Clark

What badge is best?  

296 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• 1969-1976 Coat of Arms
    • 1976-1983 Castle Keep
    • 1983-1988 Upturned ‘C’
    • 1988-2021 Present Badge

Wasn't there a competition of some description about 18 months ago who threw a few decent new ones up? 

I quite like the current one but it does look a bit dated now. If we're under new owners and looking ahead then an updated badge seems inevitable sooner or later. I like the red shield with the 3 turrets on it, a spin on that ticks the historical link but also drags it into the current times. The fact we've had 4 in the last 50 years suggests nothing is forever. 

1 hour ago, Conjo said:

Eh..? You've got huge oil service businesses that manufacture and ships subsea umbilicals, flexible pipes and a ton of other subsea structures and minor components/services to all major oil companies around the world. I'm sure there's a lot of other stuff that I am not aware of as well.

All still several miles away from the city itself, and none with any relevance to seahorses

Wore one of the Puma tops and some old Adidas NUFC shorts today for some exercise and another thing is the current badge just looks so much better when it's stitched like adidas did, than the shitty Puma patch. The gold especially hits much better.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

6 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Wore one of the Puma tops today and some old Adidas NUFC shorts today for some exercise and another thing is the current badge just looks so much better when it's stitched like adidas did, than the shitty Puma patch. The gold especially hits much better.

Thing of the past now unfortunately. We'd not get it with any kit manufacturers. 

9 hours ago, gjohnson said:

All still several miles away from the city itself, and none with any relevance to seahorses

Fuck off man. They are the city’s animal, Manchester has Bee’s and you don’t exactly see a nest on every tree do you?

The coastal areas are a part of Newcastle, despite it being under different authorities due to illogical government thinking a few decades ago. Whitley Bay etc would all be under Newcastle’s authority if it was any other city in the world.

52 minutes ago, Izakaya said:

Thing of the past now unfortunately. We'd not get it with any kit manufacturers. 

Yeah, it’s the same with the sponsors logo as well. Northern Rock was the last felt sponsor we had and we are not going back those days, instead we have plastic logos which mean you can’t put your shirt in the dryer. I think even the Premier League badge these days is now just a plastic iron on.

Myself personally I would be indifferent to the logo being changed, so long as the new one was a quality design. I guess the difference between you all and me is that I missed out on the Keegan years and the SBR years with the current badge is tainted by 14 years of Ashley.

Ultimately the club will change the badge because they will want a simplified and more recognisability/identifiable brand. On top of this, it is quite possible that Ashley has some rights or royalties due to him by using our current and past badges. The new owners will want something that they can make money off and offer to partners without going through the complexities of existing or previous deals.

I know we've covered it but this graphic puts it into perspective; blatantly would've been changed by now were it not for Ashleyism. Should probably prepare your goodbyes, people. 

Would love to see that graphic across the 92, like. 

Probably some bias here, but I think we've had the best 'badge' in the league for years. It looks elite. In the last 14 years I've felt that we've been undeserving of such a beautiful and royal-esque crest for our club. To be in the position now to affect our fortunes so much than we can match the quality of the crest, it feels silly to change it.

Edited by cookidge

It comes to something when even TalkSport have ranked our badge as the best in the Premier League :lol:

Personally I think the current one is our best one and should not be changed.
As has been said it looks the part - elite. It stands out.

19 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Why would it 'blatantly' though? :lol: 'We should change it because others have'. Fuck the others. And changing our crest.

Cos we're the odd one out, as was always the case in the Ashley years when it came to matters of growth. Everyone else has done it as clearly there are sensible commercial reasons for doing so. 

Again, it wouldn't be my preference, I'd keep the current one forever as it means so much. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Cos we're the odd one out, as was always the case in the Ashley years when it came to matters of growth. Everyone else has done it as clearly there are sensible commercial reasons for doing so. 

Again, it wouldn't be my preference, I'd keep the current one forever as it means so much. 

The only change I'd remotely contemplate is a dumbing down of the colours to the scheme of the 125 Years crest from 17-18. The commercial argument doesn't wash to me, it'd pennies. A bit like ticket pricing. Even still, badges on modern football kits across the globe have those iron on sticker things, it wouldn't save much commercially at all.

I was thinking I didn't remember the ManU badge changing in the late 90s. I looked and it was a tiny tweak of the 93 one, which itself is a tiny tweak of the 1973 one. I could deal with that kind of thing. Leicester one is also a basically imperceptible tweak from 1992 version. Chelsea's was probably an improvement I think. The Norwich one is a modernizing tweak, not a massive deal, but I think it looks a bit worse - the lion's better but the bird has lost character.

I reckon us and ManU have the best badges and they're both older. 

Edited by Inferior Acuña

I find it a bit strange how the modern approach is to dumb down a badge in order to make it easier for digital reproduction or whatever horseshit marketing term there is when surely it's never been easier to render a more complex image? With all the technology we have now when on some massive TV you can see the hairs on the arse of a fly from the other side of the room but drawing a couple of seahorses and a stripy shield is a step too far? I could understand if it was the Victorian times when they'd be individually stitched by hand but not now when they're directly printed onto shirts and we've all got retina destroying displays on our phones. 

We should keep our badge because it's mint. Worst case scenario - evolution not revolution.