Crystal Palace 1 - 1 Newcastle United (23/10/21)

BlueStar

I'm not even totally sure that the banner was a direct pop at Newcastle fans either. The main target of it was the PL for passing it and for the Saudi's for their horrific record on human rights. Both of which I would find it impossible to argue with tbh. The facts are that the Saudi's record of HR is abhorrent and criticising it is absolutely fair game imo, letting it slide and ignoring it isn't going to do anything to help the situation. 

I suppose the timing of it all could be questioned. Why are Palace fans suddenly concerned with HR abuses in Saudi Arabia? Where were the banners last month? The obvious answer is that Palace fans now have to compete with a club that's now part of their world via the PL, and they've got every right to voice their protest. Newcastle fans see the banner in the stadium and online, consider it an attack and the first, natural instinct is to defend the club as they would do, it's tribal, you attack us, we defend ourselves. Problem with that mentality is that is plays into the hands of the Saudis and in doing so you're already quite a few steps down the line of defending the indefensible. It's sportswashing, it's the reason they wanted a PL club in the first place. 

We're going to have to get used to this, we're also going to have to be better at responding to it too. 

Yeah, I mean it’s never clear when the ‘blame’ is suppose to fall on the fans or what we’re actually supposed to do. And it’s the PL and government who have structural relationships with SA. 

It feels like an attack because it makes us feel guilty/defensive about enjoying the takeover, which is sadly just a feeling we have to live with. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Guest neesy111

I'm just against it from a cultural perspective.  I've done a lot of travel and 1st rule is respecting the local customs.  I think it's rude and disrespectful. 

We live in a free and open speech country though, that's one with thing we should celebrate and focus on despite who owns us.  That's why these banners should be no issue for us fans.

Edited by neesy111

1 hour ago, Beezeri said:

Didn't see the game but 214 passes in total and 64% of them 138 successful. It's about 1,5 successful passes per minute! How is that even possible? And possession 25%! 

We'going to need a new midfield ASAP. And I thought Jones's going to play possession based attacking football. Yeah...he did have 3 days to train with the players but still. It was even worse than under SB. 

I think the biggest problem is our tactics. We played a flat back 5, flat 3 midfielders 1 striker and 1 with a free role up front. Ritchie dosent have the legs to operate as a wingback, manquillo is more of a right back. Krafth isnt a central defender, Lascelles has said he preffers playing with 2 cb. Fraser isnt a hard worker nor a central midfielder, so that leaves us with longstaff and hayden in central midfield without anyone on the sides. We need a manager which can play to our strengths, and by our squad that isnt many. IMO our main focus for the transfer window should be: goalkeeper, central defender, deffensive midfielder. Summer transfer maybe change most of our team...

2 minutes ago, Begbie said:

I think the biggest problem is our tactics. We played a flat back 5, flat 3 midfielders 1 striker and 1 with a free role up front. Ritchie dosent have the legs to operate as a wingback, manquillo is more of a right back. Krafth isnt a central defender, Lascelles has said he preffers playing with 2 cb. Fraser isnt a hard worker nor a central midfielder, so that leaves us with longstaff and hayden in central midfield without anyone on the sides. We need a manager which can play to our strengths, and by our squad that isnt many. IMO our main focus for the transfer window should be: goalkeeper, central defender, deffensive midfielder. Summer transfer maybe change most of our team...

Get Dubravka in and that is solved as he is more than capable for the team in it's current position and brings organisation. I would argue we also need a creative midfielder and a striker (as Wilson will probably not play all season as his injury record indicates). 

Guest neesy111
Just now, et tu brute said:

Get Dubravka in and that is solved as he is more than capable for the team in it's current position and brings organisation. I would argue we also need a creative midfielder and a striker (as Wilson will probably not play all season as his injury record indicates). 

We definitely need Dubs back, darlow horrified me yesterday.

13 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I agree on Dubravka, its to bad he is injured to much.. i also agree we need a creative midfielder, but think goalie, cb, and dmc is more important to keep us in the league. I do think its going to be a hard transfer window, some clubs wont do business with us, and others will ask to high prices from us. But asap we need a manager, and a coaching Staff. Also add a friend, shrink, coach or whatever for ASM.

25% possession and we played way too deep. Chelsea and Brighton next then the international break. It's important we have a new manager in either for or just after the Brighton game.

This is how I would line up lads.

Darlow

Fernandez Schar Clark

Manquillo Willock Hayden Almiron Lewis

ASM Wilson 

We need to play 3 at the back with the squad being as defensively poor as it is and under a good level manager they will be able to get the Balance right between defence and attack.

I feel like this is our strongest line up, would keep us more solid at the back and have a presence in the midfield. Lewis under a better level manager with good man management will be able to thrive and improve. We have Almiron driving from deep and have all our best players on the pitch at the same time.

Schar and Fernandez must have been fuming being on the bench behind Krafth on the weekend. Also in January I'd want to be replacing Lascelles, yes he is the captain but he isn't vocal at all and has played poorly recently.

We need reinforcements all over the pitch, crying out for a good full back, good centre half ( Tarkowski anyone? ) A ball winning midfielder, thought I do rate Hayden and we desperately need a striker, Wilson is too often missing and he's vital to our survival hopes.

1 hour ago, midds said:

I'm not even totally sure that the banner was a direct pop at Newcastle fans either. The main target of it was the PL for passing it and for the Saudi's for their horrific record on human rights. Both of which I would find it impossible to argue with tbh. The facts are that the Saudi's record of HR is abhorrent and criticising it is absolutely fair game imo, letting it slide and ignoring it isn't going to do anything to help the situation. 

I suppose the timing of it all could be questioned. Why are Palace fans suddenly concerned with HR abuses in Saudi Arabia? Where were the banners last month? The obvious answer is that Palace fans now have to compete with a club that's now part of their world via the PL, and they've got every right to voice their protest. Newcastle fans see the banner in the stadium and online, consider it an attack and the first, natural instinct is to defend the club as they would do, it's tribal, you attack us, we defend ourselves. Problem with that mentality is that is plays into the hands of the Saudis and in doing so you're already quite a few steps down the line of defending the indefensible. It's sportswashing, it's the reason they wanted a PL club in the first place. 

We're going to have to get used to this, we're also going to have to be better at responding to it too. 

I took it as a pop at us as well, block swinging a sword towards a magpie and ‘we’ve got our club back’

The more anti-Saudi flags/banners there are, the more a certain section will wear/continue to wear the stereotypical attire and wave the Saudi flag. The hatred will be embraced and it’ll become an act of defiance.

Its obviously not on the level of, but is similar to, some of our fans wearing dust masks when playing the Burra. It got the odd chuckle then their own fans started doing it.

2 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

The more anti-Saudi flags/banners there are, the more a certain section will wear/continue to wear the stereotypical attire and wave the Saudi flag. The hatred will be embraced and it’ll become an act of defiance.

Its obviously not on the level of, but is similar to, some of our fans wearing dust masks when playing the Burra. It got the odd chuckle then their own fans started doing it.

You could be right. I guess it depends upon which direction the NUFC vs the world campaign takes.