The old days

Rich

Been a few cracking discussions about the good and bad old days of NUFC and football in general lately, but unfortunately they’ve been sidetracking other threads.

Thought it might be time to make a new thread for all of our reminiscing needs.

First topic of interest: was Asprilla to blame for us throwing away the title in 95/96? Some say no, some say yes.

20 minutes ago, Rich said:

Been a few cracking discussions about the good and bad old days of NUFC and football in general lately, but unfortunately they’ve been sidetracking other threads.

First topic of interest: was Asprilla to blame for us throwing away the title in 95/96? Some say no, some say yes.

Not worthy of a new thread IMO…

Let discourse take its course, on topic or not, that’s the special thing about debate, conversation and this place especially. 

Edited by HTT II

17 minutes ago, Rich said:

Rewatch that season/and or highlights and indeed Tino’s time here, he was as hard working as any and his form when he joined was better than say Sir Les, he would draw players one and two at a time to try and nullify him and make space for others, poor form, burn out, lack of leaders, Man Utd’s form and other factors contributed to us not winning the title. Who knows without Batty and Tino we may have tailed off far earlier…

Just now, Ben said:

No, but if the money was spent on Des Walker I don't think the title would be lost, so yes.

KK wanted Flowers, Hendry and Batty originally, but then we also wanted Baggio, Weah and pretty much anyone good at the time whether realistic or not so you could argue who could have proved the defining difference or not with any if them. We did lack leaders that season, again they were all too nice and in KK, they drew so much just from him and not within themselves to just get us over the line. When KK ‘lost’ it in that infamous post match interview, I think that kind of reflected how things were unraveling in the dressing room and peoples heads.

7 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Let discourse take its course, on topic or not, that’s the special thing about debate, conversation and this place especially. 

Nah. It’s a piss take when you’re expecting to see news about a hot topic and instead have to wade through dozens of irrelevant posts.

9 minutes ago, HTT II said:

You’ve already posted on this thread about 5 times man [emoji38]

Clearly worthy of a thread 

Just now, TheGuv said:

I’m replying to stuff, in the same way I would in any other thread…

8 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Btw there is a debate about how good or not Overmars was in the corporate & management hierarchy thread, do we create separate threads for that too?

38 minutes ago, Rich said:

No, he wasn’t. That is a myth like our defence was shit.

Personally I don’t think Keegan had the mental toughness, if anything affected the run in it was his rant on sky 

Asprilla - no absoluitely not for me. Just did an article on the Mag that mentioned this yesterday actually.

Man of the match against West Ham (goal and two beautiful assists), goal and assist at Liverpool, superb assist v Spurs, goal and beautiful assist at Man City, wins the game for us at Boro. Not bad for 3months work.

The gap was 1pt after we battered Man United - this was Tino's first home game so he can't have been responsible for the 12pt lead falling (especially considering he got us 4points at Boro and Man City).

Hate to say it but - Ferdinand, Ginola and Lee all massively went off the boil. Whilst Gillespie's injury was cited at the time imbalancing the side.

Edited by Wolfcastle

5 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

No, he wasn’t. That is a myth like our defence was shit.

Personally I don’t think Keegan had the mental toughness, if anything affected the run in it was his rant on sky 

That was two games from the end when we were already behind, so it wasn't that.

19 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Btw there is a debate about how good or not Overmars was in the corporate & management hierarchy thread, do we create separate threads for that too?

Was only winding you up...

Just now, Thomson Mouse said:

That’s a fair point, but I still don’t think he had the mental toughness.

Draw the Man Utd game at home and I think we’d have sneaked it. Losing that probably turned the momentum and we lost our heads. 

1 minute ago, TheGuv said:

Draw the Man Utd game at home and I think we’d have sneaked it. Losing that probably turned the momentum and we lost our heads. 

Yeah I was just thinking about the Man Utd game at home. 

Edited by Thomson Mouse

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

That was the other reason for this thread being created tbh. :lol:

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

David Seaman used to have the longest throw in the Premier League. 

Schemichel could throw it to Yorke and Ian Walker could get it to Edinburgh. 

But Seaman could throw it Overmars.