Jump to content

Newcastle United vs. Norwich City: 30/11/21 @ 19:30 (Live on Amazon Prime)


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

 

I'd probably agree but I think there's an argument for playing Miggy left and ASM central, if only for the cover Miggy provides the full back.

The system @Rich has posted lacks any form of screen for the defence again. 
 

We either player with a 3 man midfield or start Hayden imo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

ASM is not effective in the centre, Bruce has been playing him there for a while now and has been largely ghosting. He's a winger, a very bloody good one. He draws 2, sometimes even 3 defenders towards him which creates space in the middle for Wilson and/or a late runner like Almiron in the #10 or Willock when he's on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

The system @Rich has posted lacks any form of screen for the defence again. 
 

We either player with a 3 man midfield or start Hayden imo. 

 

I kinda agree, and would consider a 433 too, I just dont think we really have the midfield to do it well. But I think being able to produce 2 banks of 4 should be cover enough. And then maybe youd drop Joelinton for Fraser. Youd hope by having 2 wingers willing to backtrack and ensure 2 solid banks of 4 we can sacrifice the more exclusive defensive midfield position. Will require a lot of running to get up and down but Miggy has that. Just need to find the other one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

ASM's best postition is in the centre, it's daft to think or believe otherwise. Playing left or right he naturally takes on greater responsibility in defence with having to track full backs and being greater involved in defensive structures. It's easier for structured defences to pocket-defend him when he's close to a touch line, especially when he's having to track a full back and 50-75 yards away from the attacking goal.

 

He said playing as a 10 is his favourite place to play, 7 mins in... 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Plastician said:

ASM's best postition is in the centre, it's daft to think or believe otherwise. Playing left or right he naturally takes on greater responsibility in defence with having to track full backs and being greater involved in defensive structures. It's easier for structured defences to pocket-defend him when he's close to a touch line, especially when he's having to track a full back and 50-75 yards away from the attacking goal.

 

He said playing as a 10 is his favourite place to play, 7 mins in... 

 

 

 

Think that's completely unfounded. He's been playing in the centre all season when Bruce was here and was largely ineffective. A lot of centre halves nowadays have the pace as well as the strength and positioning to compete with quick players, and ASM was useless in the middle against Brighton, Chelsea, Palace, Spurs, Wolves and Villa. Against Brentford he had his best game for quite a while because shock, he was played on the left. He got a hattrick of assists v Bournemouth in 19-20 on the left. He scored v Brentford coming in from the left. He drew defenders towards him out wide and out of the middle for a few of Willock's 8 in a row last season. He may well like playing in the middle but he is best utilised out wide, he done nothing under Bruce when in the middle to warrant being played in the middle. You play ASM, you take that risk with tracking the full back, just like you did when you play HBA, Robert, Ginola. The space he creates in the middle when pulling players out wide is what this side needs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

 

Think that's completely unfounded. He's been playing in the centre all season when Bruce was here and was largely ineffective. A lot of centre halves nowadays have the pace as well as the strength and positioning to compete with quick players, and ASM was useless in the middle against Brighton, Chelsea, Palace, Spurs, Wolves and Villa. Against Brentford he had his best game for quite a while because shock, he was played on the left. He got a hattrick of assists v Bournemouth in 19-20 on the left. He scored v Brentford coming in from the left. He drew defenders towards him out wide and out of the middle for a few of Willock's 8 in a row last season. He may well like playing in the middle but he is best utilised out wide, he done nothing under Bruce when in the middle to warrant being played in the middle. You play ASM, you take that risk with tracking the full back, just like you did when you play HBA, Robert, Ginola. The space he creates in the middle when pulling players out wide is what this side needs. 

I'd rather see ASM play centrally, even in a 442 playing off Wilson ahead of Gayle than playing out wide.

 

In football in 2021, it's easier to attack centrally - we need our best player close to our best goal scorer. 

 

"playing in the center all season when Bruce..." LOL. Citing Steve Bruce.

 

"centre halves nowadays have the pace as well as the strength and positioning to compete with quick players" Aye, so do right backs - like little pricks like Tariq Lamptey.

 

 

Edited by Plastician

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Plastician said:

I'd rather see ASM play centrally, even in a 442 playing off Wilson ahead of Gayle than playing out wide.

 

In football in 2021, it's easier to attack centrally - we need our best player close to our best goal scorer. 

 

"playing in the center all season when Bruce..." LOL. Citing Steve Bruce.

 

"centre halves nowadays have the pace as well as the strength and positioning to compete with quick players" Aye, so do right backs - like little pricks like Tariq Lamptey.

 

 

 

 

Well he has played there and been largely fucking useless.

 

Is it? I've tried to find some stats to back that up but can't. FWIW all 4 of Wilson's goals this season have come from 3 crosses from wide and 1 corner.

 

The manager he's played 95%+ of his games for the club, yeah, I'm mentioning the time under him as when he played in the middle then he was shit. Just as shit, if not worse than the 3 games under Jones.

 

Erm, I never said right/full backs didn't? :lol: The main reason I said that is because in games such as Chelsea this season, I would rather he was up against Ben Chilwell that game than having to try and get past Rudiger, Silva and/or Christensen in the middle. Yeah they might've doubled up but that would have made space in the centre for runners to carry us up the pitch which is why he needs to be out wide. Same with Southampton at home, Salisu was dealing with him easily in the middle. You'd rather he was up against Valery. He provides an out ball when wide. Starting him through the middle nullifies what he's good at, taking on full backs and carrying us up the pitch. In the middle he'll have the ball played to feet with his back to goal or have it hoofed up to his neck as on the ball barring Schar and Shelvey we don't have the quality on the ball in the rear 6 or 7.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

 

Well he has played there and been largely fucking useless.

 

Is it? I've tried to find some stats to back that up but can't. FWIW all 4 of Wilson's goals this season have come from 3 crosses from wide and 1 corner.

 

The manager he's played 95%+ of his games for the club, yeah, I'm mentioning the time under him as when he played in the middle then he was shit. Just as shit, if not worse than the 3 games under Jones.

 

Erm, I never said right/full backs didn't? :lol: The main reason I said that is because in games such as Chelsea this season, I would rather he was up against Ben Chilwell that game than having to try and get past Rudiger, Silva and/or Christensen in the middle. Yeah they might've doubled up but that would have made space in the centre for runners to carry us up the pitch which is why he needs to be out wide. Same with Southampton at home, Salisu was dealing with him easily in the middle. You'd rather he was up against Valery. He provides an out ball when wide. Starting him through the middle nullifies what he's good at, taking on full backs and carrying us up the pitch. In the middle he'll have the ball played to feet with his back to goal or have it hoofed up to his neck as on the ball barring Schar and Shelvey we don't have the quality on the ball in the rear 6 or 7.

I think Bruce in certain games gave ASM a total free role when playing wide, or centrally. 

 

Last season at Home to Brighton, Lamptey proved that ASM should never be played wide; within 10mins Lamptey had ASM in his pocket and ASM had no idea to defend, or close space whilst in a defensive structure.

 

Until we sign a 2021/22 Ashley Cole/Maldini hybrid ASM shouldn't be playing wide. He's our best player, play him closest to our second best player - Wilson. 

 

Bruce played him centrally

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only reason ASM had a free role was we basically had everyone else behind the ball bar him and Wilson and as the record states we did fuck all doing that,if we do what Howe wants and press from the front, be more attacking with much more movement and not just the owness on Wilson and Saint then playing him out wide in his natural position in a no brainer. Looks a totally different player when he has space outwide and makes space for others and creates chances. Not a st or a 10 for me 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Managed to have 3 tickets for this so going with my lads , curry first and then onto the match , the feeling of looking forward to games is phenomenal again . 
Night games are quite rare these days at home in the league , I remember the last one I went to was actually Norwich , I fucked off 5 mins before the end 3-2 down, by the time I got to the Percy we had won [emoji38]

 

Never again have or will I leave early, HWTFL I’m nervous but can’t wait for this , wish I could smell the “hops” ……remember that lads? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Aiston said:

 

Both horrifically bad defensively but even worse is Lewis who is scared of the ball and going forward.

Norwich here. This seems strange as Lewis and Aarons were / are great in an attacking sense for us. Maybe the tactics Toon use? Not great at crosses though

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

If we attack like we did v. Brentford that'll surely be enough - Krul is hopeless and flaps at everything. Hopefully he chucks a load in his own net and doesn't have a Spurs like blinder that he did for us in 13/14.

 

 

 

Norwich here. 'Hopeless and flaps at everything' is as far from our experience of Tim Krul as imaginable. He has conceded buckets this season as under Farke we were defensively inept, but even in the last 3 games (WWD) his saves kept us in it. He did have an occasional habit of playing suicide passes when we played out from the back, but that has now been dropped in favour of him getting the ball further up the pitch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Nobody locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...