Newcastle United 0 - 3 Chelsea (30/10/21)

Disco

Guest reefatoon

Will snap their hands off for this result at the final whistle. 18% possession is a worry though. We need to try and get hold of the ball for a bit or it will just be matter of time before they score.

11 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Never heard of game management? We play all our best players and what, take the lead in the first 20 mins? and that's game over, is it? They'd hammer us 7-1. If we can improve on last game, and keep these goalless until the 65th minute, who knows?

You’re absolutely right, leaving your best players on the bench is often the winning formula. Football management 101.

If it was about throwing your best players on to try and win the game in the last 20 minutes, Wilson and ASM wouldn’t have started the game

Edited by Holmesy

Just now, Chris_R said:

Speaking personally, I'm absolutely NOT expecting "all out attack".

I'm expecting us to press higher up the pitch, have our best players on the park and offer a threat when we have the ball. That's very different to "all out attack".

Let’s just wait and see what happens if we’re still 0-0 in the last 20 or so

Just now, Chris_R said:

I'm expecting us to press higher up the pitch, have our best players on the park and offer a threat when we have the ball. That's very different to "all out attack".

No, there's only two options.  Balls out 2-3-5 Ardiles style or camp in your own half hoofing it away Bruceball.

Just now, Chris_R said:

Well the players on the pitch are getting a result, despite not taking your selection or tactical advice.

What more do you want? Did you expect a win today? 

A reminder we’ve not won a game all season, the current caretaker has had 8 days with the players and we’re playing the team top of the league who won their last game 7-0. 

Perfectly reasonable first half. Given that many expectations were influenced by Chelsea's 7-0 defeat of Norwich last week, I don't see how anybody can be disappointed with the overall performance. Little improvements in the second half and we might win this.

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Well the players on the pitch are getting a result, despite not taking your selection or tactical advice.

What more do you want? Did you expect a win today? 

A reminder we’ve not won a game all season, the current caretaker has had 8 days with the players and we’re playing the team top of the league who won their last game 7-0. 

They're good so we shouldn't aim to string more than two passes together?

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

Perfectly reasonable first half. Given that many expectations were influenced by Chelsea's 7-0 defeat of Norwich last week, I don't see how anybody can be disappointed with the overall performance. Little improvements in the second half and we might win this.

Can I have some of what your smoking please 

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

Absolutely. We haven't won a game all season and people are moaning when 0-0 against a title contender :lol:

Just now, loki679 said:

They're good so we shouldn't aim to string more than two passes together?

Again, you’re confusing the tactical plan vs poor execution by the players.

Jones’ plan isn’t to not string to passes together, but he’s working with players with no confidence who have been Bruce’d for the last two and a half years.

Problem is we have no midfield as such. The ball just goes from defence to the front line then back again. We get away with this sometimes by Almiron picking the ball up deep and carrying it forward, we don't pass our way forward

Just now, nufcnick said:

Can I have some of what your smoking please 

We have managed to cancel out a Chelsea that absolutly smashed last week - Our forward gameplan has been pretty pish but faulting that we have managed to cancel out a significantly better team the first 45 is weird.

Just now, Klaus said:

Absolutely. We haven't won a game all season and people are moaning when 0-0 against a title contender :lol:

What you moaning about, man?  He got you fifth!

What you moaning about, man?  He got you the same points as Rafa!

1 minute ago, worthy said:

We have managed to cancel out a Chelsea that absolutly smashed last week - Our forward gameplan has been pretty pish but faulting that we have managed to cancel out a significantly better team the first 45 is weird.

If you think we can hold out like that for 90 mins your deluded, we will concede within 10 mins of the restart 

Reasonably decent first half IMO. We've been pretty organised defensively, but obviously have no fret whatsoever at the other end of the pitch.

If we can hang on for a point it would be a fantastic result, but I suspect Chelsea will find a way through.