Realistic Transfer Targets (2023/24)

joeyt

22 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Do you not remember when we had him? 😂 absolute pony. 

Sadly not quite, I barely paid attention to us over the last few years. I did look atrocious for Watford mind from what I saw of him, I think he doesn’t have the appetite for football anymore, another wasted talent.

37 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Would anyone have Danny Rose back as a stop-gap LB for the season? I’ve always rated him, but it seems he has seriously let himself go from his prime Spurs days.

Fuck! No.

His legs can no longer cash the cheques his ego thinks they can.

Just now, Manxst said:

Not the highest priority right now. CB, CM, LB are higher, imo, now we’ve signed Wood 

I’d say right now, the priority should be a defensive midfielder, one that is mobile, athletic, can break up play, but also pass and who is tactically aware in terms of their position. 

2 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I’d say right now, the priority should be a defensive midfielder, one that is mobile, athletic, can break up play, but also pass and who is tactically aware in terms of their position. 

My thinking too. A creative player is down the list. 

16 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Not the highest priority right now. CB, CM, LB are higher, imo, now we’ve signed Wood 

Why not though? We've not been creating clear cut chances for Wilson and our midfielders aren't putting away any of the chances we do get...Willock last season should be case in point for the value of midfielders with an attacking threat. 

7 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Why not though? We've not been creating clear cut chances for Wilson and our midfielders aren't putting away any of the chances we do get...Willock last season should be case in point for the value of midfielders with an attacking threat. 

Because at the moment, even if we scored 3, our opponents would probably get 4. We’re still creating chances, but we’re allowing the opponents to have far more. We need to tighten up, start to keep possession and pass around more, and more chances will come. We need to improve all over the pitch, admittedly, but we should be getting more out of the alleged creative players we have right now rather than concentrating on buying one/some. 

39 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Because at the moment, even if we scored 3, our opponents would probably get 4. We’re still creating chances, but we’re allowing the opponents to have far more. We need to tighten up, start to keep possession and pass around more, and more chances will come. We need to improve all over the pitch, admittedly, but we should be getting more out of the alleged creative players we have right now rather than concentrating on buying one/some. 

But we're not scoring 3 and big guns aside we're not conceding 4. 

Defence quite clearly needs improving, I agree with that, but we've arguably equally poor in the GS column.

Woods won't magically fix that will he? And if that is the plan then hoping our consistently low scoring midfielders start to chip in seems like an I'll thought out strategy imo. 

Lewis Dunk?

Having a quick scan: Diop (West Ham), Mee/Tarkowski (Burnley), Phillips (Liverpool), Jones (Man Utd), Boly/Coady (Wolves), Rodon (Spurs), and Holding (Arsenal) would appear to the best of not the most exciting options in the world who we could theoretically attract (based on Wood making the jump).

Think Diop or Dunk would improve us quite a bit, but couldn't say the same about the others, and with Dunk contracted to 2025 and seemingly very settled I'm not convinced he'd be available anyway. Always quite liked him and he can play a bit.

It's looking like Chris Wood-esq signings (on similar contract length) are our best bet this window. As long as we avoid any Samba at QPR silliness, they and the few bits of quality in the current crop, plus three other sides being turbo dog dirt should be enough to see us ok. They would then become back ups as we get targets up our list in the summer and leave the club by the time we're growing past them. 

Very weary of us spending big on our 4 and 5 choice targets and sig ing them up to 5 year contract, only for them to not work out. We really could do without a big bucks version of Henry Saviet.

7 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Ake?

Ake has played 14 times for the best team in the country this season and City would only have 3 centre backs if they sold him.

He’s not close to realistic as a January signing.

So what do people believe the fewest number of players we could bring in this window to 'guarentee' we stay up?

A proper LWB and a CDM gives us the flexibility to go 3 at the back and not be reliant on Fraser and Murphy, now we've got Wood we can play ASM up top with him and Wilson, or behind them. Obviously an extra CB would be grand as well but I don't think it's as necessary as the other 2 positions.

With 4 at the back we look very clunky no matter which way we line up ahead of them without atleast 2 new midfielders, 3 if we're only playing 1 up top?

CM is the priority for me, we need a proper DCM IMO and maybe an ACM. LB can wait if Lewis returns and ideally we would bring in a CB and another CF, but I think if we would strengthen the midfield considerably, it would be a massive boon to both the defence and attack. 

I'd like a CAM but think after buying Wood for £25m Howe will probably be planning to play both him and Wilson up top. Although I think Wilson could play on the side of a front 3 too if needed, so if we go 4-3-3 there's probably room.

Edited by Hanshithispantz