Arsenal 2 - 0 Newcastle United (27/11/2021)

5 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I don’t care, we have been shit, are shit, and deserve this. Fucking abysmal performance again!

Quite agree. The midfield just doesn't function at all, we're far too easily cut open and ASM aside there's no directness whatsoever. And that's barely touching on the defence.

Need some drastic, drastic changes because in terms of the overall fragility and game mangement this is as bad an NUFC side as I've seen. 

Poor performance but an expected result. Would have liked to have seen us have more of a crack at it, we were positive against Brenford but went right back into our shells today. We can't defend when we try to, so I'd rather see us just go gung ho in games like this where nothing is expected anyway. 

Hopefully Howe learns from his team selection mistakes quickly, Ritchie is a liability, the midfield pairing of Shelvey and Willock just offers nothing, and Fraser hasn't shown anything to say he should be a starter, one assist against Brentford doesn't change that. 

Lascelles should be nowhere near the team either and is only playing because he's captain. In terms of ability and mobility he's one of the worst defenders in the division and his lack of pace pulls the entire team back 10 yards to compensate. 

Just now, Ronaldo said:

Quite agree. The midfield just doesn't function at all, we're far too easily cut open and ASM aside there's no directness whatsoever. And that's barely touching on the defence.

Need some drastic, drastic changes because in terms of the overall fragility and game mangement this is as bad an NUFC side as I've seen. 

So what are those drastic, drastic changes he could make right now that would get us winning?

12 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Get a grip man.

I mean, if you expected us to go to Arsenal and win, then fair enough.  

Didn't expect us to win but I'm sure most people were hoping to see some signs of progress. There weren't any. I think we'll draw with Norwich and lose to Burnley.

Just now, r0cafella said:

The thing that I don’t quite understand is if we were setting out to be defensive why select that team

Could it possibly be a matter of the team not being used to the new managers system yet, and falling back to default when under adversity? Brentford match was a good indication of how Howe wants us to play, but they are also a team that allows the opposition to play their game as opposed to Arsenal who is more used to dictating the game.

12 minutes ago, Conjo said:

If Ashley was still here together with Bruce I'd say you have a good point.

We looked like winning against Brentford. We got a new competent manager in. We can buy players in January no other team in a relegation fight has ever had the privledge of getting in before. I'm not concerned yet. Especially not a because of a 2-0 loss away to an in form Arsenal.

Against Brentford we looked like we couldn't defend, still the same today.

Just now, Conjo said:

Could it possibly be a matter of the team not being used to the new managers system yet, and falling back to default when under adversity? Brentford match was a good indication of how Howe wants us to play, but they are also a team that allows the opposition to play their game as opposed to Arsenal who is more used to dictating the game.

I think it’s a good point but we were super defensive from the first minute.

i think the plan was to keep it tight until half time at least. 

2 minutes ago, Conjo said:

and dictate they did.

Obviously we deserved to lose. Arsenal simply had better players.

For me, there were some signs of hope. We looked better in possession - we tried to pass the ball out from the back on occasion, and there wasn't so much panicky hoofing the ball away the minute we were under the least bit of pressure. 

We also looked a bit more decisive and relaxed. The mindset looked better. We need a win, and I thought we at least looked capable of winning a game. 

Given the squad, we're not going to get much before January, but at least the foundations of a better performance were being laid.

6 minutes ago, HTT II said:

A performance, not a win, just something, this is a nothing performance again, again and again and again. 

If you think back to when Keegan took over from Allardyce, we went 8 games without a win, and the performances were awful. But once we got a win things went from strength to strength. It's incredibly hard to transform a team that has been playing defensively for 5 years into an attacking one. Even more so when you are adrift at the bottom by 7 points. Anyone expecting miracles is in for disappointment. I think we'll turn things round, but it will take time, and by then it might be too late. Not sure what we could do differently tbh, regardless of who is the manager.