Brighton & Hove Albion vs. Newcastle United: 06/11/21 @ 5.30pm (BT)

48 minutes ago, SAK said:

I’m going to be positive and say 1-1, parking the bus most of the game and hitting them on the break. Low possession stats for us.

This just reminded me of the AIDS game down at theirs last year

Oooooft.

Literally no idea why Fernandez isn't playing. Very rarely puts a foot wrong. Likewise Schar, who while maybe a little suspect defensively, is a leader for Switzerland.

Hayden and Lascelles have been my biggest disappointments and simply haven't stepped up to be leaders, likewise making stupid mistakes and decisions. You can say the same about Ritchie but he should have been gone 3 years ago so there is no surprise there. Much rather dummett or Lewis there.

We have to change something at the back. Hopefully almiron and willock back in the midfield too. 

With Jones in charge we will lose this game heavily, he's far to cautious  he will go there looking for a 0 0 or at best a 0 1 scrapped win, Brighton will score early and the plan will be out of the window.

Looking at the stats over the past few games we need a clean break, a new philosophy and a fresh start, I fear Jones is tarnished with the " don't lose" mentality.

Guest reefatoon

If we are still relying on Bruce’s band of merry muppets to try and motivate the players and get a result again then we are going to get beat with another gutless display. Hopefully this managerial process doesn’t take much longer, we don’t want to or can afford to forfeit any more games.

Edited by reefatoon

Would like to see a complete change in formation and just go for it although I can't see that happening. 4231 with Schar, Fernandez, Lewis or Dummer, Dubravka, Almiron and Willock in from start.

38 minutes ago, HWTL said:

Would like to see a complete change in formation and just go for it although I can't see that happening. 4231 with Schar, Fernandez, Lewis or Dummer, Dubravka, Almiron and Willock in from start.

I would like that as well but we'll play the same team, same system with the same ethos and get beat. 

The problem with playing against Brighton is that they’re so tactically fluid; ostensibly a high pressing, possession-based, long-passing team with emphasis on wide-play. It’s quite a lot to navigate :lol:. Potter has done such a fantastic job there, it’s nice to see him finally getting the plaudits his team’s play deserves.

Sadly, bad/ unimaginative coaches try to beat high-pressing teams with the long ball and then essentially having a foot race. While this can work, it tends to leave too many players forward making teams vulnerable to the high-press counter attack. If Jones has anything about him he should (IMO) go hard on counterattacking with emphasis on diagonal runs and field switches, keeping our midfielders very wide. Playing our current “system” will get us hammered, especially with the lack of technical ability across our backline (and no target man to ease the pressure off the press).

Need to poulate the midfield against this lot and hopefully restrict their space to pass and run.

I would go for a 4-5-1:

-----------------Dubs------------------

Manquillo---Fede----Lascelles-----Lewis

Murphy---Almiron--Hayden--Willock---Fraser

------------------Wilson------------------

ASM to come on after 65 mins and try and change game. Lewis and Fraser (speed) tagged with following Lamptey.

14 minutes ago, buzza said:

Need to poulate the midfield against this lot and hopefully restrict their space to pass and run.

I would go for a 4-5-1:

-----------------Dubs------------------

Manquillo---Fede----Lascelles-----Lewis

Murphy---Almiron--Hayden--Willock---Fraser

------------------Wilson------------------

ASM to come on after 65 mins and try and change game. Lewis and Fraser (speed) tagged with following Lamptey.

Agree with this. If we play the usual defend first policy, we are fucked.  

Have to me more progressive and attack minded with the players we have.  Arguably we are better at the top end of the pitch (when players are on form) so lets give it a go for fuck sake. Rather that and lose than sit back and lose anyway. 

Definately need to see the end of Ritchie and Kraft.  I would like to see Schar or Fede in the team as well.  We have a little more coming out of defense then. 

Guest reefatoon

Of course Fernandez has to start. He didn't really do anything wrong to be completely dropped (was the least problematic of all the centre backs playing). This whole shit about not having him on the bench because he can't bring him on if we are winning and can't bring him on if we are losing is the ramblings of a total fucking nutter. Just play your best defenders and we might defend better.

Going to the Ammex on Saturday night feels like we might as well be going to Anfield or the Etihad, fairly sad state of affairs.  Our recent record there on top of how much better they are and it feels like we have absolutely no chance.  Could get ugly. 

3-0 Brighton 

Seems certain Jones will be in charge again, which probably means the same awful team selection and a dour, futile performance.

But, seeing as we’re likely to get clobbered, I’m hopeful the likes of Lamptey and Mac Allister play so well they stir the interest of our minted owners :thup:

Who knows, maybe Potter will give such a tactical masterclass that PIF drive a dump truck full of cash to his house…

Edited by Raconteur