Newcastle United vs. Norwich City: 30/11/21 @ 19:30 (Live on Amazon Prime)

South-Cheshire-Toon

OK, just over 4 hours to go until the team news is released - anyone with any words of wisdom.

On the formation front - I saw Eddie's masterclass against Chelsea (Bournemouth won 3-0) - and he seems to go with a 4-3-3, but I'd more leaning to a 4-1-3-2 or 4-1-2-3, with the likes of shelvey being the 1 and dropping back to make a 5, then there wouldn't be some much room at the back.

12 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Think that's completely unfounded. He's been playing in the centre all season when Bruce was here and was largely ineffective. A lot of centre halves nowadays have the pace as well as the strength and positioning to compete with quick players, and ASM was useless in the middle against Brighton, Chelsea, Palace, Spurs, Wolves and Villa. Against Brentford he had his best game for quite a while because shock, he was played on the left. He got a hattrick of assists v Bournemouth in 19-20 on the left. He scored v Brentford coming in from the left. He drew defenders towards him out wide and out of the middle for a few of Willock's 8 in a row last season. He may well like playing in the middle but he is best utilised out wide, he done nothing under Bruce when in the middle to warrant being played in the middle. You play ASM, you take that risk with tracking the full back, just like you did when you play HBA, Robert, Ginola. The space he creates in the middle when pulling players out wide is what this side needs. 

HBA always said 10 was his best position as well, in this league it definitely wasn't.

8 minutes ago, kisearch said:

I feel like players quite often don't know their best position themselves and just go with the one they enjoy the most or the position they feel comfortable in.  

Most of it is ego IMO, if you can't be the 9 you want to be the 10.

Anyway, pick the team I put out and we'll not keep a clean sheet but we'll probably still win. I don't want to see Hayden anywhere near the XI, barely imposes himself on the game and is a poor footballer.

I’m at footy til 8, will get home about 5 past, does Amazon allow you to watch from the start like I think Sky/BT does? 

Edited by HTT II

2 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Predictions for tonight then? I predict Shelvey will score a rocket, he seems to be getting forward more under Howe!

Need to just win. We'd have deservedly beaten Brentford had Darlow not been, well, Darlow. Dubravka back, same approach, we have to beat them. Simply just have to. We win this, the confidence will carry through to Burnley for another 3 points, then again to Leicester. Any less than 3 points and that confidence is nonexistent.

4 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Predictions for tonight then? I predict Shelvey will score a rocket, he seems to be getting forward more under Howe!

3-1.

I'm assuming we will be getting plenty of players forward and putting them under pressure. Yes it will be slightly risky, but they aren't really much of a threat goal-wise, so we can afford to be more adventurous. 

3 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Need to just win. We'd have deservedly beaten Brentford had Darlow not been, well, Darlow. Dubravka back, same approach, we have to beat them. Simply just have to. We win this, the confidence will carry through to Burnley for another 3 points, then again to Leicester. Any less than 3 points and that confidence is nonexistent.

The way Leicester play and how porous their defence has been, I’d fancy us getting something from them probably more than Burnley, but Vardy terrifies me against our defence… 

Just now, HTT II said:

The way Leicester play and how porous their defence has been, I’d fancy us getting something from them probably more than Burnley, but Vardy terrifies me against our defence… 

I agree but I think at home under Howe we'll be strong as the ground has been waiting for this new era for years. Brentford was one of the best atmospheres for a 3pm kick off that I can remember, and we were only in front for like 70 seconds of the game. :lol:  Since we came back up in 2017 we have won every trip away to Leicester aside from that abysmal 5-0 in 2019-20 where Hayden was sent off just before half time at 1-0. They leak almost as many goals as us. It's certainly a game we shouldn't fear.

The only fear I have for the Burnley game is Howe's record against them. It's awful.

1 minute ago, Willow said:

Newcastle United have not lost a league fixture at home to Norwich City since 1988, winning seven and drawing two of the subsequent nine games.

And if you’re looking for your first ever win at some place you’ve never won at previously, who you wanna play? You’ve jinxed us now man!

Edited by HTT II

4 minutes ago, Willow said:

Newcastle United have not lost a league fixture at home to Norwich City since 1988, winning seven and drawing two of the subsequent nine games.

0-2 then. Cheers, everyone is crying.

Howe just needs to get them playing as they did against Brentford. Norwich aren't as good as Brentford and we won't have Lascelles, Ritchie and Darlow making constant mistakes.

Reckon 2-0.

Wilson both.