Newcastle United vs. Norwich City: 30/11/21 @ 19:30 (Live on Amazon Prime)

South-Cheshire-Toon

Everyone I've chatted to about the match tonight seems to be properly shitting their duds, this has a real make-or-break feel about it.

I think a 2-1 win, a Norwich goal coming late on and us just about seeing it out.

Norwich fan here with a long time soft spot for Newcastle (lots of family from the area).

I can safely say that you lot will win this one tonight. There’s a saying amongst our support of “Along Come Norwich” - if a team hasn’t won all season, they’ll beat us. If a player hasn’t scored in 30 games, he’ll score against us. Couple this with the fact that we haven’t won at St James Park since 1988, and we’ve also never won a PL game on a Tuesday despite 15 attempts, and I have never been more certain than anything of a loss.

Whilst Smith has clearly tightened our defence over the past 2 weeks, we still look undeniably shakey at times. If Howe sets you up to attack, I can see our CB pairing of Hanley & Gibson buckling under the pressure. Hanley in particular has made a near game costing mistake in each of the last 2 games. 

Hope I’m wrong of course, and regardless of the result I can still see us both going down this season (well, we definitely are and I guess it all depends on what happens in January for you).

Edited by Hoolahanaldo

1 minute ago, Hoolahanaldo said:

There’s a saying amongst our support of “Along Come Norwich” - if a team hasn’t won all season, they’ll beat us. If a player hasn’t scored in 30 games, he’ll score against us.

I've never heard it called that before but a very similar feeling exists with Newcastle fans and has done for years :lol:

Sheffield United broke their duck against us last January after about 20 games

Derby got their only PL win of an 11pt season against us (4/11 pts total from us)

Not to mention the countless bang average players whose highlight reels against Newcastle make them look like Pele

5 minutes ago, Hoolahanaldo said:

Norwich fan here with a long time soft spot for Newcastle (lots of family from the area).

I can safely say that you lot will win this one tonight. There’s a saying amongst our support of “Along Come Norwich” - if a team hasn’t won all season, they’ll beat us. If a player hasn’t scored in 30 games, he’ll score against us. Couple this with the fact that we haven’t won at St James Park since 1988, and we’ve also never won a PL game on a Tuesday despite 15 attempts, and I have never been more certain than anything of a loss.

Whilst Smith has clearly tightened our defence over the past 2 weeks, we still look undeniably shakey at times. If Howe sets you up to attack, I can see our CB pairing of Hanley & Gibson buckling under the pressure. Hanley in particular has made a near game costing mistake in each of the last 2 games. 

Hope I’m wrong of course, and regardless of the result I can still see us both going down this season (well, we definitely are and I guess it all depends on what happens in January for you).

Thanks for that uplifting post, I feel somewhat better about watching the game now.  Please stick around. :lol:

1 minute ago, 54 said:

Was it Norwich we had 2 bonkers games against the season we last went down? Remember Wiji scoring 4 or something stupid :lol: 

We had 4 games like that. 6-2 and 3-2 in the PL, 4-3 and 2-2 in the Championship. The games weren't just mental because of the scorelines but they were all played at a ridiculous speed.

22 minutes ago, Hoolahanaldo said:

At the risk of Hoolanhanaldo and I having a six-fingered (did I just say that?) debate on the Toon board, I can say that nothing can be 'safely' predicted for this one. We at Delia Central have become a tougher nut to crack at the back. Hanley does have a habit of going Walkabout, but has been one of the major reasons why we have conceded less recently. On the other hand Pukki (Russian = Fart) seems to score the more difficult chances, but can't put away the expected ones. With Dean Smith now playing both Rashica and Billmour we also seem to have a creative streak. All of which leads me to think... I have no idea what might happen. I think it will come down to our new-found style and confidence, at least not to lose, contrasted with the Newcastle crowd and the Eddie Bounce. I sense a 1-1, but maybe Toon 1 Norwich 1.5. Like you lot, nervous. But fortune favours the brave. I think most of us would be well happy with a draw. Enjoy!

Edited by Seamus

It should be enough for us just to play well and be effective going forward. Obviously we leak goals but if we play like we did against Brentford - with ASM doing his thing and Joelinton having another barnstormer - we should have enough. Been reminding myself of the Gini 6-2 game (which could've been 6-6) and can see something similar where the floodgates just open, possibly at both ends. 

52 minutes ago, Hoolahanaldo said:

Very kind of you to say that, but as others have alluded to whilst you may be Norwich, we are Newcastle. Anything could happen!

Nervous about that one. Starting to miss the years when I didn't give a shit :lol::lol:.

On a serious note, absolutely must win. I think we will do it but it won't be easy. I imagine a scrappy game but at home in a night game with a good atmosphere we will win. 1-0. 

It feels so good to be excited ahead of our games again. :love:

I have a feeling it'll be a dirty and tense hoof & graft fest, but feel fairly optimistic that we'll bag our first win of the season in a few hours.