The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)

midds

The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)  

403 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to get relegated this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

I’m about a 9 at the moment. 

However, putting the emotion aside it’s important to remember that we are only 6 points adrift with over half a season to play. 

On multiple occasions teams have made up bigger ground in a lot less time, so it is still doable. 

football is a funny game and there is always unexpected results, I’m sure we will win some games this season that we had no expectation to win. 

We could easily be just 3 points from safety if we beat Burnley and Watfords results go our way. 

We are still in it but it will be tough. 

I’m at a ten, but we need to keep within 6 points at all times going into the last month or so between the 17th placed team and us, it’s doable, but my good we have Everest to climb and come back down to do that. 

1 hour ago, Scotty66 said:

If we do go down you can bet the PL and all the clubs will be passing new rules left, right and centre to stop our owners plowing money into the club. 

As we won't be at the table any more I think they'll really tighten things up. It won't be impossible of course but you can bet they'll do everything they can to slow our spending power for when we come back into the league. 

Go back a couple of pages in here from last night and you’ll see that there is the odd one on this board who doesn’t believe the PL clubs will try anything. 

They’ll absolutely give it a go 

39 minutes ago, LV said:

Go back a couple of pages in here from last night and you’ll see that there is the odd one on this board who doesn’t believe the PL clubs will try anything. 

They’ll absolutely give it a go 

I could see them reviving the "Big Picture" idea of reducing the Premier League to 18 clubs, for example by having just two clubs relegated from the PL and only one promoted from the Championship for the next two seasons, to reduce our chances of bouncing straight back.

54 minutes ago, GideonShandy said:

I could see them reviving the "Big Picture" idea of reducing the Premier League to 18 clubs, for example by having just two clubs relegated from the PL and only one promoted from the Championship for the next two seasons, to reduce our chances of bouncing straight back.

Absolutely

Im expecting all kinds of attempts along these lines 

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Are the negative stats just based on number of wins to this point? Like how few people have survived etc?

6 points behind with over half a season left doesn't really seem as impossible.

Leicester were 7 points adrift with 8 games to go in 2014 and managed to survive ffs :lol:

We’ve literally got three times the number of games to overturn a smaller gap.

People are being so over dramatic and handpicking their stats/comparisons that are completely irrelevant to the here and now.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

There is nothing impossible here, seriously not just a cliche. I've seen plenty of magnificent comebacks across all football leagues throughout the years, and they're not rare. It simply takes a good run of form combined with a disastrous one for rivals and you can suddenly find yourself above them in the table.

Also, downplaying the January transfer market as a non-factor is ridiculous. It changed the fortunes of struggling clubs in the past and will definitely change Newcastle's season if the right acquisitions are made. I think giving Howe full control in this coming transfer window would be ideal, then bring a DoF starting from the summer.

On 30/11/2021 at 22:14, LV said:

Us going down definitely, whatever anyone may say, gives the PL and the clubs set to lose most by having us there another bite at the cherry of keeping us out. 

Whatever anyone says. 

You knows it. 

The only thing we can do is to win as many games as possible and see where we are in about March. We've got no control over any other match and it's pointless worrying about other teams or games, we can't influence anything. If we, somehow, manage to scramble 34 points (or whatever) we'll probably have a chance. It'll take an unprecedented run of form to get near that though, it's got to be said. 

20 minutes ago, midds said:

The only thing we can do is to win as many games as possible and see where we are in about March. We've got no control over any other match and it's pointless worrying about other teams or games, we can't influence anything. If we, somehow, manage to scramble 34 points (or whatever) we'll probably have a chance. It'll take an unprecedented run of form to get near that though, it's got to be said. 

well you have to worry about other games like , we have no control I agree but our survival depends mainly on others slipping up now to have any chance at all .

Everyone likes to refer to the teams we were better than and should have beat - but we didnt beat any of them. People still referring to us "picking up a win or two and picking up" yet we've been saying that for at least 6 weeks.

Yes, we are 'only' 6 points from safety, but Watford 'only' need another 24 points from 24 games and they'll be safe. We 'only' need another 31.

31 points is minimum 8 wins IMO, coupled with 7 draws. Are we really likely to only lose 9 of our last 24?

Its not over, but ever week that ticks by, is one less game to achieve our 'only' target. 

We somehow need 6 or 7 points before the New Year, or we'll be in a situation where we need 28 points from 18 games (Europa League qualification form), and just can't see us winning 7 or 8 of the last 18.

Goes without saying, once again, we absolutely must beat Burnley. 

Edited by Karjala

Voted 9 and that we'll be relegated.

We've already played all the promoted teams and we haven't managed to beat any of them.

I'm also not seeing any spirit or urgency from the players. I know that we shouldn't be panicking yet but we need to show more grit and resolve. 

Unless we can sign a few players in January and who can have the same impact as Willock had last season, we'll sleepwalk to relegation.