Realistic Transfer Targets (2023/24)

joeyt

On 05/02/2023 at 14:16, Mikky said:

Rafael Leao left on bench again - contract soon to enter final 12 - throw Maxi in the mix and do a deal

Leao has become massively overrated this season. 

50 minutes ago, TRC said:

Leao has become massively overrated this season. 

Wasn't he voted best player in Serie A last season? And put on a longlist for the Balloon d'Or

You'd think if he's had a poor season it would be due to bad form rather than poor ability

13 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Wasn't he voted best player in Serie A last season? And put on a longlist for the Balloon d'Or

You'd think if he's had a poor season it would be due to bad form rather than poor ability

From what I've seen hes pretty inconsistent, capable of the unbelieveable but can have an absolute stinker. Similar to ASM

Rice is absolute quality imo, don't get what people aren't seeing in him. The only things that make me not give him a second thought for us is his price, how unrealistic it is, and how suitable he is. Imo we can get someone cheaper that's maybe more suitable for us. It all depends on what Howe's thinking is though. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

We'd be up against Arsenal and Liverpool for Rice you would imagine.

Advantage over Arsenal is that he is pretty much nailed on as a starter here with a little more competition there so they may not value him quite as high as we do

Advantage over Liverpool is that they are going to tie themselves in knots with Bellingham so we can nip in quickly

The price tag is what obfuscates the Rice conversation. He just simply isn't worth £100m. He's very good at breaking up play and largely playing simple passes but that's where it ends - I think he'd be pretty crap for us in games where we're the dominant possession side. Other DMs can do his defensive work to a good degree while being way more influential at the other end of the pitch - Neves, Casemiro, Bruno etc.

He could be useful in a possession team that expects some dangerous turnovers in the opposition's third because the full backs are pushed right up.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

13 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

The price tag is what obfuscates the Rice conversation. He just simply isn't worth £100m. He's very good at breaking up play and largely playing simple passes but that's where it ends - I think he'd be pretty crap for us in games where we're the dominant possession side. Other DMs can do his defensive work to a good degree while being way more influential at the other end of the pitch - Neves, Casemiro, Bruno etc.

He could be useful in a possession team that expects some dangerous turnovers in the opposition's third because the full backs are pushed right up.

I think Rice would be class but agree on the price. Neves is a much more achievable target and could run the midfield in the absence of Bruno (or in addition to). Hell of a shot outside the box too (and free kicks).

Edited by ExiledGeordie

If allowed to push on. He is decent driving forward. 

He always had great numbers for yards carried and accurate long balls on the other 14 last season. To go with his impressive defensive stats. 

Can’t say I’ve paid as much attention to their Twitter this year. But I’d imagine the numbers are still similar. 

Not worth the money he would cost, I agree. But he is more than just an anchor man who mainly only passes it 5-10 yards. 

19 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

If allowed to push on. He is decent driving forward. 

He always had great numbers for yards carried and accurate long balls on the other 14 last season. To go with his impressive defensive stats. 

Can’t say I’ve paid as much attention to their Twitter this year. But I’d imagine the numbers are still similar. 

Not worth the money he would cost, I agree. But he is more than just an anchor man who mainly only passes it 5-10 yards. 

Watch some of his compilations on YT, if you can be bothered [emoji38], and there are rarely any great passes in there that you'd expect from a player in the mix for best in his position imo. Agree that he can progress the ball very well when dribbling into space though. Most of my experience of watching him is for England where it feels like he's not been great when we've had a lot of the ball but it feels like he comes alive when games get stretched & he mops up, but this could be tactical.

Neves is a completely different kind of player to Rice though, not really comparable. 

Chelsea have just paid £108m for someone who might eventually be as good as him... he's immense. 

Would turn Liverpool back into title contenders you'd think, and vastly improve almost any other team in the league.

I like Neves but I haven't watched him closely enough to say if he could press and run about like we need. Also would probably wind up our fans with his constant long shots.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

With Rice you're not just paying for him being young and English but an almost guaranteed success. Aye there's cheaper from abroad but would they be as good as Rice is in this league? 80m for someone who could play in a top 4 side for the next 6 years at least isn't the worst business. 

I'm not sure I buy the 100+ million fee for Rice. The lad hasn't signed a new contract and tberefore is in the same position as many others with a year left in the summer. I don't think West Ham can keep asking for that.

edit: forget that - Wham have an option for another year.

Edited by ponsaelius