The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)

midds

The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)  

403 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to get relegated this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

3 hours ago, Away Toon said:

A few days left, but with this squad we go down. Watford will get a bump with Roy unlike the lack of bump we got with Howe.

i swear down you are a miserable Mackem like 

So you think buying Trippier and Wood keeps us up? We'll likely finish bottom without further additions. Watford have bought 4 maybe 5 and brought in a new and better manager for the position they are in. It's called an opinion and a realistic one (IMO)

Still think we’re just as likely to go down as stay up, depending on the amount of goals we can score. 

Not having a completely shite midfield will help of course, but Bruno is still coming into a very bad team. 

More signings to come hopefully though. 

12 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Still think we’re just as likely to go down as stay up, depending on the amount of goals we can score. 

Not having a completely shite midfield will help of course, but Bruno is still coming into a very bad team. 

More signings to come hopefully though. 

I'm expecting 2 or 3 in tomorrow and I would be very surprised if at least one was not a 'Bruno' type signing. I hope so anyway as I'm not convinced this team stays up otherwise. 

I'm a 5.

Our signings to date are astute and should see us safe, it's just that we have no margin for error having played more games than nearly everyone around us.

We can't afford a Clark vs Norwich moment or a Darlow/Joelinton vs Brentford.

We'll be back to 2nd bottom by the time we next play but with 2 very winnable home games to come. If we get 6 points we'd be riding a wave with 3 wins on the bounce and a good window behind us. On the flip side, if we don't win either game the window will be quickly forgotten.

I get why people are saying 0 or 1 due to our signings but no team is too good to go down and regardless of optimism off the pitch, the league table doesn't lie.

Until we're out of the bottom 3 I can't score it lower than a 5.

Other clubs around us are picking up problems/have bigger troubles, but I think we've made the most ardent strides in the past month to address ours.

New signings will give us momentum, no doubt, but I'd like to have complete confidence in the errors/main perpetrators of dropping a bollock being eradicated from the side before having any optimism that we'll be ok.

I'd say there's every possibly that it'll open up and we'll see one or two other teams in the mix in the next few weeks.

Let’s not forget how bad this squad was before the 3 (soon to be 4) additions.

Bruno is massive upgrade in quality and will almost transform the midfield on his own. 

Trippier is also a big upgrade at RB, although this probably wasn’t a key position that we needed to improve we still have done so and makes our right hand side/set pieces that much more dangerous. Plus his experience and leadership qualities are priceless. 

Wood I think will play his part, not sure really how well he blends in up top with the type of player that Bruno is. He’s not going to be latching on to through balls but perhaps he can be more of a deeper lying forward retaining possession with his head and shifting the ball back to midfield who will look for the pace of ASM/Fraser/Almirion to get onto key passes. Always will be a danger from a set piece which can’t go understated.

Burn is the question mark for me because it depends on if we are trying to incorporate him in a back 5 which would utilise Schar nicely in the middle. I personally don’t think Schar is suited to a 4, so from my point of view Burn will be paired with Lascelles or it will be the 5 with Burn/Schar/Lascelles. 

Add Lingard to this to replace Fraser and that’s a huge step forward to. LB is also weak as we have little balance there with Lewis probably being our only capable natural LB, I defended Dummett after the Leeds game but Raphihna did show how limited the guy is. For an out and out defensive LB to get his bum hole felt that many times is poor, Targett would be better here although neither would necessarily suit what Howe is going for I don’t think. 

Long story short I’m still at a 5 or 6. If we sign a striker tomorrow that suits the style that Bruno can provide, plus Lingard and a LB I’d be down to a 3. 

Edited by Nine

I don't think I've really changed, prob a 6. You always had to take into account our squad would improve - it has, prob no better or worse than my expectations. Bruno's better than what I imagined, but thought we might do better in terms of getting proven goals. If there's a nice attacking surprise tomorrow could shift my expectations.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

Lingard would up our chances dramatically as he is capable of putting them away from the right hand side of a striker or a number 10 role.

Targett and Burn would help the defence, especially our left hand side which is a weakness (ASM in front of whatever rank defender we have in that position).

If we beat everton on the 8th we will survive...