Crystal Palace 1 - 1 Newcastle United (23/10/21)

BlueStar

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I wouldn't give a shite if Ryan Fraser never played for us again. No idea what he does.

Thought it was a bad decision to start him tbh, said as much in the pre-match thread. 

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

He's not a centre midfielder tbf. 

Yeah, he needs to be played far further forward, and probably would have made more sense to bring him off the bench where he could have offered more goal threat once the game opened up a bit. 

Really not sure what people were expecting there tbh.

We’ve had a Shite manager devoid of tactics for over two years.

Jones had them for three days and you could see the difference in the pattern of defending for that amount of time.

He tried to close it down and then go for it, that was obvious and yet you’d think we should’ve walked it looking on here 

Weird game. Worst I've seen us play from an attacking perspective in years, but I'm absolutely convinced we lose that game under Bruce. 

Jones isn't the answer, but that was already obvious. 

Absolutely God awful squad, desperately need players that can play quick tempo passing, relax when on the ball and move off the ball. Without that it's just hit long direct balls. 

Really don't think there's many mangers that can come in and get this squad winning 3 or 4 games on the bounce, needs massive improvement. 

If we can keep ourselves involved within touching distance of the teams just outside the bottom 3 we'll be able to pull ourselves out of it as long as we bring in some quality in Jan. 

Need lots of it though. 

Just now, Scotty66 said:

Absolutely God awful squad, desperately need players that can play quick tempo passing, relax when on the ball and move off the ball. Without that it's just hit long direct balls. 

Really don't think there's many mangers that can come in and get this squad winning 3 or 4 games on the bounce, needs massive improvement. 

If we can keep ourselves involved within touching distance of the teams just outside the bottom 3 we'll be able to pull ourselves out of it as long as we bring in some quality in Jan. 

Need lots of it though. 

Yes it’s not the best, but there’s potential in it and with a decent manager we’ll be way above relegation

It’s a good point. People expecting us to go out and beat a superior (to us) Palace side are living in a bit of a dreamworld. Gallagher alone is light years ahead of anything we have.

As has been mentioned, the players are totally devoid of confidence. There’s so much work to do. If we could somehow fluke another point next week the new man will come into a reasonable situation.

Jones got lucky today, we got hammered out there. Midfield was non existent and ASM wasn’t allowed in the game at all. We did nothing to create any space. 

I might be doing Jones a disservice but looked to me that he played Krafth because he has a long throw and I’ve no idea why Fraser started, baffling.

3 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Longstaff-Hayden is Championship.  We need a new midfield. 

That’s the biggest issue we have. Fix that and we’ll be fine, but there are a lot of games between now and January.

Could Schar play there alongside Hayden? At least you’d have two deep lying centre mids who can drop in, one of which can actually pick a pass.

I thought Jones did the best he could with what he had, he's not the man to turn us around but we were facing an energetic, resurgent Palace side and defence was first and foremost. Midfield is paramount in January, there's no cohesion between defence and attack so we end up getting pegged back. Like I said during the game if he'd have told the midfield to press on a little further it would have left us wide open at the back which is what Bruce has been doing, we would have comfortably lost that. It's going to take some time to coach the Bruce out of these lot but with a new manager and another international break coming up we might be able to salvage some points between now and January where we can make some much needed changes and hopefully push on in the new year with some more favourable games to be played. Squeeky bum time, margins of error this season are very slim.