Crypto/NFT/Fan Tokens in Football

GeordieDazzler

Oh, yes. Sorry

I have a few examples, but the one most relevant to me right now is gaming. 

I play a fantasy football game: https://sorare.com/

The idea is that you purchase players (who are NFTs) that score points and earn you prizes. The players you own are on the blockchain so have utility outside the game.

Examples of this is other games have sprung up that leverage the same NFT, eg: SorareMega, SorareData, etc

Happy to go into more detail on SoRare, because I think its a game changer fantasy game. Already have many leagues licensed, and strong rumours that EPL is incoming.

Taking this example to a more known game, like Fifa 

Imagine:

- The players you had on Fifa had limited supply, eg: There were only 1000 Haaland or Mbappe. 

- You could buy/sell your players on an open market

- You could use the same player year after year, even if the game updates (instead of having to start again, year after year and losing your progress)

- The players you purchase would have utility or collectability in the game, but also beyond the game.

- Game developers could use the NFT to create games outside of Fifa, because it sits on an open blockchain (the real magic)

I think this would be a great example of how you could actually "Own" something digital, to enhance the playing experience.

Ultimately, all an NFT is - is technology that allows you to prove you own a digital asset. 

When you boil it down to its core, its fundamental technology in a digital age. 

What made NFTs famous is selling digital art for obscene sums. But the concept could be used so many different ways.

Gaming being only one of them.

Others which are work in progress are:

- Authentication,

- Digital Identity,

- Academic credentials,

- Tickets (for both physical and digital events), etc

Hope this helps.

Go easy on me please :P

Edit:

One idea I like using NFTs for is digital publishing. You write content, you prove you own it, and prevent plagiarism. Also preventing Fake News etc

Edited by arnonel

NFT's can literally be anything.

It could someones health data - data on traffic flow - Chris Wood's xG across a season, The Office quotes. In the next few years we are gonna see some amazing innovative uses of them.

Its just unfortunate that someone thought that selling stupid pics would be the best way to showcase the technology especially as theres no copyright or IP protection, ie you can literally right click and save on an NFT pic.

2 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

NFT's can literally be anything.

It could someones health data - data on traffic flow - Chris Wood's xG across a season, The Office quotes. In the next few years we are gonna see some amazing innovative uses of them.

Its just unfortunate that someone thought that selling stupid pics would be the best way to showcase the technology especially as theres no copyright or IP protection, ie you can literally right click and save on an NFT pic.

This is an EXCELLENT video that debates this topic. Worth a watch

Why you can't just screenshot an NFT - YouTube

Guest neesy111
17 minutes ago, arnonel said:

Oh, yes. Sorry

The idea is that you purchase players (who are NFTs) that score points and earn you prizes. The players you own are on the blockchain so have utility outside the game.

Examples of this is other games have sprung up that leverage the same NFT, eg: SorareMega, SorareData, etc

Happy to go into more detail on SoRare, because I think its a game changer fantasy game. Already have many leagues licensed, and strong rumours that EPL is incoming.

Imagine:

- The players you had on Fifa had limited supply, eg: There were only 1000 Haaland or Mbappe. 

- You could use the same player year after year, even if the game updates (instead of having to start again, year after year and losing your progress)

- The players you purchase would have utility or collectability in the game, but also beyond the game.

- Game developers could use the NFT to create games outside of Fifa, because it sits on an open blockchain (the real magic)

I think this would be a great example of how you could actually "Own" something digital, to enhance the playing experience.

Ultimately, all an NFT is - is technology that allows you to prove you own a digital asset. 

What made NFTs famous is selling digital art for obscene sums. But the concept could be used so many different ways.

- Authentication,

- Digital Identity,

- Academic credentials,

Hope this helps.

Edit:

One idea I like using NFTs for is digital publishing. You write content, you prove you own it, and prevent plagiarism. Also preventing Fake News etc

Your talking about Blockchain in most of that, not NFT's.

Guest neesy111

No, they exist on a blockchain.  They aren't built on blockchain that's where it's stored and verified via the public ledger on blockchain.

9 minutes ago, enthusiast said:

i was joking, it's all actually a huge, expensive bag-of-wank solution in search of a problem.

Dont agree.

The problem that it solves is proving ownership of something digital.

In a digital age, you have to wonder why its taken so long for a solution to become readily available.

21 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

No, they exist on a blockchain.  They aren't built on blockchain that's where it's stored and verified via the public ledger on blockchain.

Semantics

If you build dApps, its not just a "link to a jpeg"

10 hours ago, arnonel said:

Oh, yes. Sorry

Imagine:

- Authentication,

- Digital Identity,

- Academic credentials,

Hope this helps.

Edit:

Thanks. I get the idea of the number of specific players in a particular online game. 

What I don't get is the stuff that John Terry was punting and even more the concept that Owen was doing the same with, where you acquire something then it essentially has no value unless someone is willing to give you a profit on it. Then to them it has no value until someone else is willing to do the same. Just seems like an easy way of parting a fool from their money. 

3 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Thanks. I get the idea of the number of specific players in a particular online game. 

What I don't get is the stuff that John Terry was punting and even more the concept that Owen was doing the same with, where you acquire something then it essentially has no value unless someone is willing to give you a profit on it. Then to them it has no value until someone else is willing to do the same. Just seems like an easy way of parting a fool from their money. 

100% understand 

And I agree 

Watch this video. It's only 11min

9 minutes ago, arnonel said:

100% understand 

And I agree 

Watch this video. It's only 11min

Thanks I will do. 

My other complaint is that I'd actually like to see Owen who is presumably making money from this explain it to people. 

5 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Thanks I will do. 

My other complaint is that I'd actually like to see Owen who is presumably making money from this explain it to people. 

Won't tell you where I'd like to see Owen

😂

43 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Why you can't just screenshot an NFT...

You literally can  End :lol: 

I took a photo of the Mona Lisa

Guess that's worthless now too. I'll call the Louvre 

P.s.

This is why I try not to debate in this thread. It degenerates so quickly and becomes toxic

I'm out

As I understand it, a physical piece of created art has value inherently.  Taking a photo of it does not duplicate it.  Nor does a print fully duplicate a painting.  And nor does that "perfect copy" of that pencil drawing.

Digital art can literally be copied pixel for pixel.  Right click save and you have an exact duplicate of whatever image it is you were looking at.  And you cannot attach a value to it by using blockchain alongside the image.  All that does is create something that cannot be duplicated, but does not possess any artistic merit.  Just a unique piece of code.  You can't just say that adds value to digital art. 

If I could right click save the Mona Lisa and grab myself an exact replica, then yeah let the French know.

The only way I could see digital art originals holding greater value is if originals in their highest quality form were kept off the web. 

Edited by David Edgar

No.  Tell me where I am wrong.  

I get that the blockchain thing is unique, but that does nothing to make the original image unique.  If it was created digitally and uploaded at its native size, then it can literally be perfectly copied.  And so how does attaching a unique number to it assign any value?

Edited by David Edgar

It's pretty simple. You can just screenshot an NFT if you want the image. The screenshot image won't hold any value though unlike the original one with ownership on the Blockchain. 

The video loses sceptical viewers at the very outset by saying that we need to understand why we value art so highly to understand this subject. It's not true - art is valued because it's aesthetically appealing, and one of a kind, and you don't need to watch the rest of the video to have already established that NFTs are neither of the above. I'll watch it but the very first point it makes appears to be tangentially related at very best

'the actual drawing on the wall is not the artwork, the artwork is the certificate. Without the certificate the artwork has no value'

I mean, this is just demonstrably not the case and the whole video seems predicated on the idea that because actual art can be really expensive, it's cool for NFTs to be as well

I'm only halfway but I'm losing hope here :lol:

Edited by OpenC

In fact, fuck it. It's just a woman repeating the points that some dude in a sweater is making, but the dude appears to be dead wrong and it's not clear why he should be considered an authority on the apparent equivalence of actual art and monkey JPGs

I'm not trying be toxic like, but just because somebody says it's the same as paying big money for unique artwork don't make it so

Edited by OpenC