Crypto/NFT/Fan Tokens in Football

GeordieDazzler

I love how the reaction to the shorting of GameStop and the creation of the European Super League was done by people who are hugely and vocally antithetical to politics, let alone any kind of Marxist theory, yet there's apparently a movement of NFT advocates that think they're doing praxis. It's incredible.

52 minutes ago, kisearch said:

I love how the reaction to the shorting of GameStop and the creation of the European Super League was done by people who are hugely and vocally antithetical to politics, let alone any kind of Marxist theory, yet there's apparently a movement of NFT advocates that think they're doing praxis. It's incredible.

Under normal circumstances I'd agree but we now live in a world where simping has become normalised so all bets are off when it comes to rational decision making.  If anyone had told me such things would exist 15-20 years ago I'd have laughed in their face.

2 hours ago, Divun Naa said:

Under normal circumstances I'd agree but we now live in a world where simping has become normalised so all bets are off when it comes to rational decision making.  If anyone had told me such things would exist 15-20 years ago I'd have laughed in their face.

I don't think we're disagreeing here, the world's gone absolutely mad. Just think it's so funny that the people who are completely against politics and any kind of Marxist influenced praxis are the ones who were unknowingly much closer to doing it in the interests of 'fairness' (while admittedly simping for hypercapitalists like Musk) than the NFTers who think they're doing it but aren't.

Fair play to anyone who can pick any of this apart and make any sense of it because there are so many things happening in all of these different realms that are completely contradictory, even on a personal level.

1 hour ago, kisearch said:

Fair play to anyone who can pick any of this apart and make any sense of it because there are so many things happening in all of these different realms that are completely contradictory, even on a personal level.

:thup: to this in particular

2 hours ago, kisearch said:

I don't think we're disagreeing here, the world's gone absolutely mad. Just think it's so funny that the people who are completely against politics and any kind of Marxist influenced praxis are the ones who were unknowingly much closer to doing it in the interests of 'fairness' (while admittedly simping for hypercapitalists like Musk) than the NFTers who think they're doing it but aren't.

It isn’t that weird, the praxis cult are naturally suited toward advocating for enormous abstract solutions to otherwise easily solvable problems on the basis of dogma. This is a modernity where your Marxist vanguard consists of the trust fund sons of somebody dudebros like ‘fully automated luxury communism’ sarkar or bastani or some tech nerd on twitch. If you hold to the fallacies of historical materialism and the labour theory of value, then NFTs are another nail for your hammer. 

Edited by Billy Pilgrim

22 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

It isn’t that weird, the praxis cult are naturally suited toward advocating for enormous abstract solutions to otherwise easily solvable problems on the basis of dogma. This is a modernity where your Marxist vanguard consists of the trust fund sons of somebody dudebros like ‘fully automated luxury communism’ sarkar or bastani or some tech nerd on twitch. If you hold to the fallacies of historical materialism and the labour theory of value, then NFTs are another nail for your hammer. 

Not really sure what you're saying here tbh 🤔

6 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

NFTs are exactly suited to being pitched by Marxist gobshites 

I'm by no means their fans a lot of the time, but Bastani and Sakar don't see NFTs as some sort of anti-capitalist tool do they? I'd fucking hope they don't like. :lol:

Edited by kisearch
Grammar

9 minutes ago, kisearch said:

I'm by no means their fans a lot of the time, but Bastani and Sakar don't see NFTs as some sort of anti-capitalist tool do they? I'd fucking hope they don't like. :lol:

I just picked them as an example of the lazy gramsci crowd I don’t actually know what they think about NFTs. The point is the ideological justification for NFTs, both in a metaphysical and economic sense, is easily supportable by the big claims that orthodox Marxists make about the nature of material products and value. So while not every tech Marxist believes NFTs are great it is very easy to see why some have zero problems reconciling the inherently speculative nature of blockchain tech with the promise to fix the alienation of the producer from the produced product. 

TLDR; NFTs are mumbo jumbo, yeah you might get rich off them but that doesn’t mean they aren’t wack 

Edited by Billy Pilgrim

20 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I just picked them as an example of the lazy gramsci crowd I don’t actually know what they think about NFTs. The point is the ideological justification for NFTs, both in a metaphysical and economic sense, is easily supportable by the big claims that orthodox Marxists make about the nature of material products and value. So while not every tech Marxist believes NFTs are great it is very easy to see why some have zero problems reconciling the inherently speculative nature of blockchain tech with the promise to fix the alienation of the producer from the produced product. 

TLDR; NFTs are mumbo jumbo, yeah you might get rich off them but that doesn’t mean they aren’t wack 

I get what you're saying. I do think they're two distinct groups of people though. Those that genuinely ascribe to more Marxist views on capitalism and therefore think NFTs are mumbo jumbo for the reasons you've mentioned, then those that are invested in NFTs and are trying to reverse engineer Marxist theory that doesn't exist onto it and give it more social credance, a bit like how the silicon valley crowd all thought they were anti-establishment hippies, kicking it to the man, by becoming the man and the establishment. Admittedly the lines between those two groups probably blur in the middle though.

Crypto and NFTs have been sold as political protest because it's a great marketing angle. In reality, those banging the drum the loudest utter a lot of the same stuff that people who've made Herbalife or Avon successful. Get in early on this stuff and you may make a canny profit, but your success is built on the failures of others. 

9 hours ago, wormy said:

This is the first time I've ever actually bothered to search up this ape shit. Ended up on this Rolling Stone article and gave up reading after I reached double figures of consecutive paragraphs that just screamed nothing but 'cunts' at me. :lol:

That was one of the worst articles I’ve ever read. I managed six paragraphs. Couldn’t tell if the writer was an absolute freak or if they were intentionally trying to make the four creators sound like absolute losers. Disappointed that Stephen Curry got involved