Arsenal 2 - 0 Newcastle United (27/11/2021)

We kept them mostly at arm's length, but were lucky to get away with the Auba miss. They were lucky in turn to not concede a penalty from the corner.

I didn't expect us to have as little possession, or to see ASM running in blind alleys again as in Bruceball. Callum Wilson looks like he has them worried, but he's not getting the ball and the ref's giving him nowt when they foul him. There is definitely potential there though.

Give it 10 or so and then see if Miggy can inject some energy.

38 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

No we haven’t

Aye we have, no possession, being outrun in midfield again and sitting deep. No out ball either. It’s poor, very poor.

Edited by HTT II

Just now, TRon said:

I thought the directive now was that if it hits the hand and diverts the ball - which it did - it has to be given. 

No, rules were made more lenient after the farce start to last season that included our pen at Spurs.

1 minute ago, Pata said:

Either pen would have been extremely soft and correct non-decisions IMO. Schär possible if it happened near the ball.

Soft pens are still pens as far as I understand the rules. Where is there room with VAR for deciding 'that's a bit soft, let's just leave it'?

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Soft pens are still pens as far as I understand the rules. Where is there room with VAR for deciding 'that's a bit soft, let's just leave it'?

Alright, they shouldn’t have been pens.

Just now, gazza ladra said:

Will need Almirion's engine

Needed it more in the first half tbh. He's not going to offer goal threat in the second half, whereas Fraser does when he comes on as a sub, especially when the game opens up. 

I never buy the whole expectations thing about Newcastle fans but then I do also wonder what some people expect from Arsenal away with the players we have, like. Especially considering it's 0-0, have hit the bar, could have arguably had a pen, and the ref's been shit. We're not playing like we did against Brentford of course, but there's a time and a place.

Edited by kisearch

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

I thought the directive now was that if it hits the hand and diverts the ball - which it did - it has to be given. 

Ah if the rules have changed then fair enough. I've oaid next to no attention to football for like 2 year [emoji38]

Edited by Hanshithispantz

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

That’s exactly what they have been doing this season and it’s 100% the correct way. Been so much better than the previous two seasons when VAR was giving penalties for every slightest contact that were never worth 0.8xG.

Edited by Pata

2 minutes ago, kisearch said:

I never buy the whole expectations thing about Newcastle fans but then I do also wonder what some people expect from Arsenal away with the players we have, like. Especially considering it's 0-0, have hit the bar, could have arguably had a pen, and the ref's been shit. We're not playing like we did against Brentford of course, but there's a time and a place.

We have been fine. Would have expected a touch more composure in possession but that's it really.