Zinchenko

Bissouma

Raul Jimenez

Dennis

Sarr

Gallagher

Tony

Diaz (Blackburn)

(Disclaimer: just throwing these names out there as options, by no means suggesting Tarkowski over Botman for example)

6 minutes ago, STM said:

Few PL names:

Tarkowski (on a free)

Stones

Ake

Broja

Phillips

Rafinha

Ward-Prowse

Zinchenko

Bissouma

Raul Jimenez

Dennis

Sarr

Gallagher

Tony

Diaz (Blackburn)

(Disclaimer: just throwing these names out there as options, by no means suggesting Tarkowski over Botman for example)

Would defo take Sarr for the RW spot - will have 2 years on his contract - so could get him for a knockdown price - Raphinha also is a good shout - will have plenty of options for the wing spots 

the rest - no - Man City aren’t selling - Chelsea may keep their loanees

Would prefer Pacqueta to JWP (like JWP though)

Gaya - LB

1 hour ago, STM said:

Here's one... would you take Pickford? :lol:

I'd throw him an offer out of morbid curiosity to see just how principled his mackemness is. If he went to accept I'd instantly rescind it. :lol:

1 hour ago, STM said:

Few PL names:

Tarkowski (on a free)

Stones

Ake

Broja

Phillips

Rafinha

Ward-Prowse

Zinchenko

Bissouma

Raul Jimenez

Dennis

Sarr

Gallagher

Tony

Diaz (Blackburn)

My thoughts:

Tarkowski (on a free) - good squad player/ competition for places

Stones - decent but I think he can be suspect at the back. Probably overvalued by Man City

Ake - better option but Man City will want most of the £40m back and he's not worth that right now

Broja - good player but wouldn't pay more than the £25m Southampton want to pay - the £40m that's been quoted is just too much

Phillips - good but again would be too expensive (£55m+ apparently)

Rafinha - I assume this is Leeds Raphinha, again good player but might be too pricey (£60m+) - he had a mare yesterday which makes me a bit more hesitant

Ward-Prowse - No chance, just signed a brand new 5 year deal in the summer and they're rich. If we want him it would cost Raphinha levels which is way too much

Zinchenko - good player but a little unsure. If he was available at around £25m, he might be a LB option

Bissouma - court case pending, leave for now. Incidentally Joelinton is out tackling him at the moment

Raul Jimenez - Shadow of the player since his head injury. 

Dennis - squad player if price is right but we have a lot of squad players. Probably pass.

Sarr - I think he's quality and could actually provide competition for places. As long as price is right.

Gallagher - Probably overvalued, rumour mill says he's £50m+. Not yet imo, he also had an anonymous game yesterday.

Tony - ?Ivan Toney - if it is. Decent striker but he's a decent striker but I wouldn't expect more than 10 goals from him for around £30m. I think we could do better - prefer Broja at £25m

Diaz (Blackburn) - not sure he could step up and wonder about price. Blackburn have option to extend contract by 1 year so contract would expire in 2023, so should not be too much. Again wouldn't be my choice as we have a 25 man squad limit and I think most of the current first team aren't good enough for top 7 (if we aim for that next year).

1 hour ago, Mikky said:

Would defo take Sarr for the RW spot - will have 2 years on his contract - so could get him for a knockdown price - Raphinha also is a good shout - will have plenty of options for the wing spots 

the rest - no - Man City aren’t selling - Chelsea may keep their loanees

Would prefer Pacqueta to JWP (like JWP though)

Gaya - LB

I agree with a lot of this. Pacqueta from Lyon plays a different role to JWP, he's more an attacking midfielder who can play off the wing like an inside forward. If we drop Paqueta into our current formation he'd probably be in Fraser's spot - he could play the Willock role I guess. Meanwhile JWP plays deeper in the heart of midfield and sits with Romeu, kinda like the Shelvey role but as a double pivot. 

Gaya is a good shout but Valencia would want crazy money. He's highly valued there and their captain. Barcelona's manager, Xavi, wanted him in January and Valencia were quoting 50m+ - that's too much imo.

I've said before but I think Gosen and 2 CB is hinting at 3-4-3, so two good shouts for the Gosen role (LM) would be Kostic at Frankfurt and Sosa at Stuttgart. We've been linked with Kostic recently and although older than Sosa (29 vs 25), he is more defensively solid so could play LB as well.

Great video showing the above two in action. Stuttgart are in threat of relegation and Kostic has 1 year left on his deal so both would be reasonable priced - £10-15m.

1 hour ago, STM said:

Here's one... would you take Pickford? :lol:

I would, but, long-term, he’s not and never will be the answer. I’d tempt Man Utd with a massive offer for de Gea

So IF we stay up - we are looking at?

CB

LB

LB - cover?

CM

RW

CF

6 first team

1 back up left back

would lile to see 1 more winger 

for argument how about 

D Carlos - Kostic - Bakker(up) - Pacqueta - Sarr - Lingard - Isak

And either Tolisso or Kessie

Edited by Mikky

2 hours ago, STM said:

Few PL names:

Tarkowski (on a free) As a squad player yes

Stones As a first-teamer yes 

Ake As a first-teamer yes 

Broja As a squad player yes 

Phillips As a first-teamer yes 

Rafinha As a first-teamer yes 

Ward-Prowse Yes, but unsure where he would fit in alongside Bruno

Zinchenko Yes, but I think we could do better, his quality is heightened by never really having to defend much 

Bissouma Yes, if not a rapist

Raul Jimenez Yes, but as daft as this sounds, I think we can do better, in terms of someone with more pace and mobility anyway

Dennis I don’t know much about him

Sarr Yes, as a first-teamer

Gallagher YES YES YES

Tony YES YES YES

Diaz (Blackburn) Yes, but again I think we can do better and only as a squad player

Just sign them all!

8 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I would, but, long-term, he’s not and never will be the answer. I’d tempt Man Utd with a massive offer for de Gea

Do you know who would be available with a massive offer this Summer?

Jan Oblak

Not having the best season, still only 28 and Atletico might be willing to cash in. Still would be world record for goalkeeper amounts but at his peak is even better than De Gea imo. Only issue is if we have say £200m kitty, we need to prioritise CB, Striker and another goal threat but if we could somehow balance the books ... :hmm:

Edited by Phoenix711

I’d sign Targett permanently btw, ideally as a top quality squad player, but I’d be happy going into next season with him as our LB and we also have to be realistic here with regards to who we can and should sign. 

1 minute ago, Phoenix711 said:

Do you know who would be available with a massive offer this Summer?

Jan Oblak

Not having the best season, still only 28 and Atletico might be willing to cash in. Still would be world record for goalkeeper amounts but at his peak is even better than De Gea imo. Only issue is if we have say £200m kitty, we need to prioritise CB, Striker and another goal threat but if we could somehow balance the books ... :hmm:

My knowledge of football these days is non existent thanks to Ashley and Bruce, I have rarely watched any football, not even NUFC. 

3 minutes ago, Mikky said:

CB

LB

LB - cover?

CM

RW

CF

6 first team

1 back up left back

for argument how about 

It depends on the formation. Right now we are a 4-3-3 but Howe "could" play 4-4-2 (unlikely) or as I've said go for a 3-4-3. The players even in the same "position" would be completely different e.g. 4-4-2 you would need one midfield to be a DM like Bissouma but in a 3-4-3 you could remove that role because one of the CB would be required to step into that space.

Even within the same formation there's variation, great video showing different variations of a RB

I guess we would need to pick a formation/ wait for Howe and then decide from there. And I haven't said this because we don't know the formation, but many suggestion don't fit the tactics and so are non starters to begin with.

For instance, a keeper like Livakovic (Croatia Number 1) may be a non starter because he does not excel at distribution despite being, imo, the best value keeper available at the moment - think prime Dubravka (minus clangers) for around £10m.

If we are looking for a 3-4-3 then the striker needs to be excellent in the air and the wide men need to be excellent crossers (Trippier is perfect for the right). One of the CB needs to be left footed or comfortable playing on the left of a 3 man defence. Both midfielders need to be good pressers, mobile and have good vision/passing (Joelinton lacks the last at the moment). 

I also would take a good look at the Free Market, there are some excellent options but might be hard to convince e.g. Kamara, Mazroui, Tarkowski, Dan-Axel Zagadou.

Tarkowski - No. Doesn't improve us at all. 

Stones - Yes

Ake - Yes

Broja - Yes

Phillips - Yes

Rafinha - Yes

Ward-Prowse - Maybe. Worry about his pace. 

Zinchenko - Yes

Bissouma - If he's innocent 

Raul Jimenez - Yes

Dennis - Depends on his form till the end of the year. Worried its just a purple patch. 

Sarr - Yes

Gallagher - Yes

Tony - Yes

Diaz (Blackburn) - No. 

Paqueta and Nkunku 😉 and I won't care who else... Unrealistic "maybe" but how dreamy would these two with ASM be and then Bruno and another strong CM next to him. 

Expensive as feck and very unlikely. But I thought the same about Bruno, even though he might not be quite as highly regarded. One can dream :lol:

1 hour ago, Mikky said:

CB

LB

LB - cover?

CM

RW

CF

6 first team

1 back up left back

for argument how about 

And either Tolisso or Kessie

Realised I didn't answer this. My suggestion would be a 3-4-3 (solely based on what I think Howe wanted) and so we would keep ASM, Trippier and Guimaraes which would mean we need:

GK - sweeper keeper who can distribute

LCB - left sided center back who can carry the ball from defence

CB - Faster Center back who can act as cover and martial the defence

RCB - same as LCB but ideally right footed

LM - Wingback like role who crosses from wide and runs up and down the channel

LCM - Partner Guimaraes in midfield, needs to be a good tackler/ presser and distributer

RW - More likely to be an inside forward, drifts in and scores/ creates goals

CF - must be good aerially (because we have 2 crossers), good at linking up with the two wingers and be a fox in the box. Ideally can lead the line and hold up the ball.

I'll ignore subs, but we could get around with some of the current squad for these roles. But IMO, only if we have a CL quality player in these roles could we challenge for something beyond 7. 

My suggestions, some are a bit unrealistic albeit on Guimaraes level and not Mbappe level i.e. unlikely but not impossible

GK - Nubel (Neur 2.0, back up to Neur, doing well at loan on Monaco)

LCB - Botman/ Schlotterbeck

CB - Tapsoba (might be expensive), cheaper option is Diego Carlos

RCB - Dan Axel-Zagadou (Free) or Tarkowski (Free)

LM - Kostic alt: Sosa

LCM: Tchouameni (probably unrealistic) so Kamara (Free) - might be hard if Man Utd get CL or Florian Grillitch (Free). Could even try and re-mold Joelinton. We have also been linked with Fabian Ruiz from Napoli who could play here but again would be costly.

RW: Nkunku is my number 1 choice because he will score goals and assists but could cost £60m. Alt: Paqueta, this is where he plays for Lyon but PSG might buy him in the summer. Others include Raphinha, Antony, Darwin Nunez.

CF: Schick - good with right, left foot and head. At 6ft 3 good height and has been prolific. I like Gouiri and Jonathan David but both don't excel in heading.

Some of the above might be too expensive, but we'll see.

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

My knowledge of football these days is non existent thanks to Ashley and Bruce, I have rarely watched any football, not even NUFC. 

I was in a similar situation. Probably watch more games in the Championship than the EPL, just came a bit disillusioned but Newcastle is the only team I'd follow. When the transfer window opened I got a bit excited for once and started looking at signings. Then started to feel many of these might be out of reach (Guimaraes was on my list) but then we signed Guimaraes and the names we've been linked with are the ones you'd expect top 4 clubs to go for - I was genuinely worried we'd end up with Bale and co. So now I'm being a bit more optimistic for the future - there was a quote apparently that Howe is aiming for "world class" players but found it difficult in January so I'm really hoping we continue to try for Guimaraes's. 

43 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Paqueta and Nkunku 😉 and I won't care who else... Unrealistic "maybe" but how dreamy would these two with ASM be and then Bruno and another strong CM next to him. 

Expensive as feck and very unlikely. But I thought the same about Bruno, even though he might not be quite as highly regarded. One can dream :lol:

Yh, I saw you liked Nkunku too. I don't think we'll play 4-2-3-1, Howe has never played that before and it's not the most defensively robust. If he only goes with 3 forwards and ASM takes one, I think we can only have one from Nkunku or Paqueta. We could play Pacqueta in midfield but then I think there are better options if we were going to do that.

Regardless of who are realistic targets and their values, I think there will be a budget and regardless of how brilliant they are if over and above that budget including wages they won't take them on, word will soon get around that we won't be taken for a ride.

30 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

I would too. 

How come, just because he's left footed?

Stones has hit a higher ceiling than Ake ever has and Ake has looked all over the place when he's played for Man City

9 minutes ago, joeyt said:

How come, just because he's left footed?

Stones has hit a higher ceiling than Ake ever has and Ake has looked all over the place when he's played for Man City

The problem at the moment is neither of them are put under pressure, so it's hard to really know how good defensively they are.