Newcastle United 1 - 1 Norwich City (30/11/2021)

Yorkie

Guest reefatoon
2 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

He was also on the pitch for 80 minutes.

People underestimate how difficult it is to get up to speed after being thrown on with 10/15 minutes to go. Especially if you’ve played no football all season.

He’s played in most games hasn’t he? 

I still think we can escape the drop to be honest. There’s enough in this squad and management team to see us through it.

Considering the circumstances a point is OK of course but I do think that we started a bit slow today to be honest (before Clark’s brain fart). Was expecting to be at them from the off, pressing and hassling. IMO we were a bit too cautious, even after the red card to be honest. Norwich didn’t threaten much and I felt like we were way too deep kicking it long too often to no one.

Actually thought there was a shade of Darlow to Dubravka’s game today which did worry me a bit. Didn’t cover himself in glory for the moment leading up to their goal and kicked a few balls straight out of play. Redeemed himself after Schär’s howler though. 

A bitter pill to swallow this though. We would’ve won 11 v 11 I feel, and probably could have won had we been a bit more adventurous 10 v 11. Two points lost at a stage where we really can’t lose them. I have faith that Eddie’s a fast learner though and we will beat Burnley this weekend and have a shock result or three before January. 

3 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

He was also on the pitch for 80 minutes.

People underestimate how difficult it is to get up to speed after being thrown on with 10/15 minutes to go. Especially if you’ve played no football all season.

Hasn’t he featured in nearly every game so far?

1 minute ago, Tiresias said:

We are literally breaking records for how far through a season with so few points and without wins. Nobody has stayed up from the position we're in.

And some people seem to think it’s a fluke we’re down there and we’ll be fine :lol: Does my tits in.

2 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

The ball was already out of play wasn’t it when the step happened? If not it must have been pretty close.

Might have been actually, but where was the booking for their player who did it then? Just cause the ball is out of play doesn't mean you can do whatever you want. 

Yeah, maybe its this new found optimism i’ve got post Ashley/Bruce but I still feel like we can squeak survival. Norwich looked awful and we were the better side with 10 men. We can score goals, just need to tighten up at the back. The back 4 that finished today is our best defence. 

7 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Couldn’t believe hearing the booing at the end. Fucking morons.

I just assumed it was Norwich fans unhappy with something. It was actually our lot? Unless they were booing Clark specifically they can all fuck right off. Weapons. 

Hmm. Interesting one that. I think players rating trite on night's like these because we've basically got one idiot and 10 men. 

Pros 

- The fight among the group after suffering a setback. Joelinton typified that for me. Won't have a bad word said about him. 

- Even with 10 men we managed to create the odd half chance. 

- Lewis and Fernandez came in and showed a marked improvement on Ritchie and Clark/Lascelles.

Cons 

- Ciaran Clark. He simply can't play for us. I don't care if it's form or ability he's playing at a mid-table Championship level. 

- We've basically been undone by one moment of brilliance which is why we're on 7 points and not 17. 

- Another winnable game gone. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

Hayden was brought on to be a steady head and keep it tidy. He was awful. 

Every decision a manager makes carries a risk and potential reward. He brought his defensive substitute on to perform a defensive task. Unfortunately the player didn't do the job well enough. Unfortunately we don't have any quality options so the risk is heightened, but given how gassed the players were we needed to bring on a defensive player. 

Edited by Lenny

Guest neesy111

Actually thought we played decently considering the circumstances.

After Clark went off that's our best backline.  Far more balanced.

Just now, christ said:

And some people seem to think it’s a fluke we’re down there and we’ll be fine :lol: Does my tits in.

Nobody is saying that? That's just the way you interpret it for some weird reason. I think you'll find most people saying they "think" or "feel" we can stay up, but recognising that it will be difficult, that it requires investment in the squad in January and so on, but that there's been good signs since Howe came in that an escape is possible.

Fernandez and Lewis 100% have to start against Burnley. Both were for the most part outstanding tonight.

Clark should never play for us again. Even before his 2 mistakes he looked like he was bricking it. He's not up to it and should be shipped out in January.

Just now, Ben said:

Same with Shelvey, I think over the next few games Howe will end up with the only 11 players worthy of a shirt.

It does pain me to say it, but he has looked better.  

Hope he can keep it up and not revert to type cos he can obviously play but attitude has been the issue.

Waiting in car due to traffic.  We battled and deserved to win.  Lewis was superb today.  Stick with that back 4 and build.

Think we will go down  unless our luck changes.  Clark, never use again   9 mins in man, insane.