The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)

midds

The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)  

402 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to get relegated this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Need to totally change the defence for Arsenal (I don't think he will mind), I would have Dubravka, Manquillo, Fernadez, Schar, and Lewis (Lascelles in the centre if a five). You're not staying up when conceding on average about 2.5 goals per game. We concede every game and therefore require at least two, to even think about getting a win (usually it's scoring two to be even within a chance of getting a draw). I'm more than certain Howe has worked overtime on the defence during the break, to stop consistently gving away school boy level goals, unfortunately the players selected have proven time and again, they're not up to standard. It really pisses me off, seeing the same total donkeys selected in that defence and getting the same level of performance each time. 

Edited by et tu brute

I went with 8. I think there is too much to do and so much to overhaul in a short space of

time. Obviously it won’t all hinge on one gameweek. But failing to win yesterday and pretty much every other result going against us. It feels like we’re going to be miles behind in January. 

I feel more positive about going down than the last two times. 

The first time, it was into the unknown and the club was a mess. The second time it all hinged on Rafa staying and that was up in the air. 

If we get relegated AGAIN. Then I feel like Howe and co would stick around for the rebuild. We’d hang onto a lot of the players worth keeping and we’d be able to buy players to get us back up, easy enough. 

People looking at the past for examples of precedents are ignoring the fact that the quality of the league has grown exponentially these past few years. 

Even Championship teams are coming up with premeir league quality players in their midst. A few years ago buying from the Championship was rare, now it's a good indicator of quality as the league is so good itself. 

Edited by Thumbheed

Not really. 

The usual candidates are currently in the top 3. Mitrovic is scoring goals like a prime R9 and with the money we have. We’d be able to get certain players to stay and recruit properly to see us back up, in my opinion. 

Once we make up 3 points on 17th it'll look rosier, but that'll likely not happen v Arsenal. We need Burnley, Norwich, Leeds, Watford, Brentford and Southampton all to drop points. And simply we have to beat Norwich and Burnley plus probably get a good result at Leicester. 

3 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Not really. 

The usual candidates are currently in the top 3. Mitrovic is scoring goals like a prime R9 and with the money we have. We’d be able to get certain players to stay and recruit properly to see us back up, in my opinion. 

Yeah, the last few years has seen mainly relegated teams being promoted within a year or two.

Not many teams have survived with our number of points after 12 games and really don't think we will. Even Norwich have started winning and with us conceding so many goals we could be adrift by January and unlikely to have amazing players queuing up to sign of we are so far back.

Even our previous 2 relegations had us with at least 10 points at this stage. Going with a 8 at the moment as slim chance Howe gets them in shape.

Even if we do go down, we will build and won't be shit forever and I only blame those that shan't be named.

4 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Once we make up 3 points on 17th it'll look rosier, but that'll likely not happen v Arsenal. We need Burnley, Norwich, Leeds, Watford, Brentford and Southampton all to drop points. And simply we have to beat Norwich and Burnley plus probably get a good result at Leicester. 

We can bother Leicester and Arsenal in theory, obvs we have to not gift them goals. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We can bother Leicester and Arsenal in theory, obvs we have to not gift them goals. 

Leicester are leaking goals and have been all season; only kept 1 clean sheet all season which was v Wolves at home on the opening day.

Arsenal I'm not hopeful for, they're capable of stinkers but they always turn up against us. We'll have to score at least twice to have a chance of getting anything and that isn't sustainable against sides with the attacking threat that they have.

9 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Not really. 

Poorly put from me but I was referencing posts saying how teams have escaped relegation from worse positions than us in the past and how that's not a fair comparison owing to the fact that teams coming up are now getting promoted with gifted players whereas I don't think that was the case in the past. 

I reckon I'm on about a 7.6 atm. It's looking awful, we don't look like winning and we have some horrible fixtures coming soon. 

That said we also have a new manager and a transfer window to come soon, it's not beyond the point of pulling it back, it is possible to claw our way back into the dogfight but let's not kid ourselves either. It's going to be incredibly difficult to get the results we need and we're already looking at other teams to drop points. In November. It's going to take something for everything to click into place but I've still got hope it will. Giving up on the team now, with nearly 80 points to play for is embarrassing imo. It's not done yet. We still have a chance but it needs to change very very soon. 

1 minute ago, Thumbheed said:

Poorly put from me but I was referencing posts saying how teams have escaped relegation from worse positions than us in the past and how that's not a fair comparison owing to the fact that teams coming up are now getting promoted with gifted players whereas I don't think that was the case in the past. 

Norwich, Brentford and Watford are no better than previous teams to come up. 

10 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Norwich, Brentford and Watford are no better than previous teams to come up. 

All 3 teams have players I'd have in our team. Go back 5-6 years ago and that wouldn't happen. 

The league is absolutely full of quality. 

I dont remember in the past looking at Cardiff and thinking, "aye there's 2-3 players who'd be more than good enough for our team"

Edited by Thumbheed

1 minute ago, midds said:

I reckon I'm on about a 7.6 atm. It's looking awful, we don't look like winning and we have some horrible fixtures coming soon. 

That said we also have a new manager and a transfer window to come soon, it's not beyond the point of pulling it back, it is possible to claw our way back into the dogfight but let's not kid ourselves either. It's going to be incredibly difficult to get the results we need and we're already looking at other teams to drop points. In November. It's going to take something for everything to click into place but I've still got hope it will. Giving up on the team now, with nearly 80 points to play for is embarrassing imo. It's not done yet. We still have a chance but it needs to change very very soon. 

Got to beat Norwich and Burnley that's a given. In order of possible results Arsenal, Leicester, Man Utd and Everton could be possible points, however then you look at that defence and say, still very unlikely. 

3 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Got to beat Norwich and Burnley that's a given. In order of possible results Arsenal, Leicester, Man Utd and Everton could be possible points, however then you look at that defence and say, still very unlikely. 

Leicester and Everton are our most likely sources of points away from the Norwich/Burnley double header. Leicester leak goals similarly to us and by the time we play Everton it may have turned toxic v Benitez and Howe will have had far more of a stamp on the team by then.

6 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

All 3 teams have players I'd have in our team. Go back 5-6 years ago and that wouldn't happen. 

The league is absolutely full of quality. 

I dont remember in the past looking at Cardiff and thinking, "aye there's 2-3 players who'd be more than good enough for our team"

Just not true. Using Cardiff as one example is not representative. 

Who would you have in our team from Norwich? One player, maybe? Two? Cantwell and maybe Normann? Even still I’m not sure they’d directly improve us.

Your point is proven to be wrong by the fact more often than not recently, the three who come up go down. Which is happening more regularly than it did a few years ago.

12 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Just not true. Using Cardiff as one example is not representative. 

Who would you have in our team from Norwich? One player, maybe? Two? Cantwell and maybe Normann? Even still I’m not sure they’d directly improve us.

Your point is proven to be wrong by the fact more often than not recently, the three who come up go down. Which is happening more regularly than it did a few years ago.

Cantwell, Pukki and Aaron's to name but 3 as you asked. The point being that the quality of the league overall is much much stronger than it ever was in the years gone past and that's without mentioning the fact the quality of managers is also unprecedented in this league at present. 

Hardly proven wrong like when you can only pull a couple of examples of teams who've escaped from our position in god knows how long...

I dunno if I'm missing something but there's a significant number of teams who've come up from the championship and stayed up in recent years. I think there's only West Brom, Fulham and Stoke in the championship at present who've had any real time in the PL in the past decade, the rest of the league are thereabout teams, plus half the teams in the PL at present have come from the Championship, no?

Edited by Thumbheed

Hopefully the column remains "Premier League Relegations 2" come the end of the season. 

Currently a 7 for me. It doesn't look good but there are plenty of games to go. With the new coaching set up and some new additions in January, hopefully it will be down to a 5 by Feb and a 3 by late March.

This league is so hard to tell. Not sure if that is because the league has become much more competitive and unpredictable as a result or I have just acclimatized my expectations with rosetinted specs as to how shit we have become. I used to think "we should take 3 points of 'Team X', struggle to find teams I can say that about now."

7 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Cantwell, Pukki and Aaron's to name but 3 as you asked. The point being that the quality of the league overall is much much stronger than it ever was in the years gone past and that's without mentioned the fact the quality of managers is also unprecedented in this league at present. 

Hardly proven wrong like when you can only pull a couple of examples of teams who've escaped from our position in god knows how long...

I dunno if I'm missing something but there's a significant number of teams who've come up from the championship and stayed up. I think there's only West Brom, Fulham and Stoke in the championship at present who've had any real time in the PL in the past decade, there rest of the league are thereabout teams. Half the teams in the PL at present have come from the Championship no?

Pukki ahead of Wilson? :lol: Now I know you’re talking crap.

Aarons has been awful for them this season. He’s no better than Lewis. As I said, none of their players would improve us, other than Cantwell.

Fulham, West Brom, Huddersfield, Sheff United, Swansea, Cardiff, Hull, Middlesbrough have all come up within the last five years and gone straight back down, or down within two seasons. Most of those have yo-yo’d between the two.

Add in Watford, Norwich and to some degree, Brighton and there are three more examples of teams going up and straight back down.

Top quality these days though, those Championship promoted teams.

Edited by Fantail Breeze