Newcastle United vs. Burnley: 4/12/21 @ 15:00 (No UK TV)

HaydnNUFC

Yeah tbh I wouldn't be mad about Lascelles over Schar, especially against Burnley.

I do think that Schar may be one of the first names on Howe's team sheet though, being that he likes to play a more posession based game. 

34 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

I do think that Schar may be one of the first names on Howe's team sheet though, being that he likes to play a more posession based game. 

Which should make Lascelles one of the first names off the team sheet, then?

I think he really likes Ritchie, has a soft spot for him.  

I can’t see that being a change with Lewis  (not saying I would do the same)

I think he will keep Fernandez in (with Lascelles replacing schar) 

This change ….because of Schars fitness / niggles (he went down a few times v Norwich and looked leggy in the last 20 mins) which is expected due to nearly a year without playing in the first team 

I probably would like to see Murphy replace Fraser but that’s just me 

37 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Which should make Lascelles one of the first names off the team sheet, then?

Good point. It would also make the fact that Howe picked Clarke even more baffling, considering that Clarke is probably the worst CB in the league for hoofing it down the line to nobody/out of play.

Playing devil's advocate maybe he wants one ball playing defender (Schar) next to an enforcer (Lascelles).

You have to remember that Eddie's still learning about these players, he has to pick as he sees in training, but with the added knowledge of what he sees in real game play.

Going on that Clark should never play again - unless really needed. The same could be said for others.

But generally as I saw it (via Amazon) the back 4 should remain as is.

Willock looked a bit a sea, then he got a talking to, and suddenly burst into life - perhaps this was the 'wake' up moment.

Going forward, I'd have fraser in, wasn't his fault to be sub'd - you actually saw him say so as he was walking off - and he'll be fresh.

Wilson up front, with Joe, ASM and Miggy.

Eddie Howe must have watched videos of us playing, and he must have seen just how sub standard Clark is in everything he does. Yes, he tries hard, but his best is only suitable to a league below the one he is in...

Manquillo   Schar   Fernandez   Lewis

These lot played the best we have seen for a while, why on earth would we put Lascelles or Clark back in when both have looked absolute mince for a long time....

41 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

I think he really likes Ritchie, has a soft spot for him.  

Just come into a new club - he knows what Ritchie can do (or could do, in the old days) and trusts his character. He is also the only thing resembling a set piece taker (Shelvey does not count).

I thought Lewis did reasonably well and probably deserves to retain his place, but I can understand Howe’s thinking.

If he has to play, I’d rather in place of Fraser than Lewis, but that’s a whole other can of worms

2 hours ago, Raconteur said:

A lot of people going with Schar over Lascelles, and I'm not sure why. Schar is magnificent on the ball, but he's got at least a rick per game in him. Lascelles, with Dubravka and Fernandez, give us a solid organisational base.

Agree, especially against a team with a big physical striker. Lascelles and Fernandez might make more sense. 

Guest neesy111

Lascelles is almost a liability every game though as well.  Shit state of affairs.

Do get that logic though vs burnley.

Edited by neesy111

Wouldn't mind seeing the 343 again but not sure if I trust Lascelles in there but might come back in anyway, would put Lewis and Manquillo as proper wingback like has been said. That formation really seemed to suit certain players.

Please just fucking win, man. I was convinced we were going beat Brentford, then I was definitely convinced we were going to beat Norwich. Trying to convince myself we going to lose, which shouldn't be too hard given the current league table :lol:

Due some luck though, hopefully an atomsphere like the Brentford/Norwich games.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Calling it a 3-4-3 is very generous :lol:

Not so sure about that.

New-vs-Bren_page-0003-scaled.jpg

Vs Brentford. Bear in mind that we switched to a flat back four at some point in the second half so the wing back average position is affected. Murphy and Ritchie’s position was in advance of the two midfielders. It was definitely not a 5 imo.

It’s the only formation we can play that allows ASM to sack off defending.

Edited by Smal

I wouldn't be too against Ritchie coming back into the team, just not as a wing back.

He is way too slow and gets caught out of position too often.

If we play with Lewis LWB and Ritchie ahead of him I think we are OK.

6 minutes ago, pinkeye said:

I wouldn't be too against Ritchie coming back into the team, just not as a wing back.

He is way too slow and gets caught out of position too often.

If we play with Lewis LWB and Ritchie ahead of him I think we are OK.

What would happen to ASM?