The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)

midds

The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)  

403 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to get relegated this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

15 minutes ago, Conjo said:

We're out of the relegation zone, we've strengthened the team considerably, we've got a competent manager and have won 2 in a row for the first time since May 21. I just can't fathom how you can think we are more likely to be relegated than not. 

Think of it more like a pessemism-ometer. :lol:

3. More likely not, but still a lot of danger and a bit worried that Watford pick up under Hodgson, and/or Burnley do what they do most seasons. Think today's win was huge though, and there's a decent chance the threat could dissipate through Feb and March and we'll be left wondering what we were worried about by the end - like last season.

Down from three to two for me. We're now ahead on points, greatly improving on the pitch, and are smashing the teams around us in the form table, even going back 10 or 12 games. The team that strengthened in January, with two world class players, two solid PL defenders (one a player of the season), and a useful bottom half striker poached from a relegation rival is us, not them.

Just to focus on the bane of the season, but we gave Everton zero opportunities after they scored, never mind once we were ahead. There was no risk of those points being lost.

The only downsides are the injury to Wilson and any potential ones to key players who I'll not mention.

Just taking games since the day Howe took over, we are 11th in the table (albeit with an uneven number of games played). Keep close to that form over the course of the rest of the season and it'll make up for the Bruce/Jones form over the first 11 games. And obviously we'll be hoping we actually improve on that form with our new players etc. Howe has now been in charge for 50% of our games but got 72% of our points. Basically our current position does not tell the story of Howe's Newcastle and it should gradually become more representative. 

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:premier-league/daterange/fromdate:2021-Nov-08/todate:2022-Jun-01/type:home-and-away/

(played/points)

10 Brighton and Hove Albion 11 13

11 Newcastle United 11 13

12 Leicester City 9 11

13 Southampton 11 11

14 Leeds United 10 11

15 Brentford 12 11

16 Norwich City 11 11

17 Crystal Palace 11 9

18 Burnley 9 6

19 Watford 11 5

20 Everton 10 4 

Edited by Inferior Acuña

Man, I know you can say this loads of times over a season, but if only we’d held on against Watford.

Does feel like a corner has been turned though, IF we can beat Villa then I’ll be so confident. There’ll be twists and turns yet to come but as long as we can keep the likes of Trippier & ASM fit we should be alright.

If we had Wilson I’d be at a -5. Right now I’m probably at a 5, it’s NUFC after all, we generally can’t have nice things. 

5 minutes ago, ToonAbroad said:

3 for me now. Important that Everton, Leeds and Brentford are getting sucked into the mix now too rather than the four of us being cut adrift. Having one of those other 3 go on a run is less of an issue now, I think we'll be fine.

Brentford could be this year’s team to drop like a stone. Would love to see Everton go down, but think they have too much quality for that

4 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Brentford could be this year’s team to drop like a stone. Would love to see Everton go down, but think they have too much quality for that

Keep hearing that about Everton but certainly didn't see it last night. They are in terrible form as well.

5 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Keep thinking this then they nick a result you don't expect. Still, 5 points behind them with a game in hand now though...

It's an interesting relegation race for sure. We've still got plenty to do but back to back wins is huge, we have invested and we are looking more confident.

Burnley not winning but not really losing much. Still in touch. Watford in big trouble but still have winnable games. Norwich have won 4 from last 5 games (league and cup). Not fair to say they are fucked, they have a chance to stay up.

Everton are definitely in trouble. A win against Leeds would be huge for them, if no win, right in the shit still. I think Leeds will be fine and I think Brentford can be dragged into it. Our game away to them could be massive. 

Edited by samptime29

I remember a couple of months ago being really worried we'd be 8-9 points adrift by the time we got to the transfer window, yet after only one match post the window closing we are out of the bottom three. Obviously a long way to go, and we still look a bit light up front, but got to be happy with the direction we are heading. I bet we are odds against going down with the bookies now.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

I remember a couple of months ago being really worried we'd be 8-9 points adrift by the time we got to the transfer window, yet after only one match post the window closing we are out of the bottom three. Obviously a long way to go, and we still look a bit light up front, but got to be happy with the direction we are heading. I bet we are odds against going down with the bookies now.

9/4 

40 minutes ago, TRon said:

We were never much shorter than a shade of odds on for all of January pretty much. Current odds of 9/4-5/2 would make us a great bet to go down if the 6/10 and 7/10 scores on here are to be believed.