Realistic Transfer Targets (2023/24)

joeyt

It’s really tough to know without knowing the sort of budget we’re playing with.

Under Ashley we knew we’d be dipping into bins, but it’s such an unknown at the moment. They could be looking to spend £50m or £200m.

That said, at least we know our transfer ‘budget’ won’t include the player’s wages for the duration of their contract, agent fees, flights, hotels etc.

The crazy thing is there is plenty of good options with an expiring contract - so we really don't have to spend £100M to see an instant improvement. Plenty of clubs will want to cash in on players who will go for free in the summer - plenty are good enough for us.

18 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

It's difficult to know what is realistic, our position in the table makes it so

I'm really looking forward to seeing what business we manage to do but I think the first window after it's confirmed we are a Premier League is when we'll really see big moves

Agree. The player recruitment plans have been thrown up in the air with the relegation battle, we are now having to buy players to secure our short term future as a PL club rather than building towards a European places push. 

January is never a good time to do business usually, but we don't really have much choice now. If we survive, should see a much better idea of our investment strategy in the summer. 

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

He wasn’t good enough according to most villa fans

I'd agree with the fans. Seems to have underwhelmed everywhere he's been in the last few years after looking like the next big thing when he first appeared on the scene. 

26 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

He was plenty good enough for Villa but he was injured a fair bit and that scuppered his move. 

He wasn't and you'll have to go a long way to find another 'muppet' who'd agree with this. ;) 

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

He wasn’t good enough according to most villa fans

Half of our fans rated Bruce and thought Ben Arfa was lazy ffs! 
I don’t know any Villa fans to ask them personally but I’m definitely not taking the opinions of fans of forums as gospel.

I’ve seen Barkley play with my own eyes, for Everton, Chelsea, Villa and England and we’re crying out for someone with his directness and creativity. 

I rate or rated Barkley, but his development has clearly been stunted by lack of regular games and he should have really just stayed at Everton. 

15 hours ago, Mikky said:

Having 2 capable full backs gives any team such a whole new dimension - defensively and offesivejy - would be 2 incredible signings 

Yeah agree, I've been banging on since we were taken over. It would be my first area to address. 

Lewis/Ritchie/Manquilo/Murphy. 

two of them aren't even natural fullbacks, converted wide players.

Hopefully these rumours are true 👍🏼

Based on all the other stuff, rumours, how much the budget could be etc, etc.

One thing I've noticed everytime Eddie is interviewed or pressers, he religiously says he's happy with the players he's got, and we may only need a couple if new faces, is that him indicating we're not spending big, or not buying six players, perhaps only two? :dontknow:

Edited by mighty__mag

2 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

One thing I've noticed everytime Eddie is interviewed or pressers, he religiously says he's happy with the players he's got, and we may only need a couple if new faces, is that him indicating we're not spending big, or not buying six players, perhaps only two? :dontknow:

It's been patently obvious that Howe is extremely considerate in his interviews. He always bigs up his players, and never undermines them publicly. This keeps morale high and team spirit strong. He (or Tindall) even said Darlow was good, right when everyone was begging for Dubs to come back.

I don't think he'd turn down 5 or 6 players if offered them, when we are fighting relegation and our best players are injured.

4 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

Yeah agree, I've been banging on since we were taken over. It would be my first area to address. 

Lewis/Ritchie/Manquilo/Murphy. 

two of them aren't even natural fullbacks, converted wide players.

Hopefully these rumours are true 👍🏼

Based on all the other stuff, rumours, how much the budget could be etc, etc.

well he now needs at least 3 , anything less and it’s a disastrous window , they need to be of a high standard too.