Transfer rumours

Yorkie

See Icardi going Juve for 35m euros. Mental.

Also why are you on a football discussion forum if you're "on board with everything the consortium/Howe do"

Surely the main idea of football is opinion and debate?

Not having a dig by the way, just confused

Edited by Menace

1 hour ago, ManDoon said:

He’s fully despised at Juve, prob for comments like this:

”"I know what I can do with the right training I can stay fit for a long period of time and play a lot of games. I feel good when I am given the opportunity and I am managed correctly. Here with Wales, they allow me to play a lot of games in a row”

Tbh, that could just be him being pissed off at not getting enough game time. I was more concerned that he was missing games through injury. Might be he just wants to come back to England in which case he would be very motivated at a chance to resurrect his club career. 

Guest neesy111
1 hour ago, midds said:

Peak Ramsey is well in the distance from everything I've seen and read. He used to be very very good, as good as any CM we've had for decades at his peak tbh. I've just not seen enough of that recently enough to justify signing him. Put whatever his wage would have been into signing someone who's still hungry and wanting to perform. 

Just feels like dead money spending it on him right now. 

Yeap, same with Coutinho.  We need players who are playing and in decent form to hit the ground running.

I get the worries about fitness and yes it would be a total waste of a space and money if he got injured again but if we could get him fit and up for it I think he would make a huge difference to the relegation fight, big chance to take though. 

Edited by HWTL

At least Coutinho had somewhat of a good season with Bayern last year, but the way he’s carrying on at Barca, for whatever reason, we should be avoiding players like that. I suspect Ramsey is less of an ego but he still misses too much playing time, would he even cope with the effort of a high press?

Although signing better players at the back and in midfield, we’re going to have more of the ball so it won’t be as much of a requirement as it is right now.

we need players with immediat impact and motivation even if we paid more for 6 months 

ramsay possible mais not sur but we need players experience 

the captain of burley is a necessary with trippier , and another one in defense this week 

Ramsay / trippier / Tarkowski / jovic / Kamara   for the end of the week in order to be attracted with goods players next week end :) 

because after  we need a player like lindgard or hazard for the end , and a player like zacaria 

maybe a goal keeper to finish 

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Tbh, that could just be him being pissed off at not getting enough game time. I was more concerned that he was missing games through injury. Might be he just wants to come back to England in which case he would be very motivated at a chance to resurrect his club career. 

Nah. Mentality sucks. Anybody that whinges about not being managed correctly can take a long walk. Seems to e like Wales are managing him wrongly, because they need him more than Juve do.

27 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

At least Coutinho had somewhat of a good season with Bayern last year, but the way he’s carrying on at Barca, for whatever reason, we should be avoiding players like that. I suspect Ramsey is less of an ego but he still misses too much playing time, would he even cope with the effort of a high press?

Although signing better players at the back and in midfield, we’re going to have more of the ball so it won’t be as much of a requirement as it is right now.

Thing for me is, the likes of Coutinho, Wijnaldum and Ramsey are all well and good, but are they really the type of players we need right now? We have Willock already if we want a flaky goal scoring midfielder. Now I get those players of a much higher quality, but what we really need is a Tiote type of midfield enforcer. I know not everyone was a fan, but you were never in any doubt he was on the pitch. He was everywhere for good or bad. 

5 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Nah. Mentality sucks. Anybody that whinges about not being managed correctly can take a long walk. Seems to e like Wales are managing him wrongly, because they need him more than Juve do.

Agree, long term he would probably be a waster, but if Juve want rid, there could be a short term deal which suits all sides. Either a loan or a relatively low fee for them to be shot of him. My main concern would be his injury record so I would not want to be committing to a long term contract. Some British players just can't hack it abroad, if he's one of those, then we could take advantage and get him relatively cheaply. 

2 hours ago, Menace said:

See Icardi going Juve for 35m euros. Mental.

Also why are you on a football discussion forum if you're "on board with everything the consortium/Howe do"

Surely the main idea of football is opinion and debate?

Not having a dig by the way, just confused

I think the ‘main idea of football’ is playing/watching it TBH but to each their own.

If we’re going for stopgap creative midfielders to get us through that won’t be too much of a commitment what’s Juan Mata up to?

Edited by Sima

4 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

Newcastle enter transfer window long on bankroll but short on expertise in bid to save Premier League status

Eddie Howe’s side need to bring in top players to avoid falling into the Championship, but attracting talent to a relegation battle is not as simple as it seems

Howe, who was not first choice to become Newcastle manager, has five points to show for his first seven matches in charge

One win in half a season of Premier League football. Forty-two goals conceded in 19 matches. Second-bottom of the division with as many as three more games played than the five clubs above them in the relegation stramash. Newcastle United’s performance problems are writ large.

But then you have the financial might of PIF, the Saudi Arabian sovereign wealth fund which intends to have accumulated over $1trillion of assets by 2025. Plus a January transfer window where the vast majority of Europe’s football clubs are thirsting for cash. Problems solved?

Football isn’t as simple as that.

Money is necessary for success in the modern game. As the game’s latest nation-state club is in the process of finding out, it is not sufficient on its own.

Place yourself in the boots of the myriad of footballers Newcastle’s new owners have shortlisted to retain their seat at the Premier League table, a perch that cost the Saudi-led ownership group an initial £305million some three months ago.

Newcastle’s new manager, Eddie Howe, has five points to show for his first seven matches in charge. He was not first choice for the position and his last Premier League season ended in relegation.

Newcastle have yet to appoint a director of football, despite interviewing multiple candidates for the role. Their incumbent Head of Recruitment, Steve Nickson, helped build the squad that is currently sinking into the Championship with over £50m of club-record transfer fees misinvested in Miguel Almiron and Joelinton.

Newcastle have no chief executive. Their de facto interim CEO, Amanda Staveley, built her reputation on two high-profiles sales of famous English clubs to Middle East royal families. She has no previous experience of running a football club or signing football players.

Newcastle’s three-person board, rounded out by PIF governor Yasir Al-Rumayyan and minority investor Jamie Reuben, can muster no more than a handful of years’ experience as football club directors between them.

All of them courtesy of young English property developer Reuben’s 2018 board appointment at lowly Queens’ Park Rangers.

“The problem is not money,” says one of Europe’s leading technical directors. “The problem is credibility.

“Newcastle need top players immediately or they go down. Players with the quality, tactical skills, and mental skills to help Newcastle fight its way out of the hole the team are in. But the kind of player who can make the difference won’t go to Newcastle now because the people running the project lack football credibility.

Staveley, Newcastle’s de facto interim CEO, has no previous experience of running a football club

“If Amanda goes to those players with a guy who’s had success in his career the player’s answer is different. Everyone is open to hearing what Newcastle have to say; everyone in football knows the club has money. But after talking to this Newcastle everyone thinks that the club is going to the second division.”

Staveley, who holds an open-ended management contract to run Newcastle with her husband Mehrdad Ghodoussi, thinks otherwise. Though a large amount of human capital has already been spent on interviewing potential sports directors, the brief is that an immediate appointment is not essential.

Staveley feels that with Howe and Nickson in place - and former Celtic head of football operations Nick Hammond briefly brought in to “sense-check” recruitment strategy - her club has everything in place to sign the players needed this month. Newcastle have a strong list of targets and the finances required to secure them.

Brighton and Hove Albion director of football Dan Ashworth has been granted permission to speak to Newcastle and informed his current employers of an offer worth a basic £2m per annum plus lucrative performance-related bonuses. Yet Newcastle sources say that Staveley and PIF would be comfortable waiting until the end of February before formally appointing both a director of football (be that Ashworth or another name) and Lee Charnley’s replacement as chief executive. January signings do not require either.

“We have targets we’ve identified between myself, the coaching team and the recruitment team,” said Howe. “And we have a big body of people working on the club’s behalf to try and find a way to strengthen the squad. A lot of detail’s gone into that but you can have the most detailed process in the world, yet if players don’t want to come to your team, or clubs don’t want to sell them, the challenge of January becomes very difficult.”

Right back, centre back, central midfield and a striker to complement and cover for the recently re-injured Callum Wilson are priority positions. Staveley has been advised to add four transfers to the two domestic loans Premier League rules allow the club. A huge undertaking in any mid-season window; all the more so for a club effectively being run by a committee of relative football ingenues and an investment fund.

Trippier is keen to leave Atlético Madrid to join Newcastle and is a feasible, if expensive, target for January

Kieran Trippier, the England full back who unsuccessfully pushed Atlético Madrid to sell him to Manchester United in the summer, is encouraging Newcastle to buy him out of his contract in Spain. It looks a deal that can be done, albeit at inflated expense.

In the centre of defence Lille’s Sven Botman is an astute target, but one who sources close to the player say prefers to wait for a Champions League club. Howe likes James Tarkowski, out of contract at Burnley in the summer, yet extracting a starter from a relegation rival is no simple process.

Juventus want to offload Aaron Ramsey’s €7m (£5.9m) net salary and the Wales international needs football in a World Cup year, but he has not completed a full 90 minutes of Serie A or Champions League football since the summer of 2020. Anthony Martial has placed himself on the market; Manchester United want a loan fee plus wages of almost twice that amount covered in full.

Relegation clauses, salary hikes, inflated agents’ fees. Plus that crucial credibility gap. Though there are pitfalls everywhere, Newcastle have consciously elected to enter the market long on bankroll and short on expertise.

Might Saudi Arabia look at where the first months of the club’s foggy management structure has taken it and decide to rip everything up and start again? There are voices in Riyadh suggesting it will.

One winter window on the Tyne. So much on the line.

5 minutes ago, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

"Might Saudi Arabia look at where the first months of the club’s foggy management structure has taken it and decide to rip everything up and start again? There are voices in Riyadh suggesting it will" 

What? 

It’s Duncan Castles article……take it with a pinch of salt…he don’t like us🤪