The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)

midds

The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)  

403 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to get relegated this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

I've said it before I'm quite relaxed about relegation:

1) It's just great to have the club trying to be the best it can be again 

2) I'm fairly confident we'd come straight back up. These days most well ran relegated teams aren't far off promotion due to their financial superiority. I'm fairly certain our owners will do what is required to see us promoted 

3) I still think there's a chance we'll stay up, so we're not even at that stage yet

12 hours ago, et tu brute said:

Problem is not spending, it's getting the players to come given the position we will most likely be in. 

Targeting players sat on the bench for top sides on loan until the end of the season. Not difficult. Lingard for example, he's only here on loan then returns to Man Utd and becomes a free agent, but equally he could agree a pre contract now with any club,but that would mean he'd still be stuck at Man Utd on the bench until next season, unless he actually transfers in January, or like I said sign on loan with us, then he becomes a free agent and can demand a large signing on fee wherever he goes next, you never know, a successful loan with us could result in him wanting to stay.

Same with many players at top clubs not getting game time, its absolutely no loss to them signing on short term loan, or sat warming the bench at their present clubs. ( some need game time, and gain some form, to be selected for their national sides) 

(World cup around the corner)

They'll get nowhere, sat doing nothing?

I'd rather play for half a season, and even in a relegation fight, it gives you something to fight for,even though it's not your particular club, you're seen as helping a side stay in the league.

I do also believe we will make a statement signing, call me mental, but Dembele from Barca, Will be a merc type signing, because it will be cash incentivised. But Barca are broke, Aguero now retired, they'd welcome the cash to sign a new striker. 

Think a DOF is needed imminently, it will help if it's an established person, someone who already will know the pool of players available in January. 

Then it's just agent work.

Too many people have hit the panic button already.

👍🏻

Edited by mighty__mag

57 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

I don't understand this take. The period from August until now has all but decided our fate. If December is rough as you say (and as we all expect) we'll be looking at a maximum of 13 points from 20 games.

It isn't impossible, but we need to accept nobody has ever survived from the position we're in before.

We need the gap to be 6 points or less come the Southampton game.

It is win or bust against Burnley.

Until we get that first win, hopefully on Saturday, we can't even think of taking X amount of points from the next X amount of games.

It's 1 game at a time, if we beat Burnley, I'll believe we can beat Leicester and if that happens we could then pull off a shock against one of City or Liverpool.

If we don't beat Burnley, the road to 36+ points looks all but impossible.

I just meant that we can’t expect much from December but we have to be flying and get results in pretty much all the ”winnable” games in January-March when we play our bottom-half rivals.

Edited by Collage

Records speak for itself, no other club has ever managed to stay up from this position  our confidence is now rock bottom. Could easily see us only getting a point at weekend or even worse and pick up very little after that until January. By then we would be better off concentrating on ypung players good enough for championship and potentially Premier and trying to get rid of the dead weight. Just can't see a miracle happening this time around and January coming too late

Edited by HWTL

25 minutes ago, HWTL said:

Records speak for itself, no other club has ever managed to stay up from this position  our confidence is now rock bottom. Could easily see us only getting a point at weekend or even worse and pick up very little after that until January. By then we would be better off concentrating on ypung players good enough for championship and potentially Premier and trying to get rid of the dead weight. Just can't see a miracle happening this time around and January coming too late

https://www.11v11.com/teams/sheffield-united/tab/matches/season/1991/comp/200/

There's no doubt we're in an absolutely shite situation and we've got an uphill battle to stay up, but past stats are irrelevant. I can confidently say none of the clubs listed will have found themselves in the same scenario that we now find ourselves in (new ownership, team slowly improving under a new manager after an eight game handicap, decent cash injection in January, etc).

4 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Bruce absolutely fucked us in the relatively easy start to the season, completely screwed us 

We knew it as well yet has to deal with the patronising cunts in the media telling us otherwise. Some still are. Wankers

Im genuinely worried the luck we needed to sneak a few wins has eluded us to the point that we’re literally going to have to defy all odds and history to stay up. The oddest bit is nobody has had a war chest of over 100m possible to spend this January, adding to the oddness of our situation. 

I’ll say this, at some point we will rid ourselves of the past 15 year neglect and obviously most recent years of starved investment - it may simply take longer than we all hoped. I’ve never loved this club more than I do now, even in those good times pre MA. NUFC is truly a part of me. Stay up or go down, that love will not lessen - the resolve and desire to be better will only increase. 

Its so annoying just how unlucky we've been this season, we could be 8 points better off. 

Vs Southampton: One stupid penalty away from a win.

Vs Brighton: One keeper sending off from a Wilson winner.

Vs Brentford: One Joelinton slip, and a Darlow howler away from 3 points.

Vs Norwich: Ciaran Clark being an absolute prick. 

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Disappointing we had to resort to this simplified poll. We've let ourselves down there.

It's two entirely different options though.

1. What are the chances of us going down (clearly 50/50 at the moment, so 5)

2. Do YOU think we will go down?

Given that people aren't allowed to vote either 0 or 10 based on some of the posts last night I feel having both polls is a great addition :)

9 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Im genuinely worried the luck we needed to sneak a few wins has eluded us to the point that we’re literally going to have to defy all odds and history to stay up. The oddest bit is nobody has had a war chest of over 100m possible to spend this January, adding to the oddness of our situation. 

I’ll say this, at some point we will rid ourselves of the past 15 year neglect and obviously most recent years of starved investment - it may simply take longer than we all hoped. I’ve never loved this club more than I do now, even in those good times pre MA. NUFC is truly a part of me. Stay up or go down, that love will not lessen - the resolve and desire to be better will only increase. 

Spot on. It will take a miracle to survive now, but if we;re going down, we'll swallow it, only thing we can ask now is that we go down fighting. That means go in against the big boys in December swinging. 

If this wasn't the Newcastle board and we were looking at the current bottom 3 it speaks for itself most would say its dead someone put it out of its misery , appears to me we will need a few things to go our way such as other teams doing us favors be it their own poor runs or beating teams around us to drag more people in the scrap, our players managing to get a few unexpected positive results and us having an impactful immediate transfer window. The fact we need all of these things to happen makes it that much more likely not to.

I voted a 8 as there is alot of the season still to play and we are not in a position where we cannot still help ourselves but if it were any other team I was "judging" I would say its a 10.

5 hours ago, r0cafella said:

So here’s a random question. 

We get relegated showing a slightly improvement and Rafa becomes available. 

would you stick with Howe or bring Rafa back?

Howe, for sure.

Be quite a coup to keep him in the Championship and I think this current squad would find a home down there. I bet Joelinton, Willock, Shelvey, Lewis, Longstaff etc are great at that level.

Based on our games against them, the evolving improved NUFC under Howe are better than at least Watford, Brentford, and now Norwich.

Whether it will be enough to catch them is another issue, but I'd expect us to get more points than them in the rest of the season.

32 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Based on our games against them, the evolving improved NUFC under Howe are better than at least Watford, Brentford, and now Norwich.

Whether it will be enough to catch them is another issue, but I'd expect us to get more points than them in the rest of the season.

Feel the same, and there will be at least a couple of signings. 

It’s just absolutely gutting the amount of time we wasted with Bruce. 

If we do go down you can bet the PL and all the clubs will be passing new rules left, right and centre to stop our owners plowing money into the club. 

As we won't be at the table any more I think they'll really tighten things up. It won't be impossible of course but you can bet they'll do everything they can to slow our spending power for when we come back into the league. 

Thing is though if we're in the league we could get legal teams involved to see if we would have a case etc. 

If we're not at the table there's literally nothing we can do except sit back and watch. I guess only Man City would "be on our side" 

I don't think were bringing in a new team that's top 10 caliber in January, if the PL even lets us do anything, so no chance for me.

Dont even think we'll beat Burnley. Probably start winning a few when its more important to the other teams than us. They've got us by the balls at the moment knowing our desparation.

Shot our bolt getting this delayed until October then fannying on with Bruce/Jones for a month while Rome burned.

Teams were not better than have a points and fixture advantage.

We didn't play badly against Brentford and Norwich by any means, its just we had to win but players that are only here because of Ashley's thieving cost us.

Edited by Wolfcastle