Newcastle United 1 - 1 Norwich City (30/11/2021)

Yorkie

1 hour ago, Dokko said:

Clearest pen ive seen in a while. It had to be for it to be given for us.

I was gobsmacked at how much effort our players had to put in to getting the ref just check it on VAR.

Just now, Dr.Spaceman said:

Fair enough, but it was still a weird mixture of random hoofs to nobody, flick ons with nobody running in behind, and we were quite static when we tried to keep the ball on the deck.

I don't disagree that it looked awful, but we still have an extremely unfit team so I can't be too harsh given the circumstances.

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Fair enough, but it was still a weird mixture of random hoofs to nobody, flick ons with nobody running in behind, and we were quite static when we tried to keep the ball on the deck.

Very much so. Playing it out from the back was painful with nobody coming short to make passing options or space for players up top.

For anyone slamming Howe for playing Clarke & Ritchie, this works both ways. I never wanted to see Shelvey again after his sending off, and we'd all seen how pathetic Joelinton had been for pretty much his entire time here before the last couple of games. Lewis had never had a solitary good performance for us that I can remember; he always looked like a 15-year old playing against men.

This is what happens when someone new comes in. They have ideas and beliefs some of which will be proven wrong but you expect they'll learn from quickly. Even world class managers need this time to figure things out - see Conte.

1 minute ago, hakka said:

Very much so. Playing it out from the back was painful with nobody coming short to make passing options or space for players up top.

It looked like we opted to try and keep shape more than anything else, which is pretty understandable for such a long stint with 10.

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

He’s the epitome of a neat and tidy, but kind of nothing player for me, he should have been far more dominant against ten men, compare and contrast to say Gallagher at Palace, chalk and cheese, I know who I’d rather have. He’s Colback, with energy and a better first touch. 

Completely different types of midfielders performing different roles though. They’d probably make a really good pairing. 

Just now, The Butcher said:

45 pages and counting for a match thread.

People care again:aww:

Last night actually knocked the wind out of my sails, which is a first for absolutely ages.

It's bittersweet, I'm happy the club is at least now trying to be a normal football club, but unfortunately everything is going tits up around us and it seems almost inescapable relegation.

But we (mostly) all said that we would take relegation if it meant the back of Ashley. So I'll sit and take my medicine and support them through this new era.

1 hour ago, Inferior Acuña said:

He said its award by VAR was 'pathetic' :lol:

I'm generally anti-VAR and anti-dishing out pens for the ball hitting arms. But that's about the shittest example you can use to make that point, his arm's right up above his head.

And what about the absolute stone wall pen on Joelinton early in the second half?

I honestly try not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I am beginning to wonder if there's a bit of an agenda against us. Every 50/50 foul didn't seem to go our way, yet go their way. Or am I just being a fanny?

4 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

It looked like we opted to try and keep shape more than anything else, which is pretty understandable for such a long stint with 10.

It led to us losing possession from hopeless balls forward, and we did it before the sending off, all be it that's a short time frame to judge. But yeah agree keeping shape is important, just felt like we invited pressure from not being able to link defence to attack a little better.

1 minute ago, TheGuv said:

And what about the absolute stone wall pen on Joelinton early in the second half?

I honestly try not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I am beginning to wonder if there's a bit of an agenda against us. Every 50/50 foul didn't seem to go our way, yet go their way. Or am I just being a fanny?

The length of time it took for the absolute stonewall penalty to be given was concerning me. Like they were looking for anything they could find as a reason not to give it. 

3 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

The one on Joelinton was outside the box. 

Just now, hakka said:

It led to us losing possession from hopeless balls forward, and we did it before the sending off, all be it that's a short time frame to judge. But yeah agree keeping shape is important, just felt like we invited pressure from not being able to link defence to attack a little better.

That's the trade off, though, isn't it? If you start being fluid in shape, it should theoretically make it easier for the other team to get through if you turn the ball over with their man over.

Just seemed like we felt their weakest threat was to lob in crosses so we closed the space off in the middle and have players close enough to eachother to be able to break. At the time, I quite wanted us to play 4-4-1 to keep Maxi on the left, but it would've probably just isolated Wilson a lot.

19 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

45 pages and counting for a match thread.

People care again:aww:

For comparison below. From February 2020. Same opposition, grand total of 12 pages, 289 replies and most of them  were people who didnt watch the game. Posts in there were almost same as this one too. :lol:

And just to add on. Our opposition this weekend, we already played them earlier this season, albeit in the League cup. Thread only lasted 9 pages, 220 replies including for a penalty shootout. 

Edited by nufcjb

8 minutes ago, alexf said:

The length of time it took for the absolute stonewall penalty to be given was concerning me. Like they were looking for anything they could find as a reason not to give it. 

To be fair, the Leeds one took as long, and that was even more obvious.

Guest reefatoon
45 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Last night actually knocked the wind out of my sails, which is a first for absolutely ages.

It's bittersweet, I'm happy the club is at least now trying to be a normal football club, but unfortunately everything is going tits up around us and it seems almost inescapable relegation.

But we (mostly) all said that we would take relegation if it meant the back of Ashley. So I'll sit and take my medicine and support them through this new era.

It’s nice having those sails back up in the first place though hey. Instead of them tattered in the sea, dragging along behind the boat of doom.

7 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

It’s nice having those sails back up in the first place though hey. Instead of them tattered in the sea, dragging along behind the boat of doom.

Very true.

The very fact people couldn't even muster the energy to watch us on TV, talk about the football, Willingly wanting us to lose was just so fucking unhealthy (me most definitely included)

I can accept being relegated, playing shit etc. if I at least know the club is trying to be a better version of itself. 

It feels nice just being a football fan again.

Guest neesy111
7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Was there booing at full time?

Yes, quite a bit.  I suspect the some idiots that wanted dubs to not time waste for last 5-10 mins despite players being shattered.

Guest neesy111
5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Yep. :anguish:

With everything that's happened it's been easy to forget that there's still a very big arsehole percentage at SJP. 

Couldn't believe what I heard.

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

I don't disagree that it looked awful, but we still have an extremely unfit team so I can't be too harsh given the circumstances.

The refs will be told only to give decisions if they are clear cut. Anything else no dice.