Transfer rumours

Yorkie

fixtures not been mentioned as a major reason for 96 yet - if you look at them the first half was very favourable with us playing most of the harder teams at home (won 17/19 after all) when we were on form, then it switched second half to us having to go to a lot of difficult places away when our form had dipped or started to dip

it wasn't one thing, it was a number of things

There were lots of other factors in our collapse, but Gillespie calls it right in that article. The original team had a beautiful balance about it, with Sir Les leading the line, Gillespie and Ginola on the wings, Beardsley and Lee linking midfield and attack, and Clark in a holding role. When Tino arrived, Beardsley was pushed out wide to accommodate a Ferdinand - Asprilla partnership, and we didn't have the same fluency going forward.

It was a number of factors as to why we didn’t win the title, the biggest thing for me is we lacked leaders on the pitch and in the dressing room, KK was our leader in every sense. Most of our players were too nice.

As for Batty, he wasn’t signed to be a defensive midfielder, he got torn into by KK in one game at half-time where he was actually our best player and told off for playing simple passes and sitting off.

If I wanted a defender in midfield I’d play a defender there to paraphrase KK. Batty has since said he never felt more liberated as a footballer and it reminded him of being a kid again where it was all about fun, expressing yourself and doing things you could think of or wanted to do.

Tino didn’t upset the dynamic either and if you rewatch games from that season, he was one of the hardest working players in the team off the ball, constantly pressing and winning balls ala Beardsley.

We just lacked the mental fortitude to see it out, that and we had burnt so much energy and good form at the start of the season which is hard to keep up and we were up against a freak of force in Man Utd, and the pressure…

Fergie said if we started the season how we finished, and finished how we started, we’d have easily won, they did the total opposite and won. He also said had we finished like we started, it would have been a record points total.

We were capable, more than, but we just didn’t have the right leaders, character and mindset when things weren’t going our way other than in the manager himself, who obviously couldn’t play.

Great days though, the best of times and what a team!

It was a range of factors, Man Utd going on a run at the end that bettered our start, loss of form individually (Lee always seemed to tire towards the end of the season and Beardsley did as well), othwr teams seemed better prepared for us as the season went on and we had less of a plan B (perhaps that's why KK got Asprilla and Batty) and also the press with their "Newcastles dodgy defence line" kept teams going after going behind (same story from Blackburn and Man City fans I spoke to on hols that Summer).

8 minutes ago, Cronky said:

There were lots of other factors in our collapse, but Gillespie calls it right in that article. The original team had a beautiful balance about it, with Sir Les leading the line, Gillespie and Ginola on the wings, Beardsley and Lee linking midfield and attack, and Clark in a holding role. When Tino arrived, Beardsley was pushed out wide to accommodate a Ferdinand - Asprilla partnership, and we didn't have the same fluency going forward.

Beardsley and Tino didn’t really have set positions, they were free from that high saw them play and pop up all over the place, Tino arriving didn’t effect the dynamics of how we played. We saw when Shearer arrived, how KK wasn’t too hung up on positions, they both often played as wide forwards as much as centra forwards. That’s why Lee got so many goals from midfield as he’d be the late arriving CF almost with Shearer wide or Ferdinand, or Tino or Beardsley deep and Ginola and Gillspeie on the flanks left or right constantly switching. 

44 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Keeps seeing links with that lazy cunt Dele Alli.  Hope we steer well clear.

Has his stock fallen that badly? Seem to recall a couple of seasons where he was good.

Newcastle are interested in Real Madrid and Germany's 31-year-old midfielder Toni Kroos. (El Nacional - in Spanish)

The Magpies aren't concerned by Aaron Ramsey's wage demands as they consider signing the 30-year-old Wales midfielder from Juventus in January. (Tuttosport, via Mirror)

Newcastle want Ajax boss Erik ten Hag to be the club's new manager but face a struggle to convince him to move. (Mirror)

43 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I’d love us to sign Conor Gallagher, he was immense yesterday.

Unfortunately the ship has sailed. He's going to break into the Chelsea team next season. He'll be playing as much as Mason Mount does for them in a year. 

42 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

I’d swap a lot of Palace’s current squad for our lot 

Considering the state that team was in going into the summer, it was an extraordinarily top notch rebuild by Vieira, who is looking like he is going to be an elite manager.

Just a reminder that Vieira was of course one of the names we considered and overlooked under Ashley ...

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Considering the state that team was in going into the summer, it was an extraordinarily top notch rebuild by Vieira, who is looking like he is going to be an elite manager.

Just a reminder that Vieira was of course one of the names we considered and overlooked under Ashley ...

Was he overlooked? As I recall at the time, it was reported he had knocked us back.

6 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Was he overlooked? As I recall at the time, it was reported he had knocked us back.

Ah, yes. Now you mention it I think I recall seeing that.

However, when you consider that he just accepted the Crystal Palace job, I think it is safe to assume that our approach was very unimpressive and we did a rubbish job of making the position remotely interesting or enticing, because it really should not have been difficult to get him at that point in time.

Just now, KaKa said:

Ah, yes. Now you mention it I think I recall seeing that.

However, when you consider that he just accepted the Crystal Palace job, I think it is safe to assume that our approach was very unimpressive and we did a rubbish job of making the position remotely interesting or enticing, because it really should not have been difficult to get him at that point in time.

Under Ashley every man and their dog knocked the job back (11 at last count) after Rafa, unless your name was Steve Bruce. Just think that no manager with any ambition would have worked for Ashley at that time.