Crypto/NFT/Fan Tokens in Football

GeordieDazzler

Not a massive crypto nerd but atm it seems to basically be a vehicle to buy tack off the darkweb or to win/lose money on betting if a coin will rise. The latter is probably much more effective than sports betting tbf.

As actual currencies they are a long, long way off being even remotely useable like.

2 minutes ago, arnonel said:

Listen, I'm not here to educate the masses. I've been in this space for years and I believe  the web3 movement will be as big or bigger than web2. It's a pretty fundamental shift. And because it's still early and lacks regulation it will cause the dodge coin or crazy digital art auctions. Don't let that distract you from how much investment is going on.

The game I mentioned above led the largest investment round in Europe. 

Just yesterday Visa announced a 1B$ acquisition of a ripple partner.

Point fingers and laugh all you want. This ship is sailing 

Well yeah but do you think we're at a spot now where it should be within football?

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Not a massive crypto nerd but atm it seems to basically be a vehicle to buy tack off the darkweb or to win/lose money on betting if a coin will rise. The latter is probably much more effective than sports betting tbf.

As actual currencies they are a long, long way off being even remotely useable like.

Not true at all

Eg: do yourself a favour Google the digital pound

13 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

One thing I’ve really been missing from football is crypto culture tbh. Can’t wait for rocket emojis, buy the dip, HODL! Diamond hands, to the moon. I’m excited just thinking about it

Just waiting Elon Musk to start shitposting about Bradford City :lol:

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

Well yeah but do you think we're at a spot now where it should be within football?

Time will tell.

The pace of innovation in this space is staggering though. 

We will see many failures, but ultimately decentralisation is the future 

#FuckLateStageCapitalism

The way I've looked at Crypto and NFT's is that it's not really a replacement for currency as in the going to the shops and buy stuff. It just feels like a vehicle for speculation for the sake of speculation. In its own space I'm fine with that but the insidious idea of doing fan tokens etc I think is wrong. 

29 minutes ago, madras said:

Depends what you mean by control. Look at fractional reserve banking where most what we call money is credit and that's issued by banks etc.

Yep - no difference between most money and NFT's tbh.

Both are tradable virtual assets.

Just now, Lazarus said:

Yep - no difference between most money and NFT's tbh.

Both are tradable virtual assets.

NFTs aren't credit though, they are created aren't they ? 

Serious question as I know next to nowt about them.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

NFTs aren't credit though, they are created aren't they ? 

Serious question as I know next to nowt about them.

Not credit no - but i kinda meant more in the sense that theyre created out of thin air and tradable.

After listening to an online friends explanation of NFT's to me and why he was keen to invest 'early' I have to admit my normally skeptical/cynical approach to all things new has changed in no way beyond - what is this shit? and why should I care?

I'll caveat by saying my understanding may be tilited entirely towards the gaming industry and their approach to NFT's as he was the guy that explained everything to me but I can't see this becoming anything other than niche to fanboys and their interpretation of notonal value of the abstract.  To take a digital item which is easily reproduced and exists in a game/server and arbitrarily assign it a cash value that exists entirely in a world where it needs both buyer and seller to understand the niche to assign a value and determine current and future worth takes a 'special' kind of faith that said easily reproduced item wont be reproduced (hehe) and the environment it has value in still exists or you havent been banned from for other cancel culture events.  So not much to worry about there with your 'investment'

Looking at this youtube video can give a broader take on this subject relating to Ubisoft's latest attempt to be the fore-runner with this technology.

I'm in no way associated with this you tuber he was simply the guy that had a video that I thought may help my understanding of NFT's.

Edited by Divun Naa

Breaking the argument down a bit:

• Blockchain (decentralisation) as a category of technology is a really good thing
  • You can build lots of stuff on blockchain, including crypto currencies and NFTs
  • Digital Currency can be good and bad. Depends how you use it. Examples of good: Ripple/XRP. Examples of bad: DodgeCoin
  • NFTs can be good and bad. Examples of good: Items you can purchase in games, or football tickets. Examples of bad: Cyberpunk

Ultimately, it really depends how you use it. You cannot lump the entire space into the Dodecoin bucket. NFTs are a mechanism to prove ownership. This is good for various applications.

Now, back to whether this is good for football. I think it can be, but I think the OP post feels dangerous, and possibly a bad example. 

I believe in the future it will have a lot of utility in football in a good way though.

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

How is crypto anything to do with the undermining of capitalism lol? This is a common thing people say to justify what it actually is. So Elon musk pumping a worthless token is anti capitalist now? Gotcha. Even if you look at the very basic elements the price is controlled by whales I.e the richest, who dump their bags on the poorest. Doesn’t sound all that great to me .

There is just too much content to digest. I have been in this space for years, and still learning. If you dont get it, or think its all about DogeCoin/Elon, then I understand the scepticism. Just ask that you dont point fingers for things you do not understand. Rather go do some reading and then come back with a more compelling argument. 

As to my beliefs about taking control of my money and assets away from corrupt bankers. Those are my beliefs, and I dont use this to justify anything. Dont tell me what I can and cant believe. So many people believe in the decentralisation movement. I am one of them. 

Ill step away now before this debate degenerates even more. 

My point summarised: Blockchain/NFTS are good. NFTS in football can be good. I think the OP example feels like it could be bad. 

The problem with all this stuff is while I won't deny it's all an impressive use of technology, I'm yet to be directed to a genuine problem in the world that it's solving. The idea of 'decentralisation' being a positive is insane to me, as if getting market manipulated, hacked or scammed out of your money is better because at least it's by a faceless cryptobro online instead of corporate entities you can at least directly point a finger at.

I'd rather everyone was honest and admitted they're just looking to hit the next Bitcoin-style jackpot tbh.

Guest neesy111
57 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

An NFT would be bad as a football ticket. So you want to make it impossible for me to just give me my ticket to my mate if I can’t go? That sucks massively 

But it would stop touts etc for concerts etc...

the more I read about crpto/nft shit the more I'm of the belief that many in the world have lost their fucking minds, not surprising that football clubs/other corporate entities are looking to exploit it why leave stupid peoples money on the table for someone else to get. 

3 hours ago, arnonel said:

Breaking the argument down a bit:

• Blockchain (decentralisation) as a category of technology is a really good thing
  • You can build lots of stuff on blockchain, including crypto currencies and NFTs
  • Digital Currency can be good and bad. Depends how you use it. Examples of good: Ripple/XRP. Examples of bad: DodgeCoin
  • NFTs can be good and bad. Examples of good: Items you can purchase in games, or football tickets. Examples of bad: Cyberpunk

Ultimately, it really depends how you use it. You cannot lump the entire space into the Dodecoin bucket. NFTs are a mechanism to prove ownership. This is good for various applications.

Now, back to whether this is good for football. I think it can be, but I think the OP post feels dangerous, and possibly a bad example. 

I believe in the future it will have a lot of utility in football in a good way though.

I own quite a bit XRP and HBAR.

Here's to the future...

I wish we’d go back to direct barter 

I’ll give you a bushel of wheat if you give me a hand-job behind the bins. That kind of thing. 

Edited by LV