Transfer rumours

Yorkie

16 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Dunno much about Berge other that that I can recall (possibly incorrectly) him being massively out of his depth when he first arrived. 

His main strength is protecting the defense from a central midfield position. That's where he excelled at Genk and for Norway.

I havent seen him being used in that role at Sheffield United. Maybe that has changed since they got relegated, but last season he was primarily being used on the right of a midfield 3, where he was expected to contribute more offensively than defensively.

7 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

being linked with mid table championship players has me slightly worried, hopefully it’s bullshit. 

Aye I know little about him in fairness so my opinion is near enough worthless but CDM is a position I really want us to go out on.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

But just cos a player is from mid-table in the Championship doesn't mean they're not a good fit for us, both in terms of their attributes on the pitch and mentality. I also think that despite the Trippier link, the pool of players we can go after given our position is probably quite limited. 

He's a class above the Champiosnhip but he's been injured for most of the season which is why I thought he'd be a good target for us in the summer rather than January when I first mentioned him

Sheff Utd being midtable this season isn't anything to do with him

Berge was a hell of a coup when Sheffield United signed him but he’s been underwhelming in the championship by all accounts. I’m sure klopp wanted him at Liverpool at one point.

Edited by lovejoy

He's only completed a full game a handful of timesin the Championship. I think he's got great attributes (height, can pick a pass and plays with his head up) and he's only 23, I think Howe would love working with that potential.  I think he's got similar attributes to Billing who Howe signed at Bournemouth but Berge is a lot more athletic than Billing

There were rumours he had a relegation release clause, not sure if that's still the case or if it's expired

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

Newcastle United are considering making a move for Sheffield United midfielder Sander Berge in the January transfer window. Woodman, Hendrick, Gayle could be used in an exchange deal. #nufc [Sky Sports News]

Give them Hayden, Longstaff and Shortstaff as well.

If we can do some sort of swap deal to get Berge for Hendrick/Gayle it would be fantastic business. Fill a position we definitely need upgrade and take out some of the squad players who can’t get near the first team. 

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Linked with West Ham this morning 

If he goes to West Ham he becomes the next Lescott, if he goes here he becomes the next Lascelles. 

Would still like that we tried to pick up prospects from the championship that may turn out to be good enough to keep us up, and if not, then at least more than good enough and willing to take us right back up again rather than signing a bunch of players that will want out if we dont manage to stay up so we have to essentially make three new squads in three seasons.