Liverpool FC v Newcastle United - 16/12/21 8pm (BT Sports)

Raconteur

Just now, South-Cheshire-Toon said:

The thing is that he can't play too much of a defensive line up for the simple fact that it would be like the first 10 games we've played this season - backs to the wall and trying to hit them on the break, issue here is that we'd lose the ball midfield, and with too many people going forward then we'd be open to a 'right fucking'.

So he's got to balance the defensive side of things with the possibility of having some sort of attacking prospect in the line up as well.

So for me, I'd go with a 3-5-1-1 sort of formation, 

Dubs

Manq Schär Lascelles

fraser or murphy    Hayden   Shelvey    willock    ritchie or Almiron

Joelinton

Wilson 

With Fraser, Shelvey and Ritchie being able to drop back 'if needed' - like all the time.

Let's see what happens. Fancying 3-1 to them.

I like the idea of trying Almiron at wingback, but I don't know if Salah and TAA is the best first test. For the same reason, Ritchie simply cannot play at wingback against Liverpool

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

While most of us see it as a damage limitation exercise, Howe doesn't. I just hope after the first few goals Liverpool take their foot of the gas and conserve energy for the busy fixture list ahead.

Just looking at their next set of fixtures, hmm, doesn't bode well for us tonight - I think Klippty Klopp will put out a very strong team - 

Sunday 19th December  PREMIER LEAGUE  Tottenham Hotspur16:30Liverpool

Wednesday 22nd December  EFL CUP  Liverpool19:45Leicester City

Sunday 26th December  PREMIER LEAGUE  Liverpool12:30Leeds United

Tuesday 28th December  PREMIER LEAGUE  Leicester City20:00Liverpool

So looking at those fixtures - spurs and leicester are rampaged by covid at present - so he'll put out his 3rd team for them, and put out the 4th team for the leeds game, and they'll all be 4-0 wins. :lol:

As the first fixture in Jan is Chelsea away, when all first team members will be fully rested.

5 minutes ago, South-Cheshire-Toon said:

Just looking at their next set of fixtures, hmm, doesn't bode well for us tonight - I think Klippty Klopp will put out a very strong team - 

Sunday 19th December  PREMIER LEAGUE  Tottenham Hotspur16:30Liverpool

Wednesday 22nd December  EFL CUP  Liverpool19:45Leicester City

Sunday 26th December  PREMIER LEAGUE  Liverpool12:30Leeds United

Tuesday 28th December  PREMIER LEAGUE  Leicester City20:00Liverpool

So looking at those fixtures - spurs and leicester are rampaged by covid at present - so he'll put out his 3rd team for them, and put out the 4th team for the leeds game, and they'll all be 4-0 wins. :lol:

As the first fixture in Jan is Chelsea away, when all first team members will be fully rested.

There's no way he's resting players for that Spurs game like.

Our away fixtures away to the top sides are just fucking miserable, aren't they? Literally don't think I have ever predicted us getting a positive result at Anfield, the Emirates, Stamford Bridge. I'll be surprised if we reduce this lot to less than 3 tonight; hopefully they'll take their foot off the gas once the game is won. Only way it won't be a total embarrassment. 

Makes me sick to my stomach that that fucking wanker squeezed a point out of this game last season. :lol:

11 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Our away fixtures away to the top sides are just fucking miserable, aren't they? Literally don't think I have ever predicted us getting a positive result at Anfield, the Emirates, Stamford Bridge. I'll be surprised if we reduce this lot to less than 3 tonight; hopefully they'll take their foot off the gas once the game is won. Only way it won't be a total embarrassment. 

Makes me sick to my stomach that that fucking wanker squeezed a point out of this game last season. :lol:

It defies all logic that he somehow kept is in the league last year. I know the bottom three were particularly bad, but we still hit 40+ points.

Hayden at CB, Ritchie and Murphy at FB, Clark and Krafth playing regularly, etc. Then Howe comes in and is instantly punished for similar selections.

42 minutes ago, Raconteur said:

I like the idea of trying Almiron at wingback, but I don't know if Salah and TAA is the best first test. For the same reason, Ritchie simply cannot play at wingback against Liverpool

Playing forwards at wing back hasn't worked out at all well for us so far, Murphy and Ritchie were regularly at fault for goals earlier this season, I don't think it will be a good idea to experiment further. I'd prefer a 4-5-1 formation with three midfielders and either Fraser or Max supporting Wilson. Hayden in to give some defensive cover and proper full backs in Lewis and Manquillo/Krafth.

In our 1988-89 relegation season, I remember we shocked everyone by winning 1-2 at Anfield with Mirandhina scoring the winner then running behind the goal kissing the badge in front of the Kop. No-one expected that at the time.  Would'nt it be great if our new Brazilian was to reprise that role only this time we don't get relegated.  

Just now, TRon said:

Playing forwards at wing back hasn't worked out at all well for us so far, Murphy and Ritchie were regularly at fault for goals earlier this season, I don't think it will be a good idea to experiment further. I'd prefer a 4-5-1 formation with three midfielders and either Fraser or Max supporting Wilson. Hayden in to give some defensive cover and proper full backs in Lewis and Manquillo/Krafth.

Absolutely; the team I started this thread with was a 4-5-1/4-3-3 - however, Eddie seems fond of three at the back :undecided:

Guest reefatoon
5 minutes ago, Doug said:

In our 1988-89 relegation season, I remember we shocked everyone by winning 1-2 at Anfield with Mirandhina scoring the winner then running behind the goal kissing the badge in front of the Kop. No-one expected that at the time.  Would'nt it be great if our new Brazilian was to reprise that role only this time we don't get relegated.  

I remember that. He wasn’t just kissing the badge, he was giving the two fingers to the kop too. Full gusto with both hands [emoji38]

Edited by reefatoon

2 minutes ago, Raconteur said:

Absolutely; the team I started this thread with was a 4-5-1/4-3-3 - however, Eddie seems fond of three at the back :undecided:

To be fair Liverpool are not a big side so we aren't likely to get murdered at the back post like we would against a more physical team, but I still think you need proper defenders against a team of that quality.

I'm not sure I can even bring myself to watch the carnage ensue and I've watched every game from Howe so far. I think we'll make a good first of it, might even be the best we've played all season as players step up their game against a demonstrably top side, but they've just got too much in every department vs us. 

23 minutes ago, frankpingel said:

Trying not to think of this happening tonight. We're so far off offering a threat to them. I'm keeping my long term hope but watching the likes of Lascelles Shelvey ect is so frustrating.

Like sleeping with your current mrs knowing it’s possible to attract Megan Fox now.

She’ll still lazily tickle your balls, but you know it’s not quite right and there are better things to come.

As good as Liverpool are, they crumble when VVD isn't there, it just goes to show that in order to play that slick attacking football you need a total rock at the back (or two) to give that confidence. The only player we've ever had which could be described as that (in the modern era) was Woodgate, however all around him were a calamity.

Rafa turned us into a well drilled outfit rapid on the counter but man for man such a poor team, makes the job he did here all the more remarkable.

We've been having more of the ball, actually 50% against Leicester but we give the ball away so poorly in almost all areas that we're sitting sucks. Decision making is something the manager will have to work on.

Like ASM (who needs a rest btw) gets dispossessed so often in the middle of the opposition half, just tries too much all the time. Skip past someone grand, but if there's no great option to continue a run, just keep the ball, play a simple pass. It's why Ritchie or Murphy should play there tonight.

Rest ASM sporadically between now and New Year, unleash him when there's some competent defenders around and a proper holding midfielder, we see a totally different player imho