Transfer rumours

Yorkie

I wouldn't blame any player who doesn't want to join us right now. We're 19th and still settling on the direction of the club.

At the same time I wouldn't waste my time trying to persuade them otherwise, move onto the next target down the list. We need players who want to be here.

While that’s fair enough, Digne has two options now (Chelsea & West Ham) where he could bypass ‘the journey’ and go straight there. Can’t begrudge him that, he’ll be first choice at either Chelsea until the summer competing in the top 3 and playing Champions League or West Ham permanently, competing in the top 5/6 and playing Europa League.

6 minutes ago, gdm said:

I’m afraid this is our biggest problem. Is what it is we are a club 2nd bottom and these players will take one look at it and not fancy it 

Yes but if you are a player (you have to be able to back yourself) 

We can only move forward by signing good players , if they can’t see that themselves they are blinkered and do no back themselves 

If the player sits down and listens to the plan / future / potential signings …and the fact they club want to sign them (then surely if they rate themselves highly) they must think that the tide will turn ?

Just now, JonBez comesock said:

They may well back themselves but they may not back the current players that have got us 2nd bottom 

2 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

We can only move forward by signing good players , if they can’t see that themselves they are blinkered and do no back themselves 

If the player sits down and listens to the plan / future / potential signings …and the fact they club want to sign them (then surely if they rate themselves highly) they must think that the tide will turn ?

It's not about backing yourself at all. Players who make it to the top level have no problem backing themselves. If we're mid-table this situation doesn't occur, it's an easy 'yes'. But, it's still quite likely we'll go down and players don't want a relegation on their CV, to play a year in the second tier or the disruption of moving to one club, only to move to another 6 months later when the first is relegated. To say they don't back themselves is oversimplifying the thought process.

They also have to look at the other players at the club - "do i back myself? Yes 100%. Do i back Gayle, Shelvey, Lascelles, Almiron, Longstaff etc? Fuck no" 

1 minute ago, GeordieT said:

Edward’s proposing that Nketiah, Solanke, Origi and Cantwell represent our shortlist for forwards. Not really names to inspire huge confidence. 

No chance on Origi with Salah and Mane away.

All would be a huge upgrade on Gayle.

Edited by SUPERTOON

Just now, GeordieT said:

Edward’s proposing that Nketiah, Solanke, Origi and Cantwell represent our shortlist for forwards. Not really names to inspire huge confidence. 

:scared: Spunk 17 on that Barbosa guy and hope he its the ground running, if not we might have another BBM on our hands!

5 minutes ago, tom1988 said:

Origi would be very decent. Whilst maybe not the level that we aspire to long term, if we're talking about the next 6 - 12 months then we could do a lot worse! 

Don't see him leaving Liverpool, Klopp and the squad love him, he seems happy to sit and fill in and play for the team etc. If he wanted to get more game time he would of left by now, imo.

Surely Howe won't sign Solanke twice!? He scored 3 in 42 PL games for him and was one of the main reasons they went down.

Strikers are a bit of a lottery like. More so than other positions. I'd be confident in most of the names mentioned for midfielders and defenders coming in and having an impact. Fuck knows with a striker. 

Emmanuel Dennis has scored 8 in the first half of the season. He scored 0 in 18 last season over two spells in Belgium and Germany. Who would have guessed that!? Absolute plethora of strikers who have come in for big money and flopped. 

Vital we get a centre half and a centre midfielder like as we're going to have to get lucky with a forward.