Crystal Palace 1 - 1 Newcastle United (23/10/21)

BlueStar

The best thing NUFC fans can do .....is ignore it all.      So many times Ive wanted to bite on twitter, even started a reply but then thought.......nah that's what they want.     Ignore and it will slowly start to get less and less.   

I think this takeover has been tough for Palace fans as we are/were in that mini-league of clubs in no man’s land; just hovering above the relegation spots year on year in the faint hope that one day it clicks and we manage to break into the top 10 or get forgiving cup ties.

Must be soul-destroying to see us potentially breaking out of that depressing mould and looking at bigger and brighter things. 

Edited by McCormick

I work with Palace and I think they're a really good club. Behind the scenes, they're trying a lot of things to evolve the fanbase and create a direction. They have to fight hard for new supporters and they put a lot of effort into fan experience.

Some of it is trial and error so it can come across as a bit of artificial but they really do have a lot of competitive factors to contend with.

Just been watching the game back and I have to say Lascelles was terrible. He should have always been looking to attach himself to Benteke being our biggest and most physical defender, but instead he kept passing him onto Krafth and Clarke and then was standing in space and picking up no one. Looked like he was scared of him. Utterly ridiculous.

Edited by KaKa

They would have been out of sight had they had Wilson in attack, they really impressed me with their football, they will convert a lot of these draws into wins soon, or when they can sign a finisher. 

Think we’ll be a lot better once we get Clarke out of the team. He was absolutely horrendous for their goal. Weak as piss attempt to dispossess Gallagher immediately followed by shit marking on the cross. He’s finished.

9 minutes ago, Smal said:

Think we’ll be a lot better once we get Clarke out of the team. He was absolutely horrendous for their goal. Weak as piss attempt to dispossess Gallagher immediately followed by shit marking on the cross. He’s finished.

One of the worst performances I’ve ever seen yesterday. Not sure he passed to a teammate ever. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Didn't see the game but 214 passes in total and 64% of them 138 successful. It's about 1,5 successful passes per minute! How is that even possible? And possession 25%! 

We'going to need a new midfield ASAP. And I thought Jones's going to play possession based attacking football. Yeah...he did have 3 days to train with the players but still. It was even worse than under SB. 

1 minute ago, Beezeri said:

Didn't see the game but 214 passes in total and 64% of them 138 successful. It's about 1,5 successful passes per minute! How is that even possible? And possession 25%! 

We'going to need a new midfield ASAP. And I thought Jones's going to play possession based attacking football. Yeah...he did have 3 days to train with the players but still. It was even worse than under SB. 

It’s the defence as well, absolutely no thought other than to launch the ball every time. 

Just now, Beezeri said:

It’s not even the worse performance in the last 7 days. Absolute nonsense.

It wasn’t sparkling attacking football, no. But we clearly had a plan (for the first time in ages) and executed it fairly well.

A point away from home in our predicament is a good start, especially when it would have comfortably been a defeat if Bruce was still here.

8 minutes ago, Beezeri said:

He's trained with those players since January and I still maintain he is a massive part of the problems we had. He should be booted at the earliest opportunity when a new manager and his coaching staff are in place.  

7 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

He's trained with those players since January and I still maintain he is a massive part of the problems we had. He should be booted at the earliest opportunity when a new manager and his coaching staff are in place.  

And he likely will be!

It's clear that the rest of the league are worried about our new riches and not on any principles. While I can imagine the "big 6" being concerned about the threat that we pose to their dominance, it should not affect Palace since they are not competing where we want to be. They just feel like another Villa who celebrated our relegation on the last day when they are just as irrelevant. Weird.

56 minutes ago, Beezeri said:

2 passes one minute and one pass the next. Alternate for the entire 90 minutes.

Guest neesy111

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that banner and I'd feel worse about the footballing community if fans didn't show their feelings towards the takeover.  Palace fans have a good history with them attacking the PL etc.

It would help as well if we didn't have fans in headscarves and waving Saudi flags, that really does make us a target for other fans in associating fanbase as being pro SA.

2 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that banner and I'd feel worse about the footballing community if fans didn't show their feelings towards the takeover.  Palace fans have a good history with them attacking the PL etc.

It would help as well if we didn't have fans in headscarves and waving Saudi flags, that really does make us a target for other fans in associating fanbase as being pro SA.

I do agree, but how much do you think is just ‘fans find something about rival club to take the piss out of’? 

Obviously I agree with highlighting the issues, as long as blame isn’t directed at the newcastle fans themselves. 

So as far as every person on here who knows or is from Saudi - the dressing in the Saudi garb was amusing, endearing and in good fun. It’s also been ok’d by the ownership. Does wearing such attire make you accepting of any and all that goes on Saudi? That’s what it seems like I keep reading here and online so this is a genuine question. 

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

So as far as every person on here who knows or is from Saudi - the dressing in the Saudi garb was amusing, endearing and in good fun. It’s also been ok’d by the ownership. Does wearing such attire make you accepting of any and all that goes on Saudi? That’s what it seems like I keep reading here and online so this is a genuine question. 

Not necessarily, but I’d be nervous about it for that reason. 

My feeling is more “the takeover is amazing but it’s a shame where the money is coming from”. So I wouldn’t really want to glorify or highlight that aspect. 

That said, I don’t expect every football fan to think of it in those terms, and I imagine most are just dressing up because they’re excited. 

I’d like people to be more aware of what Saudi Arabia get up to, I’m sure that is happening to some extent with all the coverage.