If you could add 3 past-NUFC players to the current team...

Big River

29 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Bellamy

Robert

Shearer

Adding Bellamy and Robert to the team in 2001 transformed us immediately

Good call...the most transformative additions i've ever seen.....took a mid-table team to championship challengers in a season

Just now, gjohnson said:

Good call...the most transformative additions i've ever seen.....took a mid-table team to championship challengers in a season

To think...we could have easily ended up with Zenden and Jeffers instead!

Kieron Dyer - Ability to dribble effectively from midfield puts him miles ahead of our centre mids. Can play behind a striker too, would provide that perfect link for midfield and attack.

Woodgate - Stability in defence.

Shearer - Hands felt tied to choose a striker with Wilson being the only one we have that's any good. Worked the flanks, strong up front and can score obviously.

Agree that Shearer is an obvious one. Too obvious for the game so will avoid him just for the hell of it. 

Thinking about our biggest weaknesses currently, and about who might get the best out of our existing better players: 

Given. Cos I don't think you can underestimate the importance of a brilliant goalkeeper who is as close to a guarantee of 38 games as you can get. 

Enrique. The bloke was turning into an exceptional full-back with a bit of everything. Brilliant at the back and a huge threat going forward. Our options in this position are absolute garbage currently so the upgrade here would be incredible. We've got plenty of good centre-backs already, so Woodgate misses out for that reason, and Manquillo is canny enough on the right. It's on the left where we're sorely lacking and Jose's the best in my lifetime. 

Tiote. Bit controversial maybe because Speed and Lee were both fabulous centre-mids, whilst Cabaye was obviously a goal threat too. But goals from midfield needn't be something that we lack. What we really need is some proper steel in the middle at the moment - A, to help the defense and B, to get us into possession for more than about two minutes every game. If we're talking peak-every-week, I think that Tiote gets into just about any team in that destroyer role. He was dynamite on his day cos he could play, too, and also volley in goals from 30 yards. Mind you, if Batty was a better player, I wouldn't know... 

Robert and Nobby are my nearly men here; one or the other (probably the former) to complement ASM on the opposite flank would be pretty tasty. 

23 minutes ago, South-Cheshire-Toon said:

Should have been 4 people, and state - GK, D, M, A. 1 of each.

And this way I would add Colo to the list above.

So - Given, Colo, Cabaye, Shearer.

Aye. Colo or Woodgate but think prime Colo was oustanding. And a captain too.

Rob Lee 
Gary Speed 
Peter Beardsley - Completely overkill but would be hilarious to watch him and ASM together. 

Again prime Shearer was unreal, and we probably need defenders, but with Lee and Speed in the middle you actually have football skill and brains, stick Pedro Wilson ASM up top and you're going to have a a show. 

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Mind you Papiss Cisse and Mo Diame always skew these 'peak' conversations, on account of their Ibrahimovicing/Makeleleing in 11/12 and 17/18 respectively. 

Still can't believe that run of form Diame had. Absolutely mental [emoji38]