Arsenal 2 - 0 Newcastle United (27/11/2021)

1 hour ago, midds said:

If we're as open as we were against Brentford then we're in for a long afternoon. Arsenal aren't close to what they once were but they can still knock it about and create massive problems. Pressing is great but there needs to be a balance tomorrow, too many players caught upfield and they'll cut us to ribbons. A result is more than possible but we're not going to get it by opening it up and trying to match them in a very end-to-end game of football, because if we try and do that then we'll lose comfortably imo. 

I’m thinking somewhere inbetween last week’s Sega Mega Drive FIFA 96 4-2-4 formation and Bruce/Jones’ sit everyone deep, treat the ball like a live grenade and never close down the opposition, could work. 

Balance. 

1 hour ago, midds said:

If we're as open as we were against Brentford then we're in for a long afternoon. Arsenal aren't close to what they once were but they can still knock it about and create massive problems. Pressing is great but there needs to be a balance tomorrow, too many players caught upfield and they'll cut us to ribbons. A result is more than possible but we're not going to get it by opening it up and trying to match them in a very end-to-end game of football, because if we try and do that then we'll lose comfortably imo. 

Good test for the new managerial team this, If we do just play open and hoy men forward recklessly I’ll be disappointed.

Really hoping to see us organised at the back, but playing with good energy allowing us to break in numbers and get men in the box. 

3 hours ago, RodneyCisse said:

When did we last score against these?

Perez in 2013 or 14 according to the radio.

I don't expect too many changes tomorrow, Dubravka back in and that's probably it but having had Miggy and Lewis for a week extra options to change things from the bench.

The likely outcome is a loss with us scoring at least one. So 3-1 or 3-2 to Arse. 

If we are thinking of past games though, I would love to see a repeat of the December 2001 result with us winning 3-1. Seems unlikely as we don’t have Shearer to knock in a pen and Robert scoring the third on a breakaway. Also IIRC Kanu missed a couple of sitters so the shoreline flattered us in the first half. 

7 hours ago, McDog said:

My Newcastle Merch has arrived just now from across the pond. Clock, Scarf and a beer tankard which I just filled with IPA. Better not have too many as matchday starts at 6:30am here.

Where did you order from? Nufc.co.uk?

Interesting game ahead. They won't know what to expect. There is only one reference point on our graph and that was after international duty with our manager in isolation in a hotel.

On Understat, Arsenal are only twelfth on expected points. They are beating expected goals, as you'd expect great finishers like Aubameyang to do so, but are smashing expected goals against, second only to Mendy at Chelsea. Darlow is second only to the Palace keeper in letting in more than expected goals. Dubs usually lets in fewer, and did so massively in 19/20. In the more objective stats over on WhoScored, Arsenal have only averaged 46% possession, i.e., below Brentford, so you can forget about Wenger and ballhogging Arsenal teams of old passing rings round the opposition. They've only scored five times from open play, half as many as us (!!) who sit bottom of the only table that matters. They have scored six goals from set pieces, so that's the loudest alarm bell. Since we now have a management team who actually work and not some cabbage prick phoning it in until his big payday, we can at least know the lads will have worked on counteracting it.

They have better players in what should be a settled system and should beat us, but I'm looking forward to seeing how things pan out and quietly optimistic. Praying that Dubs get the nod this time.