Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Just now, JonBez comesock said:

I agree 

however we have Watford this week which is a huge game 

if they beat us they go 5 points clear of us with a game in hand 

Watford then have Burnley on the Tuesday which could take them 8 points clear - level games 

they play Norwich on the Saturday 😬

I know. I think we’ll sign one or two this week. It’s the whinging about not having 3 signings in already that does my head in. As if it’s Football Manager.

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

I know. I think we’ll sign one or two this week. It’s the whinging about not having 3 signings in already that does my head in. As if it’s Football Manager.

Yeah it’s not that easy agreed , I think we only have 4 days to get a few players in so we can register for Saturday 

hard work - but very important 

Just now, Menace said:

People assume Watford are going to win 3 games back to back, if that was the case they wouldn't be in this mess with us...

Definitely don’t assume anything but it’s not impossible against the 3 bottom teams 

I was just stressing how huge this week is , as well as the upcoming fixtures 

What we need from this January window is just enough to stay up. Frankly, I don’t mind taking some non-flashy players in who can be relied upon and have a bit of fight, as well as more exotic signings. We just need to stay up, we can build a squad in the summer, ideally with a DOF in place.

Strikers from abroad can take a few games to really start scoring, we need Wood as the safer fall back option and then someone more interesting from abroad.

targeting Wood is therefore a good idea

1 hour ago, nufcnick said:

We should have had at least 3-4 players in ready last week, not fucking 1 player, it’s the constant hesitation from day 1 that’s going to make sure we’re relegated this season 

No.

If you’ve got Yelevats liking your posts, you’ve got a problem.

Guest HTT II
4 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Would like a spicy rumour to emerge tonight 

We are after some striker from Chile.

Edited by HTT II

45 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I haven’t checked but I wouldn't imagine we cross more than burnley. But it’s not just that, Burnley play a really grim 4-4-2, and a lot of the success is how rigid it is, not something Howe likes, and Wood has been partnered with Barnes (a complete cunt). We don’t have any really crossers of the ball, anyone to play alongside Wood in the Barnes role. It was very effective for burnley and Wood. I don’t think we have the tools and I just don’t see why Howe would want Wood. It would signify a change in style because like others have mentioned hes an old school 9, but works better with a partner and now is aging out.

Imo he would be fine as a second option, if we sign him as a primary striker we are in trouble. I think they have the lowest goals from open play this season.

I get what you're saying, I just don't think it means we definitely have to change our style. Burnley play percentages, but like you say Liverpool stick loads of crosses in the box while playing excellent football. There's a big gap in the middle between those two team's styles where I think we'd fit, and while we don't cross loads at the moment it's possibly just chicken/egg - if it's not a strength of your team you don't do it as much, when you've got someone like Wood and it becomes a strength, you do it a bit more. Trippier, Shelvey, and Ritchie (I know) are all very good crossers and there's the potential that we get more in this window too. 

We've played Burnley and saw how shit they were, but it's not like it was Wood or any of their strikers missing chances that was the problem, they were just playing shite percentage stuff everywhere. I definitely agree that I'd want to see him come in as a plan B though, I wouldn't be confident of surviving if he was the main CF coming in.