Arsenal 2 - 0 Newcastle United (27/11/2021)

They were actually the better side against Liverpool for the first 20 minutes maybe and played some lovely football.

As soon as they went a goal down it all went wrong for them though.

We can’t sit back against these but we can’t overcommit either. Their left back might still be suffering ptsd after Salah last week, maybe ASM can keep that going another week.

2 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

They were actually the better side against Liverpool for the first 20 minutes maybe and played some lovely football.

As soon as they went a goal down it all went wrong for them though.

We can’t sit back against these but we can’t overcommit either. Their left back might still be suffering ptsd after Salah last week, maybe ASM can keep that going another week.

Tierney is fully fit so no chance he won’t be starting after last week.

Reckon it'll be:

Dubravka

Manquillo Schar Lascelles Fernandez Ritchie

Joelinton Shelvey Willock Saint-Maximin

Wilson

SUBS: Darlow, Clark, Murphy, Lewis, Hayden, Longstaff, Fraser, Almiron, Gayle.

Head says narrow loss, heart says narrow win. Will bet on a goal-laden draw :lol:

If I was picking it, I'd go:

Dubravka

Manquillo Schar Fernandez Lewis

Joelinton Shelvey Willock Saint-Maximin

Almiron

Wilson

The beauty of this is that you could have Almiron dropping in/rotating with ASM to better protect Lewis down the left at times, and Wilson doing the same with Joelinton (like they were against Brentford) to rotate being the first presser.

I'm going to predict that Arsenal take us lightly, we jump out to a 2-0 lead, they get one back just before the break. 2nd half is squeaky bum time until Wilson get's our 3rd, Arsenal add another late on and our entire support is on cardiac watch until the whistle is blown in the 94th min. Win.

Magpies @ Gunners - PL years:

2020/21: Lost 0-3
2020/21: Lost 0-2 (FAC)
2019/20: Lost 0-4
2018/19: Lost 0-2
2017/18: Lost 0-1
2015/16: Lost 0-1
2014/15: Lost 1-4 Perez
2013/14: Lost 0-3
2012/13: Lost 3-7 Ba 2, Marveaux
2011/12: Lost 1-2 Ben Arfa
2010/11: Won 1-0 Carroll
2008/09: Lost 0-3
2007/08: Lost 0-3
2007/08: Lost 0-3 (FAC)
2007/08: Lost 0-2 (LC)
2006/07: Drew 1-1 Dyer
2005/06: Lost 0-2
2004/05: Lost 0-1
2003/04: Lost 2-3 Robert, Bernard
2002/03: Lost 0-1

:anguish: :lol:

Think we'll play different to the openess against Brentford, we went for that but don't know how to call it either way. A point being good this week could work in our favour as opposed to against us last week. Can't see a win but can't see what kind of loss or draw it will be.

Fkn Norwich thougjh. I'm excited/dreading it.

7 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Interesting to see the amount that would have Willock in their lineups for Saturday, I thought he was very poor against Brentford, looks totally unsuited to being a CM.

Spot on we need protection in front of the cb’s on Saturday. He wouldn’t be anywhere near my starting 11 this weekend, has to be Hayden or Longstaff in alongside Shelvey if we’re playing with 2 in cm.

8 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Interesting to see the amount that would have Willock in their lineups for Saturday, I thought he was very poor against Brentford, looks totally unsuited to being a CM.

I think it's more to do with options.

Hayden hasn't the engine for Eddieball, Longstaff is making far too many misplaced passes and then there is Jeff Hendrick...

At least with Willock we know he offers a threat, has a good engine and has room to improve.

1 hour ago, STM said:

I think it's more to do with options.

Hayden hasn't the engine for Eddieball, Longstaff is making far too many misplaced passes and then there is Jeff Hendrick...

At least with Willock we know he offers a threat, has a good engine and has room to improve.

I still don’t think he had this nightmare game like people are making out. Especially considering he has barely been used this season, didn’t have a proper pre-season and was struggling with injury for a good few weeks. 

He was too weak on the ball and in the tackle at times. Plus playing next to Shelvey in a two left us far too open. But he’s the only centre mid we have that has the pace and fitness to actually get from box to box and carry a goal threat. He makes quality driving runs on and off the ball. It’s just whether or not the other side of his game can be brought up to scratch. 

2 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

I still don’t think he had this nightmare game like people are making out. Especially considering he has barely been used this season, didn’t have a proper pre-season and was struggling with injury for a good few weeks. 

He was too weak on the ball and in the tackle at times. Plus playing next to Shelvey in a two left us far too open. But he’s the only centre mid we have that has the pace and fitness to actually get from box to box and carry a goal threat. He makes quality driving runs on and off the ball. It’s just whether or not the other side of his game can be brought up to scratch. 

I thought he did alright and made a lot of effective forward runs as well as the defensive recovery runs you’d expect from a player with a good engine. I think he needs to play in a three with Hayden sitting and Shelvey alongside him. The only issue with that is I think we need Almiron in the side for his work rate and that means Joelinton drops and we lose his physical presence 

I'm not sure 3 CB is the way to go against Arsenal. Their two wide players, Saka &SR, would tie back our wing backs to defence. That leaves 3 CB to handle Auba and gifts the midfield to Arsenal. 

Would rather jetison Clark and play Hayden.

A back four means Manqullo and possibly Lewis should be start. Keeper change is a given. Sadly not Shay!

Take your pick Willock or Almiron.