Newcastle United 3 - 3 Brentford (20/11/2021)

Yorkie

There's so many points to play for. I'm still confident we can turn this around. Especially with January investment.

Shame about today - but very promising in many ways. 

The shouts of "we're down" seem very OTT. 

6 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Joelinton wasn't a brain fart. His leg literally gave in. Yes he should have shot first time, but if his leg doesn't give in, he's just successfully dribbled the Brentford defender on his ass with a clear shot on goal.

His leg gave way, but you're also indicating he should have shot first time? Which is it....

Ok composure, that's it.  

Bottom line, I was replying to Happinesstan, and he was indicating the blame lied with one person? I felt there were a number of scenarios what lead to us not quite getting 3pts.

In truth if were all honest, defensively we were very poor.

The attacking was better.

That was the most exhilarated I've been by a match since even before Rafa. Feels great and frustrating to be so invested again given we didn't win. But this team will be on the up and I'm sure we will grab some unexpected points along the way. I believe we are staying UP!

Just now, pedro111 said:

That was the most exhilarated I've been by a match since even before Rafa. Feels great and frustrating to be so invested again given we didn't win. But this team will be on the up and I'm sure we will grab some unexpected points along the way. I believe we are staying UP!

:cool:

I agree

5 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Yes but without Darlow's fuck ups it doesn't matter.

You cant pin that result on Darlow. He admittedly wasn't great, I agree. I think we could all see that.

But other players, other errors equally played a part in us not getting it right at both ends.

6 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Understand what your saying.

But A decade?  Give over.

With the players available, with the run we’re on? I’d say it’s up there.

It might not be the greatest we’ve had in a decade but within 2 weeks of Howe we’re playing like that? Yep, I think we need to be optimistic, otherwise what’s the point - let’s just accept relegation now. Plenty of others on here have [emoji38]

2 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

His leg gave way, but you're also indicating he should have shot first time? Which is it....

Ok composure, that's it.  

Bottom line, I was replying to Happinesstan, and he was indicating the blame lied with one person? I felt there were a number of scenarios what lead to us not quite getting 3pts.

In truth if were all honest, defensively we were very poor.

The attacking was better.

Point I am trying to make is that it was unlucky as he would have set himself up for a better chance to score than shooting first time if his leg hadn't given in. So it wasn't a "brainfart" as you say. It was a calculated decision.

I don't think you'll find anyone saying we were average or good defensively today, but main blame lies with the keeper.

This is Newcastle we we’re never going to get 9 points from the 3 home games. If we can get 7 it will be a good return and keep us right in the mix.

They’ll have learned a lot more about our weaknesses after today, plenty of plus points to build on though.

I think Joelinton's miss was down to fitness still not being up to scratch (if you're knackered after a sprint it affects your composure too) and that lingering lack of confidence. In a month's time he finishes that off imo. Note how Maxi spent the entire rest of the game limping after that move too. The players' fitness is still miles off. 

I don't know if we will stay up but frankly it's secondary to having a functional club again.

I absolute adored Eddie Ball today. We were a Joelinton slip away from a famous 4-3 win. Defence was shite but hey ho.

Ratings:

Darlow 4 Get in the bin.

Schar 6 Good on the ball but leggy towards the end.

Lascelles 5 Scored but marshalled a back line that was shocking

Clark 5 Just not up to this level or this style frankly

Murphy 6 Slow decision making but covered loads of ground. Would prefer manquillo

Willock 6 I don't think he is built for passing and moving, was off the pace

Shelvey 8 Was actually class. Grafted hard. Stayed professional and was pulling strings.

Ritchie 7 Much better, helped by being able to get into crossing positions rather than sitting in defence

ASM 8 Usual

Wilson 7 Worked hard.

Joelinton 8 Was class, needs new boots.

3 minutes ago, hakka said:

There's so many points to play for. I'm still confident we can turn this around. Especially with January investment.

Shame about today - but very promising in many ways. 

The shouts of "we're down" seem very OTT. 

It's a tad bit irritating how a fair few choose to piss and moan about everything. I am sure that they call themselves realists, and telling it like they see it, as if that justifies being a miserable little shit. Whether you are right or not in the end, they are all making this site nearly unreadable at times.

It's going to be a hell of a task, but there are still 78 points to play for. To state the obvious, none of us know the outcome, so I would rather get some joy out of this and stay cautiously optimistic.

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

Point I am trying to make is that it was unlucky as he would have set himself up for a better chance to score than shooting first time if his leg hadn't given in. So it wasn't a "brainfart" as you say. It was a calculated decision.

I don't think you'll find anyone saying we were average or good defensively today, but main blame lies with the keeper.

I'll bet you now, Shearer doesn't see that chance for Joelinton like you're saying later on motd. He'll likely say he needs to be burying it, or he didn't need the touch.

ASM is putting him through, Joelinton knows what's happening because he made the run, he just got it wrong, ie: as you say 'harshly' calling it a Brainfart, he was good though especially in the first half.

I'm still not convinced 3pts was lost because of Darlow, but I agree he was poor, and does need dropping.

This current side would almost certainly be relegated, even with Dubravka back.  Luckily this side won't be playing all season, they've just got to get us as close as possible to that 38 point total from now till January.  If we can average a point per game from the next 9, that leads into the January break where we need to get some quality players in.  That improved side would then have 51 more points to play for and need 23 points to get to 38, which is mid table form.  Its going to be difficult, but I don't agree its over at this point.

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

We were dangerous going forward today. Definite hints of a cohesive unit that I never thought we'd see with these players. 

I agree. As bad as Darlow looked today how about that quick distribution down the left that led to a great goal by ASM? They had some real chances several times. 

11 minutes ago, joeyt said:

And how come Jansson didn't have to go off when he received treatment? Have they changed that rule

Apparently aye.

If the opposing player is booked for a foul then they don't have to go off.

13 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Thought the ref was shite. How were there only 4 mins added on at the end?

And how come Jansson didn't have to go off when he received treatment? Have they changed that rule

If its a result of a foul and the other player is booked they don't need to go off (I think)