Newcastle United vs. Norwich City: 30/11/21 @ 19:30 (Live on Amazon Prime)

South-Cheshire-Toon

1 hour ago, Hoolahanaldo said:

Norwich fan here with a long time soft spot for Newcastle (lots of family from the area).

I can safely say that you lot will win this one tonight. There’s a saying amongst our support of “Along Come Norwich” - if a team hasn’t won all season, they’ll beat us. If a player hasn’t scored in 30 games, he’ll score against us. Couple this with the fact that we haven’t won at St James Park since 1988, and we’ve also never won a PL game on a Tuesday despite 15 attempts, and I have never been more certain than anything of a loss.

Whilst Smith has clearly tightened our defence over the past 2 weeks, we still look undeniably shakey at times. If Howe sets you up to attack, I can see our CB pairing of Hanley & Gibson buckling under the pressure. Hanley in particular has made a near game costing mistake in each of the last 2 games. 

Hope I’m wrong of course, and regardless of the result I can still see us both going down this season (well, we definitely are and I guess it all depends on what happens in January for you).

I was at the game at Carrow Road on Saturday mate, I thought Norwich looked like a fairly decent side, if lacking a cutting a edge. Given the absolute gulf in coaching standards and professionalism between Bruce and Farke, it looks as though Smith has had a slightly easier ride of getting the side to adapt to a new, more solid, approach than Eddie Howe. Would be interested to know your thoughts.

20 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Early goal would do us all the world of good

Had three early goals at home this season I think, but not does seem to help.

Maybe go 1 down then win.

Edited by the fella

3 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Not felt this nervous in a long time pre-match.

It’s a lovely feeling; in a very strange way. 

I genuinely never thought I’d get that feeling back. Let’s just hope we get the 3 points as well. Haven’t seen us win with this feeing yet!

3 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

It’s a lovely feeling; in a very strange way. 

I genuinely never thought I’d get that feeling back. Let’s just hope we get the 3 points as well. Haven’t seen us win with this feeing yet!

Agreed, it least it means the game actually matters.

1 hour ago, Hoolahanaldo said:

Norwich fan here with a long time soft spot for Newcastle (lots of family from the area).

I can safely say that you lot will win this one tonight. There’s a saying amongst our support of “Along Come Norwich” - if a team hasn’t won all season, they’ll beat us. If a player hasn’t scored in 30 games, he’ll score against us. Couple this with the fact that we haven’t won at St James Park since 1988, and we’ve also never won a PL game on a Tuesday despite 15 attempts, and I have never been more certain than anything of a loss.

Whilst Smith has clearly tightened our defence over the past 2 weeks, we still look undeniably shakey at times. If Howe sets you up to attack, I can see our CB pairing of Hanley & Gibson buckling under the pressure. Hanley in particular has made a near game costing mistake in each of the last 2 games. 

Hope I’m wrong of course, and regardless of the result I can still see us both going down this season (well, we definitely are and I guess it all depends on what happens in January for you).

This has cheered me up somewhat!

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Heads up for anyone watching on prime that it’s usually delayed about 2/3 minutes behind real time so might want to avoid checking the game anywhere else.

I find bt sports, I have the large screen option through ee and watch it on my xbox, is exactly the same. I end up knocking notifications off. 

3 minutes ago, Gazzaschicken said:

Anyone else feel deja vu and tonight will be 6-2 to the toon. 

When we played Norwich back then pretty sure it was under very similar circumstances. 

We also got relegated that year so hopefully not

1 hour ago, toon25 said:

I was at the game at Carrow Road on Saturday mate, I thought Norwich looked like a fairly decent side, if lacking a cutting a edge. Given the absolute gulf in coaching standards and professionalism between Bruce and Farke, it looks as though Smith has had a slightly easier ride of getting the side to adapt to a new, more solid, approach than Eddie Howe. Would be interested to know your thoughts.

I think you’re probably right. Farke was a good tactician if a little naive at times, particularly in the PL. I think there’s many areas where Smith and Farke are probably very similar in their methods, which you would expect has eased the transition somewhat.

But yeah, we’re not a bad side and if we are allowed to get the ball down on the ground and play at our own pace, then we may have a chance tonight. We could also do with Pukki bringing his shooting boots which he clearly forgot against Wolves. What you lot need is Howe telling his players to get into us from minute 1. Whilst Smith has bought a sense of belief into the team, we still “don’t like it up’us” as they say and our current squad have always struggled against pressing, physical sides. I haven’t watched enough of you this season to know if this way of playing suits your players.