Newcastle United vs. Burnley: 4/12/21 @ 15:00 (No UK TV)

HaydnNUFC

Howe has to stick with the back 4 that finished the game tonight as they were solid whilst defending for 81+ minutes. Lascelles despite being club captain should not start. Matt Ritchie should not start.

Anyway, reasons to be optimistic;

The defensive performance tonight.

Commitment of the players.

Burnley put out a strong team when they won in the League Cup on pens and they were dreadful.

Burnley are the only team we've kept a clean sheet against, even though we lost on pens.

Should we contrive to win this, with Watford playing Chelsea at home tomorrow and Man City at home after this game at 17:30, we could well be only 3 points from safety.

Reasons to be pessimistic;

We're yet to win a game.

Team selection for this is huge and he has to get it right.

Howe's record v Burnley is shocking.

Coming back from uni for this. HTL.

Just like Brentford and Norwich, this is another must win.

We'll need a minimum of 9 wins in our last 24, goes without saying this needs to be one. If we dont win, i think even the most optimistic fan will have to accept defeat.

Think we'll sneak it, 3-2. Pretty much impossible to see us keeping a clean sheet.

Would like to see Almiron in the 10, with Joelinton going back out wide. However, at the same time, I’d like to see Fraser a bit further forward when we have a chance of getting on the ball more and we’re at home. 

Not seen much of Fraser as an attacking force under Howe. But in the few chances he has got. I have been impressed. 

We’ve played a different formation and juggled players and positions about a bit so far. I know Norwich were utter shite and it is hard to judge 10 v 11. But for the players we have. It feels like the 4-2-3-1 is the way we go. Mainly using the players from last night after Clark was sent off. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

I would also go with the same 11 minus Clark who should never play for us again. 

Moving forward I still feel the two man midfield is Wilock and Shelvey will bite us when we play against any sides who have a remotely competent attack. 

These will be better than Norwich remember that , a tough tough game .

Players had a tougher game than planned last night, I can see 1-1 again or 0-0 .

I can’t see us winning sorry , we have to simple as that no ifs or buts we have to win , anyway possible , I will be there not booing .

10 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I would also go with the same 11 minus Clark who should never play for us again. 

Moving forward I still feel the two man midfield is Wilock and Shelvey will bite us when we play against any sides who have a remotely competent attack. 

Tend to agree about the midfield two. But at the same time. I don’t really get the clamour to replace Willock with Longstaff, Hayden or Hendrick. 

It would be great if the latter could show improvement under Howe, as some other players have. He certainly needs too. But the others don’t look up to much. In their cameos under Howe/Tindall so far, it’s easy to see why they’re not starting. 

Edited by Lush Vlad
Half asleep when typing it out

1 minute ago, Lush Vlad said:

Tend to agree about the midfield two. But at the same time. I don’t really get the clamour to replace Willock with Longstaff, Hayden or Hendrick. 

It would be great of the latter could show improvement under Howe, as some other players have. He certainly needs two. But the others don’t look up too much. In their cameos under Howe/Tindall so far. It’s easy to see why they’re not starting. 

Great point, it an area of the pitch we have been weak in for a long time. 

I just worry about the balance of it and leaving space in front of the centre of defence behind your midfield is just asking for it at this level. 

Our luck surely has to turn, we will beat these. Howe needs to keep the same team, however, with Fraser or Almiron starting.

This lot are bobbins as well, they haven't won a game on the road all season, but they do grind out a lot of draws.

Cornet has given them an extra dimension as they actually have a threat in behind now, teams can't play as high up the pitch against them.

No silly individual errors and we should win, I know I'm asking a lot though.

I feel broken from the Norwich game. Just feels like something will always fuck up at moment. Genuinely thought last night was our moment to kick on. 

I still believe we can beat Burnley, just hope we can have a fair crack at them.

Dubravka

Manquillo Schar Fernandez Lewis

Shelvey Willock

Fraser Joelinton Saint-Max

Wilson

Think the only spot that should be up for debate (fatigue permitting) is Willock’s. Might be time to unleash Joff Hondrick.

If nowt else, Fraser will be fresh and he’s clearly ahead of Miggy atm. If he doesn’t perform here, then hopefully we see that change with Joelinton moving back to RM.

Did we seem to be missing any leadership last night to anyone? Not from where I was sat. As such, there’s no case for Lascelles or Ritchie to come back in.

Just wondering what can go wrong for this match :bluestar:

a) ASM's knee explodes

b) Wilson falls down the training ground bore hole

c) Dubs contracts a severe fungal infection at the exercise4less changing room after training

So fucking frustrating that, on the basis of last night at least, Hayden has turned to utter bobbins. Yet another massive loser from the Bruce era. We desperately need a bit of steel in there atm cos it doesn't come naturally to either Shelvey or Willock. Hendrick's a joke - would sooner put Joelinton at CDM than that apparition. 

Burnley aren't that much better than Norwich. There's a reason they're behind them in the table and only a couple of points ahead of us.

Cornet and aside, they've been turgid. Providing we don't shoot ourselves in the foot its as good a chance as any to put points on the board.