable percentage of them are bright enough to be able to see 'beyond the next pay packet' and are able to work out that in the near future there isn't going to be anywhere better to be than at Newcastle United - no matter what happens at the end of this season.

You'd hope so. Point I was trying to make was maybe he just doesn't fancy a relegation scrap full stop.

Everton aren't skint. I doubt there's many clubs out there that would be willing to pay what would be necessary to get Digne considering his value will only decrease from now on due to his age - we may be one of the few willing buyers, purely out of desperation.

14 minutes ago, manorpark said:

While i agree that in a few years there probably won't be many better places, i'd happily argue that most are not able to see beyond the next pay packet.

Some will come here for the obscene amounts it would take to get them, some will use us to get better deals out of their existing clubs, some will refuse as they can't look beyond the table, and some may well just be happy to stay where they are.

Could also potentially say that the ones that do come for money now will be aware that they will be replaced before things get properly good and it's them rather than us for a change that have been used as the 'stepping-stone'

7 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Well yes, but they still have to sell before they can buy

I don't think it's quite that strict (i.e. it can be assessed over the course of a season), but yes they will be selling Digne if they do buy this new lb.

Digne might be available for loan given he’s been dropped and about to be replaced. The Everton board might not want to sell him in case there’s a new manager who might like Digne…?

Mind, if that’s true, you’d expect Chelsea to get him

1 hour ago, Raconteur said:

There’s also the three year period that has now advanced six months since they were hamstrung in summer - some expensive transfers would no longer count towards FFP

So it resets after 3 years then gets ignored? 

Didn't know that was how it worked