Newcastle United Women

toontownman

34 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

So St James not counted in the home ground classification 

Seems odd but that's what it looks like. Still great number all around. They sure are getting a ton of support.

• 4 weeks later...

Sizeable list. Best of luck to those departing. Likely not an easy undertaking for the manager and staff to cut that many loose.

I was Interested to see how they would evolve with the step up a league. 10 stronger additions could be a real game changer though if they recruit the right people. Exciting off season ahead for the lasses.

• 2 weeks later...

That is huge!!

For context there are probably around 3 or 4 teams (don't quote me on that) that are professional in the 2nd tier, and we're in the 3rd tier!!

Only issue is when clubs do this, they'll often pay a salary of less than 20k, so players who are earning more than that in their current jobs can't really take the hit, and also can't commit to training full time!

Still it's a huge step forward and we should be able to attract a lot of talent to drop down a league to come and play for us!

My sister is friends with Daisy Burt’s mam, and she was saying that Daisy Burt was one of the 1st players they put on a professional contract.

I got the impression that they were only handing out professional contracts to players who could make the step up, and when the club went up the leagues, the ones who were not good enough would be replaced by those who are, and on a full time contract.

3 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I’d expect a pretty significant overhaul of the squad off the back of this news.

They have let go of quite a few players already. They will need to bring quite a few to be ready for next season.

3 hours ago, Charlies said:

one of the lasses lives below me I couldn’t be more happier for her :aww:

Strange way to describe your girlfriend and TBF probably to much information.

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

They have let go of quite a few players already. They will need to bring quite a few to be ready for next season.

Wonder if they'll try and hoover up some of the players that have recently been released from WSL clubs, now we're able to offer full time contracts. Someone like Carla Humphrey's for instance who was a mainstay with Liverpool in the Championship but as soon as they got promoted became a bit part sub.

3 minutes ago, 54 said:

Wonder if they'll try and hoover up some of the players that have recently been released from WSL clubs, now we're able to offer full time contracts. Someone like Carla Humphrey's for instance who was a mainstay with Liverpool in the Championship but as soon as they got promoted became a bit part sub.

You've got to assume that outside the WSL we're going to be one of the most attractive options. Will be interesting to see how bold we are. Obviously there's no FFP in women's football but we've also committed to sustainable, steady progress in the men's game so will we look to do the same with NUW?

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

My sister is friends with Daisy Burt’s mam, and she was saying that Daisy Burt was one of the 1st players they put on a professional contract.

I got the impression that they were only handing out professional contracts to players who could make the step up, and when the club went up the leagues, the ones who were not good enough would be replaced by those who are, and on a full time contract.

Nah , that’s not true unfortunately.

They had 26 players last year 

10 released.

Left with 16 players now all being offered pro contracts (soon) not yet.

Newcastle will be looking for potentially 6/8 new players to sign before the season starts. (As they want a slightly smaller squad) 

Daisy hasn’t signed anything yet , no one has been offered anything yet. 

The info / deal to go professional was only agreed last night.

Exciting times 🙌🏽

1 hour ago, JonBez comesock said:

Nah , that’s not true unfortunately.

They had 26 players last year 

10 released.

Left with 16 players now all being offered pro contracts (soon) not yet.

Newcastle will be looking for potentially 6/8 new players to sign before the season starts. (As they want a slightly smaller squad) 

Daisy hasn’t signed anything yet , no one has been offered anything yet. 

The info / deal to go professional was only agreed last night.

Exciting times 🙌🏽

Fair enough, must have been wires crossed and they must have been on about rumours or something.

Anyway I wish them all the best of luck. I took my nieces the woman’s match the weekend before lockdown. I want them to grow up knowing that they can do what they want and gender doesn’t/shouldn’t play a part.

My sisters oldest now plays Rugby, and my sister used too when she was a teenager.

That's great. Imagine where they were a few years back too, couldn't have imagined this.

Second club in the city they've made professional in 2years, good going.

Some growth spurt all this.