Realistic Transfer Targets (2023/24)

joeyt

3 hours ago, Lotus said:

What about Akanji? Apparently won’t sign a new deal at Dortmund. Thought he would’ve been linked with a clubs now but haven’t read anything….

Linked to Bayern, but nowhere else for my knowledge.

15 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Dzeko perhaps if he’s made available for transfer with Lukaku returning to Inter.

He’s 36 and currently on £153kpw. Not a chance. 

If we’re not going ‘high end’ this summer for a striker would Morelos be worth a look? Last year of his contract so probably £8-10m? Pushes Wood further down the pecking order, gives us a bit of depth behind Wilson and we can revisit the number 9 position again when we’re competing in Europe hopefully?

Guest HTT II
Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

If we’re not going ‘high end’ this summer for a striker would Morelos be worth a look? Last year of his contract so probably £8-10m? Pushes Wood further down the pecking order, gives us a bit of depth behind Wilson and we can revisit the number 9 position again when we’re competing in Europe hopefully?

I’d have him, but my Rangers (and NUFC) supporting mate says he would flop massively in the PL and his only value would be his nuisance factor!

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think the guy is so underrated and doesn't get enough credit. Love the fire he plays with. He's like a budget/poor man's Luis Suarez. What really caught my eye with him, were his performances in Europe with Rangers, where he usually rose to the occasion, and performed at a really high level, often carrying them.

2 hours ago, HTT II said:

I’d have him, but my Rangers (and NUFC) supporting mate says he would flop massively in the PL and his only value would be his nuisance factor!

I'm not so sure. He's got a lot of strings to his bow. He's very stocky and strong and so holds it up well, and when he does so uses the ball really well in his link up, runs the channels out wide and will carry the ball forward when he gets it, and his movement in the box is really good and gets him in scoring positions.

Rangers have played some decent European sides when he's been there and he's always looked the part, and had really good performances in those games. I'm surprised no one's taken a punt on him. Be interesting to see where he ends up next and how he'll get on.

2 hours ago, Ben said:

Wood will be our super sub this season, brought on to either hold the ball up, or smash a few about if we are looking for the win.

These two words do not belong in the same sentence, regardless of context. 'Wood will be our sub and prolific misser of easy headed chances' is more like it.

1 hour ago, Holmesy said:

These two words do not belong in the same sentence, regardless of context. 'Wood will be our sub and prolific misser of easy headed chances' is more like it.

Why don't we have a fresh start and give every player a clean slate for this season, some players are better than others but believe it or not we don't need a scapegoat, my memory of Wood last season was the penalty he scored under enormous pressure not the chances he missed.

Not sure why seemingly no one is going for Ridle Baku. Good age and a hard-working, reasonably speedy, hug the touchline RM/RWB. Wouldn’t cost more than 25m either you’d imagine.

Looks tailor-made for a high-pressing PL team (or ias a Conte style wingback).

this guy would solve a lot of our problems.

not sure how realistic it is, as he's been linked with Liverpool and Man Utd in recent weeks. but looks much improved after his spell in Bournemouth, can play ST/LW, knows the league, knows Howe, and is completely open about wanting to come back to the PL with something to prove. just makes sense on a lot of levels.

41 minutes ago, Big River said:

this guy would solve a lot of our problems.

not sure how realistic it is, as he's been linked with Liverpool and Man Utd in recent weeks. but looks much improved after his spell in Bournemouth, can play ST/LW, knows the league, knows Howe, and is completely open about wanting to come back to the PL with something to prove. just makes sense on a lot of levels.

Danjuma and Paqueta are the two no-brainer transfers we should be looking to make this summer. I get they won't be cheap but both supposedly have release clauses which are not completely prohibitive and they appear to be attainable, despite being a level above where we are right now. They would add so much value to the squad because of their ability to play in several positions and that versatility could be priceless in terms of helping the squad to evolve, especially in the short-term. While we are still apparently hamstrung by a lack of commercial deals, etc. we need to make sure what we do spend goes a long way and with these being able to slot in to different roles, they would be game-changing signings.

Their versatility also adds further value and they can change how we can play too. These two in particular can play can play in numerous systems and would not just be ‘slotting in’ somewhere for the sake of it. They can produce genuine quality in whichever position they are deployed and they’d allow us to make tactical tweaks during matches which would help cover for the lack of quality in depth we have at present.

If signings are amortised over the length of contracts (for FFP) and we plan to make big improvements to our commercial deals next year then I don't see it as such a major hurdle to splash out this summer should the right players become available. We'd only really be stretching the budget for the initial year of purchase & if these signings help us push for europe earlier they pay for themselves.

46 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

Surname is too hard to pronounce. 

Imagine Adam P trying to wrap his gums around that pronunciation. It would be a pure phlegmfest.

Edited by Nucasol